Rear Wheel Bearings A Tad Loose

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So I was checking the rear wheel seals today and noticed they were leaking a bit. Had oil all throughout the parking brake assembly. I realize I need to replace the wheel seals but I need to know if the bearings need to be changed as well.

Basically to check the bearings I rocked the axle up and down at the 12 and 6 position. I could hear it knock a little indicating a small gap. But not sure if this gap is within tolerance or not. I have no dial indicator to get a specific measurement. Would it be safe to say that any movement is not good?

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
Even after I replaced my bearings, I still had a little bit of play. Maybe a couple of millimeters, if I remember correctly. Felt better than before, but not by a huge amount. Just make sure, if you do decide to replace the bearings, to get good ones. This is what happened to one of my AutoZone cheapies, about a month and a half after it was installed.

And the axle fluid came out looking like watered-down never seize...

Splurge, and get the Timkens! And.. Take an axle with you, and take it into the store. When I got my first replacement, I installed it into the truck, to find out the axle wouldnt slide all the way home. Took it back out, and went back to the parts store. Timken Bearing, right part number on the box, and right part number stamped on the bearing. They grabbed a second bearing and that one fit like a glove. That little SNAFU cost me an hour and a half, out of my day.:hissyfit:

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Conner299 said:
Even after I replaced my bearings, I still had a little bit of play. Maybe a couple of millimeters, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the confirmation. That is about how much slack I have as well. Not going to worry about it then. Just going to tackle the axle seals.

Conner299 said:
Splurge, and get the Timkens!

Definitely. Got two new Timken seals right next to me. I noticed the Timken bearings are about $45 a piece. Axle seals are about $10.

Dealer wants $390 to change them. A local shop wants $300 which isn't bad but I doubt they would be as thorough and clean up all the axle fluid and such. That right there is going to cost about $25 in brake cleaner. Plus you got $$ in synthetic 75W-90 as well. Just adds up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just check to be sure the bearings didn't wear a groove into the axles. Although this was a number of years ago ('82 S10), I had that happen to me. You can't miss it when you pull the axles.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Just my personal opinion...not knocking the Timkens...but I believe the Timkens are a 1-piece design. If the seals fail then you need to pull the bearing. I went with the stock GM bearings and separate seals.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
gmcman said:
Just my personal opinion...not knocking the Timkens...but I believe the Timkens are a 1-piece design. If the seals fail then you need to pull the bearing. I went with the stock GM bearings and separate seals.

Both The Acdelco and Timken seals and bearings are separate. Timken seals are about $10 a piece and bearings $45 ea.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's what I thought too. The only one I have ever seen that had an integrated seal was the special one I explained earlier like these:
Rear axle repair kit - SKF.ca/Products

I checked and they don't offer one like that for our platform however they do for the previous S platform.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online

No members online now.