Rear HVAC repair

rkw

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
2003 Envoy XL SLT w/ auto climate control.

Rear blower does not work and clicking noise passenger rear when battery disconnected.

Dis-assembled and ran reset after pulling the 30 amp fuse for 10 seconds, blower works but mode door shaft (#37) is broken. Blower works after reset when I turn rear control to 1 then dies. Attempting to epoxy door shaft for now. The other door (#36) appears to be ok.

Blower control module and two door actuators should arrive from amazon tomorrow. I realize I may eventually have to get the mode door from the dealer as part of an assembly that costs $100.

My questions are as follows...should i even mess with the old actuators or just discard? Is there a possibility that the actuator that was clicking (one on the broken door) has been ruined as it tried to reset a broken part? Maybe the actuator on the good door is OK? Do I need to pull just the 30 amp fuse to reset or both the 30 and the 10? Any advice appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
More than likely, it's toast. Mine hasn't worked at all since I've had this truck for 2 years and don't even miss it. My rear A/C has been disconnected and the heat doesn't work neither. Both my actuators started clicking every time I started the truck, now hardly hear the gears have worn down so much. Was thinking of permanently setting the doors to always blow heat and just not use it in summer but haven't had the chance to mess with it.

BTW, welcome :tiphat:

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
rkw said:
2003 Envoy XL SLT w/ auto climate control.

Rear blower does not work and clicking noise passenger rear when battery disconnected.

Dis-assembled and ran reset after pulling the 30 amp fuse for 10 seconds, blower works but mode door shaft (#37) is broken. Blower works after reset when I turn rear control to 1 then dies. Attempting to epoxy door shaft for now. The other door (#36) appears to be ok.

Blower control module and two door actuators should arrive from amazon tomorrow. I realize I may eventually have to get the mode door from the dealer as part of an assembly that costs $100.

My questions are as follows...should i even mess with the old actuators or just discard? Is there a possibility that the actuator that was clicking (one on the broken door) has been ruined as it tried to reset a broken part? Maybe the actuator on the good door is OK? Do I need to pull just the 30 amp fuse to reset or both the 30 and the 10? Any advice appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Some can be fixed, I did mine, see last post here.
http://gmtnation.com/f93/how-remove-front-dash-vents-actuator-4536/

rkw

Original poster
Apr 11, 2013
Update: replaced the blower module and both actuators. Expoxied the broken door with plastic weld and it seems to be holding for now. If you go the glue route make sure you get epoxy made for plastic repair.

I looked at the old actuators with the cover off and both looked fine, no broken gears etc... This indicates that my clicking sound was coming from the broken door as opposed to the actuators. I was too afraid to reuse them however.

Pulled the HVAC B fuse to reset the system (it was confusing because there are 4 HVAC fuses under the rear seat). Turned the ignition key on and watched as the doors moved. Was surprised when the blower did not come on but I guess that is not part of the reset. Waited a couple of minutes without touching any controls and started the truck and tried out the controls...sure enough the blower was working fine. Air was going where it was supposed to as well.

Total cost around $150. Was it overkill? Probably, but at least now it works. Thanks to all who posted on this topic.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good you got it fixed. Strange that a door operated by a tiny motor would break like that. It's overkill only if you don't see any value in it :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online