Rear diff fluid swap / inspection - things to look for

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Forgot that since I had the rear up on stands for brakes, it would be a good time to finally do some preventative maintenance on the rear gears, as I'm going to be doing some major towing the next month or two.

I don't have any known issues, and I already know the level is fine from checking it late last summer, no obvious leaks. So why am I doing this?

Since I don't know the full history of the truck, I'm going to clean the housing & inspect the entire ring / pinion (turning the wheels on the axle) to check for any issues, and put a new gasket in afterward (it's supposed to be reusable, and I know I could put some RTP on the cover...I guess I just like spending $.)
I figure at 145K, it's earned a new gasket of some type.

Question - is there anything I should check besides that (and any foreign particles in the fluid, etc.,) while I have the cover off?
If not, I'll just take a few pics of the job, if anyone wants a writeup. I actually have the drain plug as well as the fill plug; that might be worth a pic, as well as the internals.

While I do like to be thorough (thus, this post), please keep suggestions to visual / touch, if possible (e.g.; no micrometer measurements, that sort of thing...lol). I do want this to be the last maintenance I have to do on the rear, if I'm lucky.

For reference, I've got the 3.73 (GT4) with the G80 Eaton locker. Fluid going in is M1 75-90; pretty much what everyone else uses, and I have it on hand.
Factory fill is considered 'lifetime', so no need to look for better than M1, IMO.
BTW, my transfer case fluid was changed out < 10K miles ago, so we can keep this thread to the rear diff exclusively.

As always...thx in advance for any quick advice. Now to get back under the truck! :wooot:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Pretty straightforward. Check for metal in the oil and magnet, check for obvious damage on the gears, clean everything, close 'er up and fill. You can use a rag or something to soak up the oil at the bottom of the case.

And this important piece of advise: Open the fill plug before draining the oil.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
And this important piece of advise: Open the fill plug before draining the oil.

Did that last year, when I checked the level - I know it will open w/o issue (but I'll still open that one first, as it's good practice to do so.)
Thank you, sir! :tiphat:

PS: as it turns out, the correct Fel-Pro for my diff (it has the 8.625" gear) is listed as a 'paper' filter. If true, I'm likely going to reuse the existing rubber one, rather than use that, RTP, or a combo of both.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Unlike you I did observe my diff fluid a little low probably about 2 1/2 yrs ago. I just topped it off at that point. Then while doing a rotor & brake job I saw what was going on. Both outer seals leaked not like the fluid was pouring out but I knew if I'd let it go like this it would only get worse and if I ever needed to pull the E-brake wasnt stopping till after the damage was done.

So on that note I went ahead changed the bearing, seals and flushed out any and everything in there. I honestly didn't bother with a seal on the rear cover I just cleaned everything up as best I could and slapped some blue rtv on it. All is good now.20170421_115254.jpg20170421_161606.jpg20170421_113106.jpg

Last edited:

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Good stuff / pics. Thanks! My hub / brake areas were pretty dry, it turns out.

The pass. side e-brake shoe was disconnected, and didn't even have a remnant / indication of a pad on it - wonder just how long it had been rolling around in the hat like that, and if the new one will now stay in place (that side definitely had a different 'fit' w/ the new hardware, than the driver's side, which just 'fell' into place, pretty as you please. We'll see.)

You and Moose have indirectly convinced me to change my strategy - since all has been working well, and no leaks, I'm going to just do a straight drain / fill on the diff, using the plugs - especially if the level is the same as last summer's check.

Doesn't make sense to chance introduction of a leak when I'm going to be far away from home (I am taking some tools, of course, both for the trailer and the Envoy. Just have to resist the temptation to take an entire cart full, the air compressor, etc...LOL )

I'll keep an eye on it while traveling, juuuust in case the new M1 starts leaking from the seal (similar to how their motor oil can do with old engine seals, etc.) For a change, I'll be an optimist, at least with this. :rotfl:

Back out there after Sunday eggs & bacon...mmm...bacon... :salivate:

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, after taking care of this, some info for those who follow...

