rear view camera question

munkae

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
so i installed a kenwood ddx 418 and put a cam on the licence plate i have the camera powered by the acc so its on when the trucks on. but for the camera to automatically come up when i shift in to reverse i need a wire for that. do i have to go to the fuse panel for that or is there a wire in the dash somewhere that does that for me??? thank you in advance any help is appreciated

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Are you using the GMOS adapter? if so, you need to hook the camera wire from the radio harness to the green/purple off the GMOS.

munkae

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
not using the gmos adapter just the regular harness. i just dont want to run a wire to back of truck or fuse panel if theres one in the dash

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Curious , has anyone installed the rear view camera above the hatch, just above the upper red brake light?. It seems like a good location.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Never seen one there. Most put it between the license plate lights, I put it lower in the bumper and @Blckshdw put his in the hitch.

Reactions: Blckshdw

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
The reason im considering it is that that the image from up high has some advantages in perspective. Also access to the headliner is right there through an available body porthole under the brake light. The only downside I can see is that the camera is not going to have the bumper in view.

Last edited:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The height gives way less advantages over the disadvantages. The lower it is the easier to use it as an additional mirror to get you into the space you are backing into.

The Vegas line on the higher install:
Reinstall lower <=30 days
Reinstall lower >=30 days
quit using the camera overall

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Ouch , those facts hurt. I'm going to go through with the up-top install and I'll post pictures fron the camera. My own sense is that it is worth the risk since the difficulty of snaking the wires through the hatch are far more than routing them through the top. It's going to take me another month to wrap this up because I have 4 other mods I'm doing simultaneously.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online