Rear Bumper Guard

Grimor

Original poster
Member
Mar 28, 2013
954
So, I saw the rear bumper guards that are available for the trailblazer.
View attachment 27149
and I'm really not a fan. I love the way the Westin Trailblazer looks (but it's for a Jeep)
View attachment 27150
View attachment 27151
These are made to mount to the frame, but I was wanting to put some 2" square tube on it and just slide it in the hitch receiver.
Has anyone done this before? Should be easy to keep it low enough so it's flush with the rear bumper.
Build from scratch, or modify the westin?
 

Attachments

  • chevy-trailblazer-2006-RBG.jpg
    chevy-trailblazer-2006-RBG.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 42-3015-01.jpg
    42-3015-01.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 17
  • prod-image.php.jpg
    prod-image.php.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 146

Voymom

Member
Feb 3, 2012
2,523
Honestly if I could get the TB one(1st pic) to fit the Envoy, but in black...I would be jumping all over it!!!
 

TexazReece

Member
Dec 4, 2011
1,341
I agree with Voymom I'd go with the first choice in black. I wanted something to protect my rear bumper and just purchased a hitch step/bumper.
 

BoldAdventure

Member
Jun 28, 2012
1,634
:popcorn: right totally going to work, considering the Westin was designed to replace the bumper on the jeep and you want to stick it over your bumper. I don't think you are accounting for how wide it actually is. And how short it is at that compared to our re-ends. Best bet is to just get a tube bumper made if thats what you want.

The guard is really kind of pointless IMO anyways.
 

Grimor

Original poster
Member
Mar 28, 2013
954
mikekey said:
:popcorn: right totally going to work, considering the Westin was designed to replace the bumper on the jeep and you want to stick it over your bumper. I don't think you are accounting for how wide it actually is. And how short it is at that compared to our re-ends. Best bet is to just get a tube bumper made if thats what you want.

The guard is really kind of pointless IMO anyways.
Actually i wanted to put it behind the truck (in the hitch so it could be removed),where the dip in the middle is level with the lower part of the bumper. More like a step then a bumper replacement or wrap around. Says it fits the JK wrangler (~74" width) about the same width as the Trailblazer.
Just something that will bang into whatever is behind me before the truck hits it.
Kinda like this horrible horrible photoshop
View attachment 27225
 

Attachments

  • horribleps.jpg
    horribleps.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 24

mcsteven

Member
Apr 18, 2012
6,584
I've been thinking about creating my own. Just 2 or 3 rows of round tubing, a couple pieces tying them together, and then a 2" square to mount it using the receiver. Gun metal or semi gloss black and it saves me the crap of all these people that can't parallel park.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
I ran the first one for years in black. I am just about certain an Envoy could use the 06 and newer style since it is a full loop and does not cut in for the step. Simple to bolt to frame and works well. Lots of people liked it on mine. I believe Hotness is still running it on his truck now. I paid about 200 and it would probably not be all that much less to build something. If you just want protection/step, I have 2 inch square stock welded up in T on my Suburban. You can also get something like this...

30" Hitch Step with Pin

Cheap and functional. I think Matt runs one and it looks good.
 

Grimor

Original poster
Member
Mar 28, 2013
954
mcsteven said:
I've been thinking about creating my own. Just 2 or 3 rows of round tubing, a couple pieces tying them together, and then a 2" square to mount it using the receiver. Gun metal or semi gloss black and it saves me the crap of all these people that can't parallel park.
more or less what I had in mind. If you make 1, make 2 and I'll take one lol
 

mcsteven

Member
Apr 18, 2012
6,584
HARDTRAILZ said:
I ran the first one for years in black. I am just about certain an Envoy could use the 06 and newer style since it is a full loop and does not cut in for the step. Simple to bolt to frame and works well. Lots of people liked it on mine. I believe Hotness is still running it on his truck now. I paid about 200 and it would probably not be all that much less to build something. If you just want protection/step, I have 2 inch square stock welded up in T on my Suburban. You can also get something like this...

30" Hitch Step with Pin

Cheap and functional. I think Matt runs one and it looks good.

I like the step, but I'm hoping to protect almost to the edges of the bumper. They bump it when they're at angles because they don't know how to park. Either that or figure out some auto-deployment device for orange cones.

It would be about the same price as that Steelcraft one, but I have some left over materials available to me. And a friend who's a welder by trade. And ... well, you get the point. I'm only on the fence because I like a lower profile look of the car. Keeps it off everyone's radar so to speak.
 

mcsteven

Member
Apr 18, 2012
6,584
Yacdogg said:

Not $136. Doesn't show for the Envoy, but it does for the TB. For that application, $160 + another $30 shipping. I was going to say for $136 I'd take it - maybe find it on Amazon and get my free shipping (Prime). But for $190 I'll make it myself if I decide to go with it.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Tb and envoy are same. Mounts to frame. Just need full loop one not the one that cuts in like early tb bumpers.
 

Yacdogg

Member
Apr 27, 2012
92
mcsteven said:
Not $136. Doesn't show for the Envoy, but it does for the TB. For that application, $160 + another $30 shipping. I was going to say for $136 I'd take it - maybe find it on Amazon and get my free shipping (Prime). But for $190 I'll make it myself if I decide to go with it.

Opps, forgot to put model info in, black one is $160
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,330
Posts
637,983
Members
18,531
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online