NEED HELP Replaced TPS with no effect

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
I had a clunk while in drive, full stop with foot on brake pedal. Took it to reputable Transmission shop. They did the service everything looks good but the mechanic told me the clunk is being caused by the TPS not letting the trans downshift. I replaced my TPS and throttle body from Rock Auto with an OEM. I’ve disconnected negative battery, replaced the TB then let the car sit for 30 minutes, connected the battery , started up and OBD2 scanner shows TPS still at 25-29%. Any ideas?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wow... That mechanic obviously doesnt know about the TSB regarding this issue..

I will have to look around to see if I can find the TSB..

But basically, your slip yoke at the transmission/transfer case is in a bind from being dry.

The fix is really simple. Pull the driveshaft, lube the slip yoke with grease, reinstall. And if that doesnt fix it, then a driveshaft repair is required, which is talked about in the TSB. Cant remember what it was specifically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I found a thread talking about it... But this specific link has the TSB listed in it..

Reactions: Mooseman

Fishnbob

Original poster
May 14, 2023
OC
I found a thread talking about it... But this specific link has the TSB listed in it..

Thanks! I did the AWD delete but I did not check the fluid on the transfer case which I should have done. I’ll be doing this tomorrow along with replacing the rear diff fluid. Sucks man but this is also why I’m going to a local community college here and getting my general mechanic cert. I hate relying on anyone else to diagnose!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's not the fluid in the transfer case. It's the splines in the slip yoke to the rear driveshaft that needs some grease. But the fluid in the transfer case should be changed if it's never been done, even if it's not used.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod