Question on leveling front suspension

Zx2ner88

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. Basically I want to level out the front suspension on my 02 4x4. I'm not looking to do a full lift, just bring the front up a bit. Is there a way to do this other than buying a full kit and only using the outside strut spacers?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Zx2ner88 said:
I'll try to keep this as simple as possible. Basically I want to level out the front suspension on my 02 4x4. I'm not looking to do a full lift, just bring the front up a bit. Is there a way to do this other than buying a full kit and only using the outside strut spacers?

There are kits that will allow you to only get the front spacers. Which kits are you looking at? If you only use the outside spacers you won't get much lift at all up front.

Zx2ner88

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I was looking at the liftmeister kits but the only ones I could find are lift and level. I'll get measurements as soon as I can but I only need it to come up a little

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
SuspensionMAXX will sell you one of three choices of heights if Mark doesn't have the exact lift amount you need.

You should be prepared with a measurement of the heights of the wheelwell sheet metal openings from a flat parking lot or garage surface, so you know what you need to buy. Every vehicle is slightly different due to option weights and spring stiffnesses (GM used as many as 12 different ones on the assembly line) plus how much they've sagged over the years. Neither Mark nor SuspensionMAXX know exactly what each vehicle needs.

Zx2ner88

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I sent mark an email but unfortunately the smallest he offers is 2.5" which is way to much for what I need. Looks like I'll be going with a full lift after all.

Yomamma0103

Aug 30, 2013
Check out the classifieds here...I have a Smaxx 1.75" level kit. New never been installed. $50 shipped tyd USA

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Zx2ner88 said:
I sent mark an email but unfortunately the smallest he offers is 2.5" which is way to much for what I need. Looks like I'll be going with a full lift after all.

How much lift are you looking for?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
the roadie said:
I asked in post #5. :confused:

Yeah, I know... I thought maybe I would re ask without anything else as a distraction.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Belltech has a setup to level without lifting. Adjustables. Drop the rear so it's level with the front and eliminates the rake stance.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Zx2ner88 said:
Honestly as little as possible as I am only 5'5"

I think they wanted to know how much you needed to raise the front to level out the truck.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Mark may also sell just his 1/2" outside the strut shims that will give 3/4" of lift. Most folks wouldn't even notice 3/4".

You could also add 2-300 pounds of bricks to the cargo compartment if looks are more important than performance. Or if you need an on-board supply of bricks for some vandalism-related reason. :rotfl:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Yes. A full-up 3" lift can cost people 2-4 MPG when combined with larger tires, especially mud/terrains. That's why we especially snicker at folks who come in and look for cheap lifts meant for appearance only. (LMFAO is my acronym for those). They have no idea what they'll be spending for fuel to look "cool" and "aggressive".

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Yes. A full-up 3" lift can cost people 2-4 MPG when combined with larger tires, especially mud/terrains. That's why we especially snicker at folks who come in and look for cheap lifts meant for appearance only. (LMFAO is my acronym for those). They have no idea what they'll be spending for fuel to look "cool" and "aggressive".

You gotta to pay to play!

Zx2ner88

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Finally got around to measuring and looks like I need the front to come up 1 inch to be level

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I just installed the 1/2 inch spacers. The lift is not very noticeable but it did reduce the forward rake. I would say I need another 1/4 to 1/2 inch to completely level it out. My recommendation for you is to figure out from the chart on the os which factory spring would give a 1 inch lift and go that route. However, for a mere $45 investment I'm happy with the results I got.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Pittdawg said:
I just installed the 1/2 inch spacers. The lift is not very noticeable but it did reduce the forward rake. I would say I need another 1/4 to 1/2 inch to completely level it out. My recommendation for you is to figure out from the chart on the os which factory spring would give a 1 inch lift and go that route. However, for a mere $45 investment I'm happy with the results I got.

I've got a slight forward rake on my Envoy - I don't wanna have the front up too high, but right now it's too low for my taste. These 1/2 inch spacers sound like the way I want to go, plus I could do it without breaking the bank. Can you give me a link or a place to look for the spacers that you have? Thanks. :thumbsup:

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
I was also 1" low front, and the spacer kit lifted my 2" front ad 1"rear . I tell you I was glad I went with at the 2", as it also allows me the easily get underneath now to do the diff's and transfer chase fluid changes without jacks and jack stands. But now wish I had the 2 1/2, everyone told me I would have height remorse, and I didn't believe them.

Now I kick myself for not going the little extra.

I don't wheel, but the height added feels natural on this truck, should have been this way from the factory.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Envoy_04 said:
I've got a slight forward rake on my Envoy - I don't wanna have the front up too high, but right now it's too low for my taste. These 1/2 inch spacers sound like the way I want to go, plus I could do it without breaking the bank. Can you give me a link or a place to look for the spacers that you have? Thanks. :thumbsup:

Got with Mark via email and he does indeed sell the 1/2 inch spacer kit $45 shipped.

Pittdawg, or anyone else who has put these on, can you tell me how hard they are to install (is a spring compressor needed, etc. ?) A front end alignment is also required after install I believe. If anyone with info can give me a couple pointers I'd really appreciate it.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Envoy_04 said:
Got with Mark via email and he does indeed sell the 1/2 inch spacer kit $45 shipped.

Pittdawg, or anyone else who has put these on, can you tell me how hard they are to install (is a spring compressor needed, etc. ?) A front end alignment is also required after install I believe. If anyone with info can give me a couple pointers I'd really appreciate it.

Pretty straightforward install:
1) jack and support both sides with stands
2) remove upper strut mount nuts and lower yoke nut at lower control arm.
3) remove strut assembly. Add top spacer and reinstall.

It jacked up my alignment way more than I anticipated. My steering wheel was like 30 degrees off. So I had to pay $80 to have it professionally aligned. It rides very well now though.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Pittdawg said:
Pretty straightforward install:
1) jack and support both sides with stands
2) remove upper strut mount nuts and lower yoke nut at lower control arm.
3) remove strut assembly. Add top spacer and reinstall.

It jacked up my alignment way more than I anticipated. My steering wheel was like 30 degrees off. So I had to pay $80 to have it professionally aligned. It rides very well now though.

Yomamma0103 said:
Don't remove the big nut , just the mount nuts

Thanks guys! The response and advice here is always awesome. :thumbsup: Sounds like an easy install - just so I've got it straight, no need for a spring compressor, right?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online