rear door noise

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
My rear doors have a squeak, growl or some sort of horrrible noise coming from the door hinges. I've tried spraying with wd40 and lithium grease and neither helped. Just wondering if anyone else has gotten rid of the noise and how you did. Right now it sounds like a haunted house front door opening and kind of annoying.

Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If it's truly in the hinge and not sheet metal scraping, just use penetrating oil like PB Blaster and then work the door back and forth 100 times. Lithium grease isn't meant to penetrate - it's better on the latch mechanism where you can see all the parts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Also don't forget the window hinge and latch. Check for possible rubbing of the plastics on the interior sheet metal of the door.

mwking

Dec 7, 2011
When my doors get that groaning noise it is usually not coming from the hinges, but from that metal bar in the middle of the door jam that helps hold the door open. There is a black rubber plug on the door side. If you pull it out and look inside the door there are a couple of rollers, one on each side of the bar. Lube them up well and work the door back and forth to get the lube in there. It may take a while for the oil to get everywhere it needs to be and get the growl out of it completely.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mooseman said:
Also don't forget the window hinge and latch. Check for possible rubbing of the plastics on the interior sheet metal of the door.

D'oh! Read the title "Rear door noise" (singular), thinking the rear hatch so ignore my comment about the window hinges and latch but the plastics rubbing is a possibility for groaning and noise. Good comment on the detent (officially called a door check) that holds the door open and usually makes noise while opening/closing the door. Well worth it to lube.

dingle

Original poster
May 26, 2012
that was the problem. i took the rubber cover off and lubed the hell out of the 2 rollers and the shaft that goes between them and it sounds alot better. growls alittle still but not nearly as bad. so ill keep lubing until it is completely quiet. . one less thing my wife can bitch at me about:smile: i really appreciate all the help. thank you

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
dingle said:
that was the problem. i took the rubber cover off and lubed the hell out of the 2 rollers and the shaft that goes between them and it sounds alot better. growls alittle still but not nearly as bad. so ill keep lubing until it is completely quiet. . one less thing my wife can bitch at me about:smile: i really appreciate all the help. thank you

Perfect! Thanks for posting, I'm going to do mine now. Rear driver door is bad for me but I'll do both anyways.

Guano

Jan 4, 2012
So if I spray some lube in the hole...that will stop the wifes Bitching?
I'm going to need a H*ll of a long straw to get that close.:rolleyes:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Guano said:
So if I spray some lube in the hole...that will stop the wifes Bitching?
I'm going to need a H*ll of a long straw to get that close.:rolleyes:

Generally speaking, just because you put lube in the hole, it doesn't always keep the wife from bitching. Try woo-ing her first :biggrin:

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
I presently need a drivers side door check. Here (Ontario) they are selling the driver's side for $90 and passenger side for $20 bux less. What I notice is it's the exact same part that is flipped around, one side has FR and the other side FL.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online