Recent Tire Noise Got Really Loud

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
597
Had my tires rotated about a month ago. There was some suspected toe-in, as the outer edges of my tires were wearing down. Ever since getting them rotated, they have been really noisy. They are the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2's. Now the original Revos lasted 40k miles for me, and never had a period of tire noise like these. The tire noise from these tires at about 18k miles sounds like I have mud tires on, and the faster I'm going down the road the louder it gets. Just this week I had the tires balanced, and I was just going to wait to get new tires before having it aligned again.

Just wondering if anyone else has had tire noise with these tires, or if something else is out of whack? The Revo 2's feature a tread pattern that is closer together then the originals, making them slightly less capable for off road situations, so you'd think they would have worn better and if anything had less tire noise, but just the opposite has been true in regards to the noise.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Front wheel bearings going south can sound like tire noise. Does it change sounds at all turning slightly left or right?
 
Jan 21, 2012
58
when the tires were rotated were they moved front to back same side or did they crisscross them? if they were criss crossed that could be the problem. tires will take a set when wearing and if they criss cross them the tires are now rotating backwards to the set. put them back the way they were and see what happens noise wise.
 

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
597
the roadie said:
Front wheel bearings going south can sound like tire noise. Does it change sounds at all turning slightly left or right?

Mmm no its constant no matter how I'm turning.

Enderbygrandpa said:
when the tires were rotated were they moved front to back same side or did they crisscross them? if they were criss crossed that could be the problem. tires will take a set when wearing and if they criss cross them the tires are now rotating backwards to the set. put them back the way they were and see what happens noise wise.

Well, my fault, after I got an all-new suspension, I never got an alignment. And this was right after I got new tires, and I went 15k miles without a rotation. Then, last month (when the noise started) I had them rotated, fronts were criss crossed and put on the rears, and the rears were brought straight up to the front. I've never gone that far without rotation before, so maybe between the misalignment, and the tires rolling opposite of how they were is causing the noise? I'm ok with the noise so long as the problem is ONLY coming from the tires, and not a cv half shaft or anything like that.
 

dp28688

Member
Dec 12, 2011
21
I have Firestone Destination A/T tires and as they get older they got loud. Alignment/balance checked good and bearing also just the tires wear weird causing my noise. i was told just keep rotating the tires often all i could do. ill be trying different brand tire or style next change.
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
DenaliHD66 said:
Mmm no its constant no matter how I'm turning......
What Roadie is referring to is if you are heading down the highway at whatever speed the roaring is the loudest, bump the steering wheel from like 12 to 1 or 12 to 11. Just a slight turn while at speed. If the noise stops(gets less) when bumping 12-1 then it is your left wheel bearing. If it stops when you go from 12-11 then it is the right wheel bearing.
When they first start to go this is the only indication. you can take them off and look at them, rock them back and forth with the wheel on etc and they still seem really tight. When I replaced mine the only indication besides the noise was when I took it off and spun it, the grease felt like it was a little "thick". I could feel no grinding or anything.

My factory ones needed replacing at about 90k of mostly highway miles.
I got a set off of ebay for $76 and they have been good for about 7k miles.
 

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
597
navigator said:
What Roadie is referring to is if you are heading down the highway at whatever speed the roaring is the loudest, bump the steering wheel from like 12 to 1 or 12 to 11. Just a slight turn while at speed. If the noise stops(gets less) when bumping 12-1 then it is your left wheel bearing. If it stops when you go from 12-11 then it is the right wheel bearing.
When they first start to go this is the only indication. you can take them off and look at them, rock them back and forth with the wheel on etc and they still seem really tight. When I replaced mine the only indication besides the noise was when I took it off and spun it, the grease felt like it was a little "thick". I could feel no grinding or anything.

My factory ones needed replacing at about 90k of mostly highway miles.
I got a set off of ebay for $76 and they have been good for about 7k miles.

Yeah I need to conclude which side it is, but I did try doing that today before reading this post. The noise did get noticeably quieter when I did those quick turns from side to side. Probably end up replacing all of them anyway. Coming up on 100k miles on the truck. I'm sure the front ones wear out faster than the rear ones? I hate changing 1 part out at a time... I'm OCD when it comes to symmetry. Hey that rhymed.
 

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
597
Any suggestions on wheel bearing brand? Checking out Rock Auto right now. They are found under the Brakes/Wheel Hub section. Is it all the same part for all 4 wheels?
 

Matt

Member
Dec 2, 2011
4,029
DenaliHD66 said:
Any suggestions on wheel bearing brand? Checking out Rock Auto right now. They are found under the Brakes/Wheel Hub section. Is it all the same part for all 4 wheels?

