RainX wipers are ugly!!

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Just put on a set of RainX Latitude wipers & they look like they are missing a cover piece. They are the "beam" type & look sleek & all, but the point where they connect looks very unfinished. They need a shroud of some type to give them a finished look. These would definitely not work with any truck that is customized & trying to address all design details. They look so "raw" that I dug through the garbage for the extra adapter parts to make sure I didn't throw away a cover piece. I hadn't!

Cheers,
kev

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I was actually thinking this exact same thing yesterday--so much ugly bulk. I may take a dremel to em and see if I can't clean em up.

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
AtlWrk said:
I was actually thinking this exact same thing yesterday--so much ugly bulk. I may take a dremel to em and see if I can't clean em up.

I thought about that too. I decided to return them, 'cause I didn't want to weaken the assembly. If I wasn't able to return them, I would have taken to cutting them down. I had come from some very low profile ones, so these stuck out like a sore thumb. It also irritated me that they thought that they were OK. I got a set of Trico Flex that I like much better. I actually called RainX to ask if they had forgotten to include a snap on cover for them. When I had them on the car, they were a magnet for my eyes & I knew they would bother me for a few days or at least until I just forgot about them & got on with it. :wink:

Cheers,
kev

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I agree, but the worked really well and function > form IMO.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
as long as they wipe of the water, I don't much care.
Honestly I use the RainX Washer fluid and cheapo wipers. I rarely have to use my wipers with the RainX washer fluid.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I dont use anything rainx. None of their products seemed worth the upcharge. Cheapo wipers and basic fluid work fine if you keep things clean.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I use rainx wipers and they are good! They function well and will last you depending how much you use them and the weather too

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I use the standard cheap wiper blades during the summer, but the joints always freeze up and don't wipe well because of it. Only reason I use RainX blades is they don't have the same issue. I tried a few other brands of beam blades but I had issues with the others not lasting as long and they weren't really any cheaper long-term.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Costs me about $8 or $9 a year for two sets of wipers... Cant beat that.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Costs me about $8 or $9 a year for two sets of wipers... Cant beat that.

We get a buy one get one with the rainx every so often so it comes out to a good deal.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
We get a buy one get one with the rainx every so often so it comes out to a good deal.

So $12(best price i saw in a quick search) for a pair vs $9 for two pairs. I will stick with the cheap-o's. Esp since i could not see a real difference in the cleaning.

I do wonder if it makes a difference that at every fill-up I give the windshield a good scrubbing with the thing at the pump. My wipers generally only have to wipe rain not dirt. If they do wipe dirt is is mud offroad and all wipers preform poorly with a couple lbs of mud on the glass.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
So $12(best price i saw in a quick search) for a pair vs $9 for two pairs. I will stick with the cheap-o's. Esp since i could not see a real difference in the cleaning.

I do wonder if it makes a difference that at every fill-up I give the windshield a good scrubbing with the thing at the pump. My wipers generally only have to wipe rain not dirt. If they do wipe dirt is is mud offroad and all wipers preform poorly with a couple lbs of mud on the glass.

Honestly I don't know how much they do cost right now, but last time I looked not online I saw them for $9-$10 at meijers. My dad buys them when there is a sale and keeps them at the house for whenever we need them. My set of wipers last me a good 1-2 years so it really doesn't matter in the end. Its just a few bucks more

I think cleaning the windows at the pump does help and make a difference because you get the dirt off the windows, I dont do that and when they get enough dirt on the windows I see a difference in performance until I clean the wipers. Maybe Ill start doing that and see how much of a difference it makes in the end and if they last longer also

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
fill-up I give the windshield a good scrubbing with the thing at the pump.

