Question about some parts from a front brake hardware kit

thor124

Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Hi there Folks,

I'm doing front rotors and pads on my 2003 TrailBlazer EXT this weekend. Background is that the pads and rotors were changed by the dealer prior to sale to me about 1.5 years/25000 km ago, but now pulse like an SOB and look like crap.

Had the brakes apart when I did the front hubs a few months back, and the caliper bracket slide clips look pretty rough, and I'm pretty sure that the clip that goes on the caliper is MIA, so I bought a brake hardware kit from the LPS. The calipers seem ok, so they're not being done this time out.

I've attached an image of the parts kit with the various parts numbered. I can identify most of them, but there's two I'm not sure about:

1) These clips go onto the caliper bracket.
2) These clips go onto the calipers.
3) Caliper guide pins.
4) I'm not sure what these are, but my guess is they go on the guide pins somewhere. My vehicle appears to be missing these.
5) Not sure where these go, my vehicle appears to be missing these.
6) For me and my lady's use in the bedroom....erm, for lubing the guide pins.

Can anyone enlighten me regarding items 4) & 5)? Maybe a diagram showing thier installation?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20140925_180838.jpg
    IMG_20140925_180838.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 22

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
#4 look like new boots for the caliper slides
#5 clip on the end of the pad. the curled side is like a little handle to pull the pad off, the opposite end contacts the rotor and squeals when the pads get low. that is your "indicator"

thor124

Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
jimmyjam said:
#4 look like new boots for the caliper slides
#5 clip on the end of the pad. the curled side is like a little handle to pull the pad off, the opposite end contacts the rotor and squeals when the pads get low. that is your "indicator"

Thanks! I was wondering if #4 was replacement boots, they just don't look like the ones that are on there now. #5 being noise makers makes sense to me now - on previous vehicles they've been part of the brake pad, not seperate items.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
yeah generally pads come with the bracket and pad clips

smt 59

If you are getting a pulsating then your rotors are warped and need replacing as well as your pads, if the dealer replaced all this they likely used AC Delco parts which is complete shit. Get your brake parts from Napa as their quality is far superior than the dealer. Make sure the new rubbers are installed and use caliper grease on the sliders(very important)

thor124

Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
smt 59 said:
If you are getting a pulsating then your rotors are warped and need replacing as well as your pads, if the dealer replaced all this they likely used AC Delco parts which is complete shit. Get your brake parts from Napa as their quality is far superior than the dealer. Make sure the new rubbers are installed and use caliper grease on the sliders(very important)
Yeah, not sure what he used, but they warped a few months back, and seem to be deeply worn for rotors with so few miles on them. I beat him up on the price of the vehicle, so I'm sure that he didn't put the highest quality parts on.

If you look real close at the picture you can see the NAPA recepit in the bottom right corner. Replacing everything but the calipers - and they may get done after I have a better look at them.

smt 59

thor124 said:
Yeah, not sure what he used, but they warped a few months back, and seem to be deeply worn for rotors with so few miles on them. I beat him up on the price of the vehicle, so I'm sure that he didn't put the highest quality parts on.

If you look real close at the picture you can see the NAPA recepit in the bottom right corner. Replacing everything but the calipers - and they may get done after I have a better look at them.
Delco is their second rate product so they for sure put that on and likely did not grease the pins, good choice with the purchase. You will not really have to worry about the calipers unless they are leaking or siezed, clean them up and paint them while it's all apart, they will look great I went with red on mine. Side note; check your rear brakes to make sure they are working properly, if they are not then this will put extra strain on the fronts and heat up causing warping again.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Interesting. I have never seen 5 as a separate item either.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

moneypit

Dec 7, 2011
Item 5 Sucks ass! Those little pos! I believe they are not wear sensors like pads of yesteryear but rather an anti-rattle clip. They go on like sh*t & just repeatedly come unfastened! I just did mine today & left those out after repeated trys...though it could be my cheap "wearever" pads lol...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online