NEED HELP Rear Air Flow Actuator Question

mrwitty_1

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
My 03 Envoy XL rear air flow actuator decided to start failing. I picked up a new Delco 1572811 actuator and started the install, not as bad as I was thinking it would be. I removed the old actuator and went to install the new actuator and the alignment is off to much to get it indexed on the shaft. How does one move the gear in the actuator to align ? The shaft does not move very much from floor to vents but there is no binding and it functions properly when the truck is running and moved manually. I was thinking there must be a way to apply power to the proper pins to move the gear to align. Looking for advise.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Door should move far enough to index. If not I'd guess you got the wrong actuator. Not possible to move the actuator without breaking the plastic gears.

Even if you plug it in and get it move to an acceptable position it'll still move past that and break itself or the door...

Reactions: Reprise

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
According to the long standing graphic Roadie used to post, he's got the right actuator if the part IN the box matches the part number ON the box. I haven't had to do this fix (yet) so I can't be of too much assistance on this one.

rearactuators-orig_zps3f87adac.JPG

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Door should move far enough to index. If not I'd guess you got the wrong actuator. Not possible to move the actuator without breaking the plastic gears.

Even if you plug it in and get it move to an acceptable position it'll still move past that and break itself or the door...

You can set the actuator to a position close to the original. Just remove the top cover and lift the gear that sits on top of the final drive gear just enough to disengage from the tiny motor driven gear. Look at the old actuator and rotate gear you lifted to move the final drive gear into the right position. Be careful not to move the top notch in the final drive gear shaft significantly past the index marks on the cover - Don't try to spin the gear more than 90 degrees around. You should still do a recalibration after installing a new actuator so the computer can find the exact limits.

The actuator is designed to take a fully stalled condition - that's how the HVAC controller finds the limits. The gear only breaks when the plastic is old and gets brittle. Even then, most broken gears are repairable - I'm using 3 actuators repaired 2 years ago that are still working fine.

Reactions: Blckshdw

mrwitty_1

Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Thanks Everyone for the suggestions. I got it repaired. You can apply power to the actuator drive motor pins and rotate it to proper alignment. I used a 9 volt battery as the power source. After installed went thru the re-calibration and has been preforming great !

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online