Replaced plugs, cleaned TB, now have reduced power and SES lights.... :(

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
BRomanJr said:
Not true, The Tire Store I use for Tires and Service has a Tech II, They used it to re-program my new-to-me NAV Head Unit. They have the subscription to program all Modules too.

It doesn't' matter. Could be a Chinese ripoff for all we know. On the surface they Look the same.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
CaptainXL said:
It doesn't' matter. Could be a Chinese ripoff for all we know. On the surface they Look the same.

Yes, It could be, but they don't usually skimp on tools, and It is a Tech II either way and gets the job done.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
BRomanJr said:
Yes, It could be, but they don't usually skimp on tools, and It is a Tech II either way and gets the job done.
The official Tech II is made by an American company (not GM) and they are widely available to independent mechanics and the consumer with deep pockets. If you avoid the Chinese ripoffs on Ebay, and pay at least $2000, you can be assured of getting the real deal. One member here owns one, as a matter of fact, and others have access to them at their day jobs. Makes me jealous. :hissyfit:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Partially true. While anyone can get a Tech2 second hand on eBay and such that does not mean it will able to get future updates and support from Bosch or Vetronics. Let alone being able to download updates from the GM TIS web. This pretty much makes it a dealer only or other gm licensed and authorized service center product.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Partially true. While anyone can get a Tech2 second hand on eBay and such that does not mean it will able to get future updates and support from Bosch or Vetronics. Let alone being able to download updates from the GM TIS web. This pretty much makes it a dealer only or other gm licensed and authorized service center product.

So ANYONE who gets "GM Licensed" can access the Updates and the GM TIS web, company or private citizen. Right?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
BRomanJr said:
So ANYONE who gets "GM Licensed" can access the Updates and the GM TIS web, company or private citizen. Right?

Looks like my facts were a bit twisted. Sorry about that. Here are the facts.

So to set the record straight I just called GM and there are a few options.

1) The first option is purchasing through GM Service and Parts Operations and requesting one for your dealership. They have their own support team.

2) The second option is to purchase one through Kent Moore using GM's professional license extension program. Basically this means any other dealer or shop can use the Tech2 provided that they adhere to GM's policy.

3) The third option is to purchase a Tech2 for personal use using a few of the regional sellers by Bosch. Bosch sells the Tech2. However you will not get any support from GM for its use. An optional warranty can be purchased through Bosch for its use however.

For all of the above you can download updates from the TIS website but the level of service differs depending on if you are a dealer, authorized service center or for personal use.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54

Members Online