Random voltage drop

Southernboy08

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Ok so I have random voltage drop when my i6 trailblazer is not warmed up. When you ease off the throttle te voltage drops from 14 to 12 and back. The interior lights and headlights dim also. Sometimes it's only once. Sometimes it's multiply times back to back. I've checked my big 3 and I've swapped alternators. Still have same problem. Any help?

Vicompc

Dec 5, 2011
I had a simalar issue with mine and it turned out it was the voltage regulator in the altenator was failing. The 1st replacement altenator had the same issue, I then replaced it with a Delco unit and it solved the problem.

Southernboy08

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Yeah I was thinking it was the voltage regulator. Im hoping it's not. But if I get a new alt I'm going with a high amp one because ill be redoing my system starting on christmas break. Oh well, I've had a few problems with this suv

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I just went through the exact same issue. I wiggled the 2 wire signal lead entering the alternator and all is good for now.

Southernboy08

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Ill try that tomorrow after work. Maybe that's it. If not it'll be a new alternator I guess

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
You may need to pull the harness and clean the terminals...could have picked up some corrosion. Sometimes just removing and reinstalling a few times will provide a clean contact but if possible try to clean the terminals.

Southernboy08

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
I'm not worried about it got a spare alt on it and it's fixed. But I'm gonna get a ho alt from power bastards hopefully round Christmas time for my new audio build So no worries:wootwoot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online