rear suspension bottoming out on small bumps

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
99 4th gen TA 135K mile orginal bilstiens.
rear suspension bottoming out on small bumps.
a few months ago w/ a me an another 200LB passenger rear bottomed out, it was like bam.

car didn't do it much but did bam w/ just me I'm 215LBs that day besides spare tire the car was empty.

initially I thought shocks . tested shocks by pressing down multiple time on rear so see if it continued to bounce which it didn't.
so the new shocks I installed didn't fix this bottoming out bam

today on my trip w/ carryon bag 35LB + 50LB tool box in trunk each bridge w/ a dip she bammed.

I crawled under car the springs seam unbroken. doe's the 4th gens come w/ bump stops?
and if bump stops where worn out or flattened would this cause the bottoming out bam?

I feel this bam cruising over dips which applies presure to rear also the bam now on small bumps so it's getting progressively worst.hope it's safe to drive I'm 200 miles from home.
thanks for any advice

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Dont know much about F-Bodies.. But I know all vehicles, regardless of spring, or type, have bump stops. This could be what you are feeling.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
so the bump stops could be flattened worn or even missing.

the 4th gen f-bodys are so low can't realy see much under there I aimed my camera in the spring area didn't see the bump stops.

I'm visiting friends they don't have ramps or jack stands.
so what's exactly happening the bottom of cars body is beating on top of suspension when there should be rubber inbetween this area.
I've unloaded the toolbox which I always travel w/ an carryon bag but is less than 100LBs I've had checkin 70LB bags 45LB carryone an laptop bag another 20LB never heard this bam.
could missing BS cause serious damage?

thanks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This is supposed to be the actual location of them on a 4th Gen.. But the pic doesnt look right to me..

Not to bad in price either for replacements..

1993-2002 Camaro/Firebird Rear Bump Stops

The thread I was just reading on LS1Tech indicates you dont want to drive long with them bad as its at a location for the unibody to join for 3 different pieces. And causes the frame to collapse.

camaro bump stop video 003.MP4 - YouTube

Dont need ramps, just your cars tire jack, a tire iron, and a 13 or 15 mm ratchet

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
yeah when she bottomed out it was like bam an I wasn't even hauling ass like I usalley am.
apparently the body slams down on the rear end axel tubes. could repeated bams ruin the rear end and the axels inside the tubes?could I duck tape some temporary rubber like bicycle inner tubes untill I get home and order the correct parts? https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...azOkjQxMAi19xoCqG8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.dsthanks

Last edited:

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
This is supposed to be the actual location of them on a 4th Gen.. But the pic doesnt look right to me..

Not to bad in price either for replacements..

1993-2002 Camaro/Firebird Rear Bump Stops

The thread I was just reading on LS1Tech indicates you dont want to drive long with them bad as its at a location for the unibody to join for 3 different pieces. And causes the frame to collapse.

camaro bump stop video 003.MP4 - YouTube

Dont need ramps, just your cars tire jack, a tire iron, and a 13 or 15 mm ratchet
tollkeeper you are correct the bump stops rubber is gone only the bracket is left.

I thought I broke a spring which I didn't
will relocate toolbox an lugage on trip back repair at home where I have the proper tools like the jack stands that flyboy2610 advices
thanks Tollkeeper an flyboy2610 for advice

Attachments

• bump stop no rubber.jpg
    bump stop no rubber.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 2

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online