The Timkens, AFAIK, are the best for quality. I got a supposedly quality American made part that lasted about 18K. For another $25 I could have gotten the Timken.

You have to get the whole hub, the bearings are N/S. On Rock Auto they are in the Brake/Wheel Hub section under Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly. Timken part #513188 $147.99 each.
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,494
Ottawa, ON
Definitely Timken. Stay away from cheap chinese crap, including Raybestos. I returned two of them after one grenaded after about 2 months. Except for Timken, not sure if any are made in the USA. SKF are also probably good but overpriced.
 

MacMan

Member
Mar 3, 2012
194
DenaliHD66 said:
.....Is it all the same part for all 4 wheels?
HUH??? The wheel bearings Roadie mentions are the front only.

BTW, what did you mean when you said "I got an all-new suspension"?
 

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
597
MacMan said:
HUH??? The wheel bearings Roadie mentions are the front only.

BTW, what did you mean when you said "I got an all-new suspension"?

Right, but I was debating to replace all 4 bearings on all the tires just to be done with it. Are there different ones for the rear wheels? Is the 147.99 for each one, so I'd need to order 2... doesn't seem to indicate whether they are in a set of 2 or not on Rockauto.

Also, is there a point of failure on these? Like mine are making noise now, so I'm wondering how long I can stretch it out before I need to replace it, or am I looking at something catastrophic if I don't replace them asap?

Bilstein HD shocks on all 4's
Airlift 1000
Hotchkis Sway Bar + front bushings

And I've had clunking noises ever since that I can't figure out :/
 

Wyle

Member
Dec 4, 2011
200
Matt said:
The Timkens, AFAIK, are the best for quality. I got a supposedly quality American made part that lasted about 18K. For another $25 I could have gotten the Timken.

You have to get the whole hub, the bearings are N/S. On Rock Auto they are in the Brake/Wheel Hub section under Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly. Timken part #513188 $147.99 each.

After reading many threads here and on the OS for 6 months, I knew what it was when I started hearing a grinding noise when turning right.
Jumped on Rock Auto just now, but they only show ACDelco hubs for $253. Any info on supply of Timkens or other sources for them?

OK, just searched for the Timken part number on RockAuto. It shows up and says they're good for 2002-2009 TB. Hmmmm.
Time for a quick email to RA. Hopefully just a catalog glitch.

Edit: Pays to read. Matt is right; they're under the "Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly". The ACDelco ones are under the "Hub" sub-section. Two sections for same part. Time for a catalog edit, I think.
 

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
597
Wyle said:
After reading many threads here and on the OS for 6 months, I knew what it was when I started hearing a grinding noise when turning right.
Jumped on Rock Auto just now, but they only show ACDelco hubs for $253. Any info on supply of Timkens or other sources for them?

OK, just searched for the Timken part number on RockAuto. It shows up and says they're good for 2002-2009 TB. Hmmmm.
Time for a quick email to RA. Hopefully just a catalog glitch.

Edit: Pays to read. Matt is right; they're under the "Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly". The ACDelco ones are under the "Hub" sub-section. Two sections for same part. Time for a catalog edit, I think.

Ended up buying my Timken's on Amazon. Out the door with shipping they were cheaper, with free super saver shipping. Amazon customer service has been phenomenal for me over the years so it was an easy decision. Also bought a bar of cv half shafts on Amazon, priced higher than the ones on rock auto, and spent $20 more overall but again I love Amazon for most of my parts.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
I've had good service from both places so I'll tally up my total order and see which is cheaper. Sometimes if I'm really being a cheapskate I'll have a partial order from each place to save that last buck or two :rotfl:

FWIW I had a Timken go bad early on my Trailblazer for some reason. Covered under warranty, so not a big deal, but it was a little disheartening. A friend works for Timken so I gave him a hard time about it! Hehe.
 

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
597
Replaced both CV half shafts with new Cardones
Replaced front hub bearings with Timkens

Steering vibration is gone. Overall vibration is gone. Noise is gone. Metal clattering sound at speed is gone. Not sure if its because I drove around a GMC Acadia for the last 10 days, but my brakes felt really firm. Worked fine, but I liked the feel of them and they weren't mushy at all.

Apparently they also fixed a sub-frame body mount, near the engine bay, not quite sure the details because I had to leave, but that didn't solve any clunking noise, but anything helps.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,396
Posts
638,821
Members
18,610
Latest member
Amri

Members Online