I do this often as well as use the little scrubber on the wiper blades themselves to clean the crud off of them.
With the RainX fluid though, after you use it a few times you don't even need wipers for light rain, it just runs right off the windshield.
In the winter I also use the kind with de-icer but it leaves a film on the door windows from blow by.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
navigator said:
I do this often as well as use the little scrubber on the wiper blades themselves to clean the crud off of them.
With the RainX fluid though, after you use it a few times you don't even need wipers for light rain, it just runs right off the windshield.
In the winter I also use the kind with de-icer but it leaves a film on the door windows from blow by.

there is special wax for windows that last quite sometime and will keep the dirt off, its pink wax I think my cuz has it and said it makes a difference

[EBAY]120853806562[/EBAY]
[EBAY]370655887240[/EBAY]
[EBAY]310337878457[/EBAY]

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I like bosch. But got rid of them on my envoy when I traded it in. So I went with the new trico blades. Not as expensive but wipe pretty good. So yea wiper blades are just wiper blades. But I like the nicer look of bosch or trico's. I guess I am just dumb. Lol.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
HARDTRAILZ said:
I dont use anything rainx. None of their products seemed worth the upcharge. Cheapo wipers and basic fluid work fine if you keep things clean.

I agree,I swore off of the rainx fluid.After continued use it creates a build-up that makes night time driving pretty blurry almost like oil on there,anybody else notice that?..Mike

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I do like the beam style wipers on the TB, and I do think they performed consistently for a longer period of time than standard wipers. Ours is parked outside year round (makes a difference versus garaged vehicles) and our beam wipers lasted just shy of 3 years and still wiped good when the beam broke. On my Taurus I use el cheapo blades because I drive all dirt roads all the time. The constant dust and grit wear out the wipers ever 2 or 3 months.

As for fluid, I used the RainX stuff when it first came out. It was bright pink and stained the hell out of my car. Took my days of scrubbing and polishing come spring to get it out, to the point I ended up getting RainX to detail my car to get it off. I use the basic blue stuff now.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I have the Rainx fluid now, and I can't stand it! It has a wicked chemical smell to it that reaches the cabin when we use the washer. I had the Rainx on the Rendezvous and thought they were pretty ugly too but they did their job for the most part. I have Bosch on the voy now, an I really like them, can't remember which bosch I have, but it's not their top of the line...I think they were the 2nd most expensive?

I will probably continue using Bosch both for the looks and the functionality/performance. Mine were about $7-8 a blade...

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

I use average wipers and average fluid on my truck also. I clean the windows each fillup and suits me fine. If the OP lived closer to me, I would of bought his wipers he could not return. I'm about due. Alas, I was pricing wipers just last week. I have an Autozone giftcard that is about to expire.

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
I have been using the RainX washer fluid. I agree that it does smell funny... I haven't noticed a film on the windshield. I do know it hardly costs more than standard fluid and it definitely works and doesn't streak like a standard RainX application. My wiper blades usually last 2 years or so, I've had just about every brand and can't see much difference.

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
i wish i had your prices i cant get a sing wiper blade for less the $14 here in BC. but i use armor-all wipers and there fluid to i like them because the blades have a coating that gets put on the windshield every time you use them and it makes the water beed and rool right off so even if it is pooring out i barely have to use the blades and there absolutely awesome in the winter. Here is the web site so you can look at the types Welcome to the Armor All Wiper Blade website! i get the EDGE but its only in canada so if you are in the US you would have to get the ultra flex just as good.
View attachment 23051

Attachments

• edge-in-pkg.jpg
    edge-in-pkg.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 12

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
I just picked up 2 sets of wipers at Costco for $8 a pair. They're buy one get free right now. I think they were Goodyear brand. Not sure if they're any good, but the price is right and they look like decent wipers.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Hypnotoad said:
I just picked up 2 sets of wipers at Costco for $8 a pair. They're buy one get free right now. I think they were Goodyear brand. Not sure if they're any good, but the price is right and they look like decent wipers.

My parents just bought a few pairs of those for the yukon...good price gotta love Costco :yes:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I just put a pair of those good year wipers on

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I've been buying my wipers at Costco for a couple years, Michelin brand. Great quality for the price. I also use rainX on the windows and rainX washer fluid. I'm neurotic about a clean window shield. This combo works for me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online