You'll need:
A 3/8" ratchet (no sockets)
Short 3/8" extension
3 quarts of synthetic 75W-90 oil (for most of us, this is Mobil 1 or Royal Purple)
A drain pan that can hold at least 3 qts of old fluid (and something to drain the old fluid into, for disposal / recycling)
A long neck funnel or suction gun (to refill with).
A couple of jack stands or ramps. Unless you're very thin and can fit under the truck & work with the wheels on the ground.
If you replace the gasket, a new one (or gray RTV, which is the one made for differential covers). See notes below for identifying your gasket / housing.
A torque wrench (3/8" is probably best - something that can measure 24 and 35 ft/lb)

Starting Out:

- It's probably a good idea to check the level before you begin, to get a baseline for where you're at, pre-change. If you do this right after driving the truck, GM advises to wait 5 minutes, so that the fluid has time to drain out of the axle housings, and back into the 'sump' (the diff housing.)

- While the recessed area of the fill & drain plugs is a bit shallow for a 3/8" extension, a ratchet alone fits very well in those spots - and there's enough room to *use* the ratchet alone (and probably a breaker or hammer, if it's been years since the plugs have been removed). The fill plug - which you should loosen *first* - will probably look rusted through, but it's just the outer surface.

- You'll have more room to work with the drain plug if you lower the spare tire (and it would be a good time to lube the cable after this job, if needed).

- Once you break the torque on the drain plug, and can turn the plug freely, swap the ratchet for a short extension. Keep inward pressure on the plug until you feel it wobble (similar to the engine oil drain plug, if you change your own oil.) You can then remove it from the housing and have a nice clean drain. Mine smelled like propane. Or maybe I farted...I can't remember. :whistle:

(note: You may not have a drain plug; if you do, it will be forward of the cover, on the bottom of the carrier housing. If you don't, then you'll have to loosen the cover bolts. Yes, it's messier, but since you're taking it off, it's a good opportunity to examine the ring and pinion gear.)

- While the axle is draining, clean the drain plug. If the fluid that's draining is the factory fill, don't be surprised to find 1/8" to 1/4" of 'sludge' on the end of the plug (which is really metal filings from the axle.) As long as that material is 'soft', all is well. You don't need to worry about immediately replacing the plug, as there's no 'prime' to lose in the axle, like there is in an engine. So go have a beer and let the axle drain a bit! :Lager Louts:

When you get back, the drain plug is torqued to 35 ft/lb - for ALL years / axles (I checked every years' service manual for you - you're welcome :smile:

(those of you with no drain plug:
Torque the 8.0" cover bolts to 20 ft/lbs,
and the 8.6" cover bolts to 18 ft/lbs,

in alternating sequence - and I'd do it in two passes, myself, although the manual does not specify it)

The OEM rubber gasket is considered reusable, but if you decide to replace yours...
The best way I've found to tell whether you have the 8.0" or 8.6" axle - BOTH have 10 bolts, but the gaskets are NOT the same...

- The 8.6" axle cover will look like a slightly flattened circle, is more round / smooth across the entire cover, and when you get the cover off, you'll see two extra 'holes' in the carrier housing at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock (I have this one; my avatar indicates why).​
- The 8.0" axle cover has 'pointed' ends at 12 / 6 o'clock, squared off ends parallel with the axle tubes at 3 and 9 o'clock, and a bulge in the cover running top to bottom (it's covering the ring gear, which sticks out of the carrier housing)​
Xavierny25's post above shows the 8.0" axle carrier in the third picture.​
(I think (?) most of the 4.2L with 3.42 gears got the 8.0" axle - both short and long wheelbase, and 2WD / 4WD.​
- Don't ask me what axle size the AWD trucks got - I have no idea. Sorry!​

If you want to be *absolutely* sure of your axle size, and you don't find the above info helpful - you will need to remove the cover and measure the ring gear from end / end (outer diameter), which can be difficult with the gear in the housing.

(Now you know why I went through the differences in the covers, since both axles have the same # of bolts (10, remember?) I couldn't find this info anywhere on the web.)

