Rack and Pinion Recommendations?

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Hey Everyone,

I am looking for some advice on a Rack and Pinion. Mine is original to my '08 and the leak which start about 10 months ago is getting bad. I've got a couple patch jobs in my lines as well, it needs an overhaul. I've got a couple reasonable options for pricing here in Canada. I can order from RA or Detroit Axle and ship to the border for pickup. Is there a preferred brand? I've read decent reports from Detroit Axle and the pricing seems good ($USD). Seems to be enough previous threads on here that make this job seem very doable on my garage floor.

DA: https://www.detroitaxle.com/parts/2008-chevrolet-trailblazer/rack-and-pinion/?submodel_name=LT

RA:
1717151569035.png

I must say, after 16 years of ownership, I think my TB has been one of my best vehicles. Although you can see the power steering fluid all over the road, it has never left me stranded. On a side note, I did pick up a new Dorman Exhaust Manifold last night for $82 USD on a wholesaler closeout at RA.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Attachments

• 1717151266721.png
    1717151266721.png
    189.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Jul 24, 2012
I got whatever rack was cheapest at Napa. That was like 9 years ago. It is now leaking again. Detroit Axle as a brand has been recommended to me before. I think I have one of their CV axles.

The rack replacement is a PITA for sure.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Stay away from Cardone. The rebuilts will be a PITA as you have to return the core. I can't comment on any of the others.

I had bought a "rebuilt" locally and it turned out to just be a used one that was just repainted. The dirt was still on it and had tool marks on the inner tie rods. I returned it and wound up finding a good used one at Kenny. It was actually a recently installed new unit so I got lucky. Yeah it was a PITA to take out but I've done so many of these I can now do it blindfolded.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online