Recall: HF Pittburgh jack stands

Mooseman

I just received an email from HF about this recall because I have bought four of the 6 ton version. And I had just used them recently too.

Since we don't have HF in Canada, what am I supposed to do with them? The closest one is in Pottsdam NY and the border is still closed for at least another month, and I don't plan on travelling to the US just for this or anything else.

Anyway, if you have these you should stop using them and bring them back. According to this article, there about 450,000 of them in circulation.

Last edited:

aaserv

I been laying under 4 of them for the last 6 months. I didnt trust them because Id have em on say the 3rd notch and slide em over a feet and they would drop...Seemed to me if they would drop like that they would drop if the car got bumped or something. I backed them up with house jacks , glad I did...

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

I think it has to do with the flats on the ratchet notches that if the lock doesn't fully engage inside the notch, it can just drop. Otherwise I can't see how they can come out of the notch if it's in properly.

Princess Auto (Canada's version of HF) has their Pro Point brand that looks very similar however, their newer version now has an additional safety pin that goes across the next notch above so even if the ratchet were to fail somehow, the pin will prevent the collapse.

And I remembered seeing this video.

Mounce

Took my pair of 3 tons back today. Need to replace them but they didn't have any in stock if you could imagine..

Beacon

I feel lucky that my laziness has saved me. I just bought another pair of jack stands last fall, and was too lazy to drive all the way to if even though I knew I could get them cheaper there.
I wonder how many people have been hurt by these?

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

There is a lawsuit but sounds looks like a feeler to attract those that have been injured.

This article says that there is no mention of actual injuries or deaths with them.

I've noticed many similarities to Princess Auto's stands to the HF. I just fired off an email to them to see if they happen to be from the same source.

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

Here's another video that came up and shows the difference between the new replacement ones and the defective ones and how it can collapse.

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

And another one compared to the replacements:

OP
OP
Mooseman

Mooseman

Got a response back from Princess Auto:

We are sorry for the delay in response due to the volumes of email correspondence being received,

The stands carried by Princess Auto are produced in a separate facility, and purchased from a separate vendor to the one that impacted items carried by Harbor Freight. Quality assurance testing, continues to pass on the product being purchased/received, meaning that there is no current reason to doubt their safe use within the application that they are designed for.

Mounce

Went to HF today for something. Forgot to look at the display so I asked the cashier and he said they had no idea when they'd get some back in stock.

Anyone have experience with the aluminum models? I need some more desperately right now but I'm not sure I trust aluminum. Haven't looked at other options yet, so I'll do that now lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Answered questions
Members
Latest member
ADRasmus