- The service manual specifies 75w-90 *synthetic* lube (same as the front, for 4WD), and *NO* limited slip additive to be used for the 8.0" and 8.6" axle.

(In the *very* rare event you have a 9.5" axle (it's the ONLY one with 14 cover bolts), then additive is called for (IF you don't use synthetic gear oil, I'd imagine). Also, the fill plug on the 9.5" axle is in the middle of the stock diff cover, so you'll probably need less oil than the rest of us.
From the looks of it, the TBSS got the 9.5" axle, and we know all of those had 4.10s, as well).

If you have a 4.2L that was ordered with a 4.10 gear, you may have this oddball axle as well.
The 4.10 was not available for any of the 5.3L trucks (RPOs: LM4, LH6)

For the rest of us - 8.0" and 8.6" axles:
- You'll need (3) one quart bottles (and you'll have a little left over from the last one).​
- M1 and Royal Purple will specify that they're compatible with LSDs - it's OK to use them as-is. You won't harm the diff as long as you don't add anything else to the fluid.​

Filling the Axle

The 'final' level check should be done with the truck level (e.g.; as it would sit on the wheels - you don't need to use a bubble level, raise the front end, etc.)

There are two methods you can use to fill. The first is a long neck or flexible neck funnel. Expect to spill some fluid, no matter how careful you are - because the fill plug is at the top of the housing, and you're basically pouring horizontally. You can also try filling straight from the bottle, if it has an angled tip - but I still think you'll spill fluid (unless you attach some flexible tubing to the tip, perhaps.)

However - If you've seen May03LT's YouTube videos on the subject, you'll see he uses something better - a suction gun. If you can get one of these, it is a lot easier (and a LOT less messy) to get the oil into the diff. They run about $10-12 USD at the parts stores, and HF has them too. You can use them for the transfer case and front diff, too, so it's not a 1-use tool.

I found that smaller zip ties can be very useful for checking the level - bend it at a 90" angle, into an 'L' shape (the lock end s/b the 'short' end). Feed the longer end into the fill hole, and rest the short end on the bottom of the fill hole. Remove the zip tie and check the distance from where the fluid ends to the bend.

As far as 'what's full' - GM's spec says anywhere from just dripping out of the hole to 10mm (0.4 in) below the hole - is good. That's because when the axles are filled at the factory, they're filled by volume, not to a 'line'. So if you're within those tolerances, you're fine. Me, I fill till the fluid starts dripping out, given GM's wording.

Clean the fill plug (some anti-seize wouldn't be a bad idea), and torque to 24 ft/lb (yes, it's different than the drain plug, and again, it's the same spec for all MY / axles).

If you have no leaks - you are done. Time for another beer. And unless you're off-roading, racing, or doing a *lot* of towing, you should be good for the next 80K-100K miles. I know mine had to have the factory fill in it - and I have almost 150K on mine. I expect to get at least that much service out of the new fluid.

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
My 3.42 G80 is an 8.0".

SWB I6: 8"
LWB I6: 8.6"
SWB+LWB 5.3: 8.6

SWB LS2: 12 bolt 9.5"

Reactions: Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Unless you do a swap like I did, then you're a fancy pants guy with a 8.6" in a SWB 4.2L.

... at least that's what I'd like to think :laugh:

Reactions: Matt

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. After reviewing your / my posts, I realized I swapped the 8.0 and 8.6 info - it's backwards. I have the 8.6, and I meant to say that most of the 4.2L got the 8.0. Figures.

I'll correct this later tonight, when I make a couple of other revisions. Sorry :Banghead::duh: :dunce:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the limited slip diffs, those were in AWD trucks (Bravada, Rainier, 9-7x) and require the LS additive.

Drain plugs were in '02 and some '03. GM got rid of them to save $1.75. I still think it's a good idea to open the cover to clean the magnet and look things over.

Good writeup! Added it to the FAQ's.

• Haha
Reactions: 808

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Hmmmm..... the g80 a locker and regular synthetic oil should be good enough. The g86 is an LSD that needs the additive, although I've seen synthetic gear oils that have "additive not required" printed on the back.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online