Rear Spring Height Measurement

Tankcruiser

Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Toledo
Hello Gmtnation. Ive been noticing rear suspension been hitting those snubbers especially with an trailer amd that only got an tractor on it
Also seems to be too level too.
What can I do to measure for sagging spring and whats the going R and R spring wise?
I can do it all by myself with an helper.... have own tools 🙂
Thanks everybody.

Tankcruiser

Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Toledo
Hello Gmtnation. Ive been noticing rear suspension been hitting those snubbers especially with an trailer amd that only got an tractor on it
Also seems to be too level too.
What can I do to measure for sagging spring and whats the going R and R spring wise?
I can do it all by myself with an helper.... have own tools 🙂
Thanks everybody.
also its Ext 4.2 2005...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Its a really easy process to replace the rear spings. Raise the rear of the truck, put jack stands under the frame in front of the rear tires. Using a jack, put just a bit of pressure on the rear diff pumpkin, and remove the lower shock bolts. Lower rear diff just enough to get the springs out, and put new springs back in. Put back together, and on the ground.

I think the thought process has been to replace the rear springs from a Silverado/Sierra Z71. But I dont know what years.

Reactions: Mooseman

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Somewhere there is a spec for height measurement I read many years ago when I first got my 02. At the time I was towing fairly regularly but I wanted to have some flexibility regarding load vs unloaded. I opted for adding a set of AirLift 1000 airbags that go inside the coil spring. With those I can adjust the amount of air pressure in them to keep the level I need. I did not install a compressor like some folks do, I just adjust with a small air pump that is powered from any auxiliary power port.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Without a trailer or load, the truck normally has a slight forward rake, which I assume the engineers did so that when it is loaded, it would level out to a point. If yours is level loaded and you're hitting the bump stops, I would look at the shocks.

Measure to the tops of the wheel arches. With no load, the rear should be slightly higher. If it has the normal rake and the rear is sagging when loaded, air bags are a solution as well as air shocks. I installed a set of ACDelco air shocks on my Avalanche and and it has helped with the sag when towing our 7000# travel trailer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online