Rear Air Suspension and Compressor Replacement

cmatt

Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
My wife's 03 Envoy XL fell victim to the air suspension giving out. The dealer wanted over $1500, but I did it myself for $640.

I ordered the air bags and compressor from Arnott. The sales guy gave me the ebay price and free shipping when I mentioned it.

Here's some old vs. new comparison pics:
EnvoySuspension016.jpg

You can see the difference in the air line fittings on the top of the airbags.
EnvoySuspension017.jpg

In this pic, I opened up the check valve from the old compressor. There was a small piece of metal that fell out. Not sure what it goes to, but I am sure it was important.
EnvoySuspension014.jpg

EnvoySuspension013.jpg

It looks like Continental makes the bags for Arnott.
EnvoySuspension018.jpg

EnvoySuspension024.jpg

Also picked up a new OEM compressor from Arnott.
EnvoySuspension022.jpg

EnvoySuspension023.jpg

I began by replacing the compressor first. Be sure to remove the 30 Amp fuse for the ECAS in the engine bay fuse box. Next, remove the spare. Once you've got the rear off the ground and supported at the frame, you can begin disconnecting the compressor.

Start with the pneumatic/electronic connections. For the XL's it's located on the outside of the frame on the driver's side. The air lines have a friction type fitting. Just push down on the collar and pull on the air line.
EnvoySuspension032.jpg

Next, just unbolt the compressor and reverse the steps for installation.
EnvoySuspension031.jpg

The removal of the airbags wasn't too tough. A good, firm counterclockwise turn (looking from below) will dislodge the unit. It's the same friction type fitting for the air line.

If you look closely, you can see the color of the air lines.
Black for driver's side.
EnvoySuspension026.jpg

Clear for passenger side.
EnvoySuspension027.jpg

The real challenge for me came when I installed the Arnott airbags. If you recall, the air line fitting is different from OEM. It is a compression type. There is a nut and a collar that provides the compression. To give me some slack in the air line, I disconnected some of the wire loom clamps. Once that's done, you have to slide the nut on the air line and then place the clamp 3mm from the end. Be very careful with the small clamp when expanding it. Don't ask me how I know. Let's just say I am thankful the old compressor used the same fittings.
EnvoySuspension030.jpg

Once you've got the fittings on the line, install it on the bag and insert the bag into the frame and turn clockwise to lock it in place. I had to play with it, but it did snug up. Now that you've got everything reconnected, replace the ECAS fuse up front.

I used my floor jack to raise the axle to fool the sensors and cause the pump to activate. I guided the bags onto the axle perches and it lifted the frame off of the jack stands.

Now, I did experience two loud pops/bangs while the bags were airing up. I thought they had burst, but I think it was them seating themselves fully.

That's it. You should be in business!

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Please provide the following information:

Summary:

Vehicle:
Difficulty:
Estimated Time:
Part Numbers:
Cost:

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
cmatt said:
My wife's 03 Envoy XL fell victim to the air suspension giving out. The dealer wanted over $1500, but I did it myself for $640.

I ordered the air bags and compressor from Arnott. The sales guy gave me the ebay price and free shipping when I mentioned it.

Here's some old vs. new comparison pics:
EnvoySuspension016.jpg

:thumbsup: These are Generation-II Rear Air Bags. I've got the same on my Voy. I got my local garage [$50.00 & coffee] to replace my system. I believe the compressor is on the outside rail on the passenger side on the SWB.

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
EnvoySuspension031.jpg

Damn I envy the guys living down south of the border.....

That's clean enough to eat off...
I can only dream of a frame rail like that. Paint has been scratched off the frame and it still shows bare metal!

My wife's 04 is going in for skin cancer surgery on the tailgate next week. $1300... Welcome to life North of the Border...

TVR

Mar 17, 2012
I did the same after finding this information. I found the only tough part to be getting the old air tube out, given the lack of room to work with. On recommendation I do have, for anyone else doing the work, is to practice the VOSS fitting removal on the pump disconnect. There's more room there to figure out how you'll need to hold the ring down. The driver side bag isn't that bad, but you end up working blind on the passenger side due the the exhaust. It took me about 2.5-3hrs for both sides and compressor, but I wasn't working very fast.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.