question about replacement stepper motors

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
That is the set I just bought and will probably install this weekend. On my trip to NYC/LI I was starting to wonder why everyone was doing 35 on the Belt Parkway. No they were doing 50 and the speedo was reading 15, later 20 and finally 25 low. The speedo currently resets itself when I fire up the Voy but that won't last for long.

As I understand it, Gm spec'ed or had designed improved steppers that won't die after 10 years or so. They are different than the originals but should gave many more years of service.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
If I remember correctly, the old stepper motors were black, not white. At least thats what I saw someone else say. Usually stepper motors are alright for quite some time. They typically break if someone pries up the needles to take apart their cluster. There is a video online that says to take your needles and turn them counter clockwise until they snap and then take the needle off. They show that with the broken and good stepper motors. When I replace my lights with led's, I am going to try and use a tool like this to get under the needles and pry them up after I mark their left most position on the cluster so they are programmed right.
aa15301.jpg

Some others have used a fork to pry up their needles but I was worried about scratching up the face of the gauges.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
Ok good. Let me know how it goes if you don't mind. I like learning this stuff so when I have to do it I already know how to

When you turn the needles counter clockwise what breaks?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
It won't happen on mine until the summer. I want to wait until I won't be using the remote start so I know how many times I can go between my house and work before needing to fuel up since I don't have any way to tell how much gas is in my tank when the cluster is out. I am modding the cluster a little too by ditching the volt gauge and putting a SMD-VM1 in its place. Then the LED's will be blue and the needles will be blue and chrome escalade needles. I will post about it when I get to it this spring/early summer. I have a lot of crap planned on my truck like the cluster, doors and dash to modify.

Reactions: Blckshdw and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
kickass audio said:
If I remember correctly, the old stepper motors were black, not white. At least thats what I saw someone else say. Usually stepper motors are alright for quite some time. They typically break if someone pries up the needles to take apart their cluster. There is a video online that says to take your needles and turn them counter clockwise until they snap and then take the needle off. They show that with the broken and good stepper motors. When I replace my lights with led's, I am going to try and use a tool like this to get under the needles and pry them up after I mark their left most position on the cluster so they are programmed right. http://images.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/a/aa15301.jpg

Some others have used a fork to pry up their needles but I was worried about scratching up the face of the gauges.
I doubt that tool would work for the needles, it's too thick by the looks. The fork worked perfect for me, and the gauge face is tougher than you think. Also, the needles come off easy.

Zack2003 said:
It breaks it's grip on the stepper motor shaft.

I done all six of mine a month or so ago and had no issues at all.

I highly recommend a solder sucker though. I thought I could get away with solder wick but it didn't work well at all.

Reactions: kickass audio

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
Hey Mounce when you did youres. Do you turn counter clockwise to zero and stop or is there a place you can feel to stop ? And did you just put the tape on the faceplate and mark the end of the needle and put them right back where they were and it worked ?

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
kickass audio said:
It won't happen on mine until the summer. I want to wait until I won't be using the remote start so I know how many times I can go between my house and work before needing to fuel up since I don't have any way to tell how much gas is in my tank when the cluster is out. I am modding the cluster a little too by ditching the volt gauge and putting a SMD-VM1 in its place. Then the LED's will be blue and the needles will be blue and chrome escalade needles. I will post about it when I get to it this spring/early summer. I have a lot of crap planned on my truck like the cluster, doors and dash to modify.
I'm super curious how you work out the volt display..

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Zack2003 said:
Hey Mounce when you did youres. Do you turn counter clockwise to zero and stop or is there a place you can feel to stop ? And did you just put the tape on the faceplate and mark the end of the needle and put them right back where they were and it worked ?
To be honest, I can't comment on that at all. It confused me when I got to the point of marking them because the needle will turn to the left an eighth of an inch or so and then stop and I didn't know whether to mark it where it sits or turn it to the left and mark it. I just took a picture of mine and got them close then put the cluster in without the front cover on and adjusted them till they read close to what they should.

