Remove rear interior quarter panels (2003 LTZ)

PatM

Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I can't seem to figure out how to remove the cargo area side panels. I've got a dead amplifier that I want to replace and it's supposed to be behind the panels.

Anyone have a link to the process or can give me a starting point? It's looking like the carpet has to come up or something...
Thanks!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
On my 04 ext, there's about ten screws going along the bottom and it looks like the plastic around the hatch latch has to be popped out. Look about one inch above the floor on the panel, screws galore on mine...maybe yours are hidden since it's an LT, mines an LS and the screws are very accessible and visible.

Carpet can't (easily) come out without the panel removed because it goes under them.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The side panels are held to the body by clips around the perimeter. The EXTs have screws due to the rear HVAC system being on one side, the jack and wheel chocks being on the other. Don't recall if the SWBs have any screws, if there are any visible, then remove them. The C and D pillars overlap the top of the panels, so you will have to pop the bottom sections of those loose first. If you have a trim panel removal tool, to get behind the rubber surrounds for better leverage, that will be helpful, otherwise just work your fingers behind one of the edges, and pull.

Reactions: Mounce

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had mine apart doing my body work on my truck earlier this spring. It is a multi step process. You will need a large torx socket. Carpet does not have to be pulled.

Open the rear door, then pull the plastic piece that runs between the carpet and the door opening. It is just held in by plastic tabs. Same with the plastic piece at the liftgate floor.

Unbolt the seatbelt at the top. I'm trying to remember if the upper part of the trim has any screws. If so, pull them. The interior panels are mostly held in by clips. The upper has to come off first, then you can remove the lower. The plastic knobs/bumpers at the back liftgate area need unscrewed and removed.

I know this isn't very detailed but it should help you get started anyway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online