Rear glass will not open

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
So yesterday the gremlins were out in my garage, first time something's up with both rides

Now I just need to get the rear glass to open. When I push the cylinder in to open the rear glass, it feels as if it is locked. If I lock the doors and unlock them it will open, only the first time. Once I close it it will not (so not a huge issue, yet) even when still unlocked.

I never slam my glass and always push it til the click. I use it just about daily. Problem is I don't have time until next weekend to tear into it. Any idea what I'm looking at? Replace the lock cylinder? Simple fix or...? I can't search the old site and haven't seen anything here, yet. Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The linkage from the unlock solenoid could need some lubrication. Pull the inside paneling off and spray in the places that seem like they're solenoid or linkage-related. Sorry I don't have pics.

Ahhhh, but I found some in a short search

http://gmtnation.com/f23/liftgate-latch-repair-4483/

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Thanks roadie! I just came across that too. I searched "rear glass" and was caught reading unrelated material when told I better be ready to go soon! Im ready now and just might be able to spray it before she comes out...

Playsinsnow

Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Old thread but the rear glass push button would not open again. Felt like it was locked after cycling the fob locked/unlocked several times. WD40 on the push button freed it up the first time. This time I had to get inside. Without being able to take the trim off because the glass would not open, I simply saw the black rail in picture "wanting" to go up on unlock. Popped it up ~1/4 inch and felt like it did something. Checked rear push button and the glass opened. I'm posting this picture so if anyone can not get their rear glass "unlocked", pop the small cap at the bottom of the panel, stick your finger in and lift up. Assuming linkages are still connected.

Attachments

• 20150115_094819.jpg
    20150115_094819.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Blckshdw and Mounce

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've had that problem a couple times. The first time it was just the pivot at the top that was sticking. Second time it was the actual latch mechanism that was all frozen from rust and corrosion. To really fix it I ended up having to pull the entire latch assembly out of the liftgate, soak the thing in PB blaster to break up the rust, then after spraying it with cleaner to get the residue off I soaked it with lubricant.

FYI - you can get the trim panels off without opening the glass. I never opened the glass to take mine off since I have the liftgate open when removing them.

Reactions: Eric04

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sparky said:
FYI - you can get the trim panels off without opening the glass. I never opened the glass to take mine off since I have the liftgate open when removing them.
I was about to post this too, then I remembered, there's a screw at the top of the main panel, that's accessed from next to the glass' latch. On my truck that screw is missing, so it's not a big deal. Not sure if that's a LWB only thing or not. :undecided:

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
The SWB have it too. IIRC it was just a plastic trim button. Mine never made it back on after the first time I removed the panel.

Reactions: coolasice

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Blckshdw said:
I was about to post this too, then I remembered, there's a screw at the top of the main panel, that's accessed from next to the glass' latch. On my truck that screw is missing, so it's not a big deal. Not sure if that's a LWB only thing or not. :undecided:
Oh. Mine apparently is missing as I've never messed with that lol

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Only had my TB for a couple months and always opened the liftgate when loading the cargo area so I hadn't noticed that my glass wouldn't open until recently. In fact, the button sits flush with the housing so I'm thinking I'll have to go at it like Sparky described above.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online