Reactions: Sib

Zack2003

Original poster
Jan 24, 2015
As in leaving the plastic cover off and putting the key in the run position and adjust them until they were perfectly on zero?

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Midnyteryder196 said:
I'm super curious how you work out the volt display..
That's easy really. just go and mark the part of the volt meter that is covered by the front face and then dremel that part off of the gauge face. Then unsolder the stepper motor from the PCB and either use fiberglass resin or more than likely just use some CA glue to adhere the meter to the front facing of the gauge like where the silver goes around the needles for looks and then just run 3 wires, one for ground, one for the turn on which I will wire to the trigger wire that is hot when in accessory and run, and the other wire goes to the battery to show voltage which I am running to the rear battery bank I have.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Zack2003 said:
As in leaving the plastic cover off and putting the key in the run position and adjust them until they were perfectly on zero?
Put it in and turned the key then realized that they were way off. Turned key off, took cluster out, front plastic cover comes off with a few push tabs so I popped it off then adjusted them.

You could start by putting it back in without the front cover and make sure it all looks okay by turning the key and/or starting it, ake adjustments if you needed to, then pop the cover back on without removing the cluster if you wanted because putting it back on is real easy.

*JUST MAKE SURE THE KEY IS OFF WHEN ADJUSTING THE NEEDLES! If not, you could damage them.*

Would probably be a safer bet to just remove it while adjusting them though like I did.

Reactions: kickass audio
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
kickass audio said:
That's easy really. just go and mark the part of the volt meter that is covered by the front face and then dremel that part off of the gauge face. Then unsolder the stepper motor from the PCB and either use fiberglass resin or more than likely just use some CA glue to adhere the meter to the front facing of the gauge like where the silver goes around the needles for looks and then just run 3 wires, one for ground, one for the turn on which I will wire to the trigger wire that is hot when in accessory and run, and the other wire goes to the battery to show voltage which I am running to the rear battery bank I have.
Sounds easy enough.. Be looking forward to seeing how it turns out for sure!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
kickass audio said:
If I remember correctly, the old stepper motors were black, not white. At least thats what I saw someone else say. Usually stepper motors are alright for quite some time. They typically break if someone pries up the needles to take apart their cluster. There is a video online that says to take your needles and turn them counter clockwise until they snap and then take the needle off. They show that with the broken and good stepper motors. When I replace my lights with led's, I am going to try and use a tool like this to get under the needles and pry them up after I mark their left most position on the cluster so they are programmed right. http://images.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/a/aa15301.jpg

A paper towel folded over a couple of times under the fulcrum of what ever you plan to pry with should protect the gauge face. But all the videos I've watched show the person just using the fork directly on the face.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Zack2003 said:
Ok good. Let me know how it goes if you don't mind. I like learning this stuff so when I have to do it I already know how to

I think there's a little bit of adhesive on the post of the stepper motor, and when you turn the needle past the zero mark, the 'breaking' is the bond of the adhesive, making the needles easier to remove.

kickass audio said:
It won't happen on mine until the summer...<snip>... Then the LED's will be blue and the needles will be blue and chrome escalade needles. <snip>... I have a lot of crap planned on my truck like the cluster, doors and dash to modify.
:goodpost: I approve of this mod. That is all.

Mark20 said:
A paper towel folded over a couple of times under the fulcrum of what ever you plan to pry with should protect the gauge face. But all the videos I've watched show the person just using the fork directly on the face.
Each of the times I've tinkered with the LEDs and stepper motors in my clusters, (DIC and non DIC) I've either used a kitchen fork, or my bare fingers. Think I required a fork the first 2 times removing the needles. After that, was able to wedge a finger under the lip on each side, squeeze inward and get enough pressure to pop them loose. Just one of those things that comes with doing it enough times (or having mods to do :rolleyes:)

You won't scratch the gauge face with a fork, unless the fork you're using has a jacked up surface on the underside. :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli