Replace compressor clutch or whole compressor?

Djordan2

Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I took my 02 TB to the mechanic for a grinding noise coming from the compressor, mechanic said it was the AC clutch assembly. My question is is it worth it to only replace the assembly? The mechanic said that if the assembly is bad there is a 90% chance the compressor is bad to but the AC worked fine the only problem was the noise any ideas on what I should do?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A few folks here have changed just the clutch or the bearing where it sits, and retained the original compressor. A quick search should find those threads for you, with pictures. Depends on what you can buy a full compressor for and what the mechanic charges to evacuate the system, replace it, and recharge it accurately.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You cannot buy just the clutch and pulley, as stupid as that sounds. It is "all one piece" according to GM and no one has made replacement pulleys that I could find for some dumb reason. You can however find the pulley bearing from places like ebay. It is just a "generic" bearing so you have to get the right size. I forget what the proper dimensions are, I'll have to see if I can look it up.

However, something to be aware of as you may run into the same thing I did:

I got mine all apart and found that the pulley and clutch itself had worn down quite a lot. There was no removing the old bearing without breaking the pulley as the metal was really thin. I ended up going to a junkyard, buying a whole used compressor, and raiding it for the pulley and clutch plate. Then I swapped the bearing out on that one (didn't want to have to take it all apart again later), and put that pulley and clutch on my existing AC compressor. I have a spare compressor now if I ever need it, but my issue was simply the pulley bearing making a racket.

Be aware, it wasn't easy getting to the thing. You have to take off the fan clutch from the water pump and remove the radiator shroud and fan to get enough room. Basically had the front end of the truck disassembled to get to the darn thing :hissyfit:

If you don't mind doing stuff like that yourself, have at it. You can save a lot. But if you have to pay a mechanic to take it all apart to fix it, the added cost of replacing the compressor might not be that much more by that point. What would he charge to replace just the pulley vs the whole thing?

Djordan2

Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
He wanted 800 to do the entire compressor with a used 100 dollar junkyard compressor and 400 to replace the clutch, but I do have the clutch and pulley (advance auto)

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
advance auto carries a pulley and clutch now?? Awesome. Mind posting the part number?

Djordan2

Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
Well I'm not sure for a 05 envoy but if you look up a 2002 trailblazer you get part number 48655

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It says "compressor type HT6" - makes me wonder if different year trucks may have had a couple different compressors (and thus different clutches)

Djordan2

Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
So do you think it would be easier to replace the clutch over the compressor at this time?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yes.

To replace the compressor you have to tear apart the same stuff as just doing the clutch, plus then you have to empty the AC system, replace the compressor and the drier, pull a vacuum, recharge the system, etc... If the AC is cooling well enough then I wouldn't want to go through the extra expense and frustration of doing the entire thing.

I still have the original compressor on my 2002 (with a replacement clutch), 180k miles, still works just fine.

If you were closer I'd help you out since I've done it before.

Djordan2

Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
Sparky said:
If you were closer I'd help you out since I've done it before.
That Would have been awesome. However, I called a Local Scrapyard and got a compressor off a 2006 TB for $100 and found a local mechanic that does some work for my Fire Department and he said he would replace the compressor and gas it back up for $150 so $250 for the compressor and the Labor. That route seems just as cheap as replacing the Clutch. Might go this route any Concerns I might need to look for?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You may have a few knicknacks that may need replaced too along the way like O rings and stuff when you take it apart (they shouldn't be reused if you don't want it to leak), and the drier should always be replaced any time the system is opened up.

Djordan2

Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
He did say he would replace the drier and the orifice tube as well. The O-rings i'm not sure about.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I may or may not have a set of compressor O-rings laying around. Try Advance Auto and see what they quote you for a new compressor. I recall being in a bind one time and bought a Tough One Ac Compressor for 187.00 New. I'd have to dig out the receipt. But I would go new if you can get a decent price on one.

Djordan2

Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
Just picked up the TB from the mechanic. Mechanic said it was a routine compressor replacement with no issues and the system looked very clean. He also said the other compressor worked very well it just needed a clutch. Air works fine so far seems pretty cool, maybe not as cool when the vehicle is idling but I plan on calling him tomorrow about that. He even let me keep the old compressor..lol View attachment 28843
Here she is fresh out the shop a little dirty need to wash her!!!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371156277.945500.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371156277.945500.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 84

jme2712

Apr 30, 2013
Sparky said:
advance auto carries a pulley and clutch now?? Awesome. Mind posting the part number?

I wonder if this will work with the 02 Envoy. Airparts doesn't have any instock.

jme2712

Apr 30, 2013
meerschm;145424 said:
Did Air Parts give you an estimate when they would have rebuilt clutch in stock? could just be the start of the busy season.
No they didn't. I guess I should ask for one. Then again I'm not sure that's what's wrong with my ac. I need the proper gap measurements and then I can go from there.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
jme2712 said:
I wonder if this will work with the 02 Envoy. Airparts doesn't have any instock.

I think so. There should be little to no difference in the engine and attached accessories between the Chevy and the GMC.

meerschm's idea would work however, that's the route I took, although you'd still have a used pulley bearing with unknown life left.

Found the bearing I used on mine, it is a 35x50x20 mm bearing

New AC Compressor Pulley Clutch Bearing 35BG05S7GD 35mm 50mm 20mm 35x50x20 | eBay

jme2712

Apr 30, 2013
Sparky said:
I think so. There should be little to no difference in the engine and attached accessories between the Chevy and the GMC.

meerschm's idea would work however, that's the route I took, although you'd still have a used pulley bearing with unknown life left.

Found the bearing I used on mine, it is a 35x50x20 mm bearing

New AC Compressor Pulley Clutch Bearing 35BG05S7GD 35mm 50mm 20mm 35x50x20 | eBay

I'm in the Cincy area. You should help me change the clutch out :smile:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Heh, I could if we can get schedules to mesh. Pizza and beer for lunch and we're on it :biggrin:

bastenblood

Dec 22, 2011
My A/C clutch engages for a few seconds every minute , wich makes the rpm drop to 550 everytime , on or off .

Did I need to check the the compressor and clutch or there is other issues like a leak or a sensor to check ?

A/C is not so cold too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online