Removing Exterior Molding

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
So I have an 07 Envoy. And I hate the chrome molding on the doors, and the ENVOY lettering. Is there a way for me to remove it, so I can dip it, then put it back on? Or would it be easier to remove all together?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So I have an 07 Envoy. And I hate the chrome molding on the doors, and the ENVOY lettering. Is there a way for me to remove it, so I can dip it, then put it back on? Or would it be easier to remove all together?
Fishing line works great for removing them. Honestly you should leave them off, you can use an eraser wheel to remove any left over adhesive. Eraser wheels are magical things :cool:

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
what he said, also I would add a heat gun to warm up the tape makes it a bit easier to cut through with the line, if you don't care about saving them once you get like a 3rd of it started you can grab it and yank it off, I did mine in Winter time so the heat gun was a nice bit of help. and like he said a Rubber Eraser Wheel makes quick work of any double sided tape left behind, I used it for all that tape plus the tape from the old vent visors that where on the windows that I took off of mine

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@Traz If the door moldings are in good shape and your able get them off cleaning I'd like to take them off your hands... I live in NYC and I can't tell you how many times they have saved me or my wife from door dings.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Since we're on the topic... I have the 1st-gen moldings (the *really* wide ones), and my to-do list has removal of them on it.

With the eraser wheel - does one run it horizontally, vertically, both, or can I go any direction I want w/o worry for the paint?
(obviously, I've never used one before; yes, I could look it up, but I just got home and waiting for dinner to heat up...lol) Indulge me...lmao.

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Idk how great they are. It almost looks like the chrome is starting to bubble?

I do like the clean look

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Idk how great they are. It almost looks like the chrome is starting to bubble?

I do like the clean look

The bubbling is exactly what is happening to mine. I was planning on just pulling them off stripping them and rewrap them in a chrome or black wrap. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.20160116_102522.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online