Put my new hid's n fogs in today.

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
I finally got some hids for my fogs today, and got new bulbs for the headlights so everything matches. Nothin special really, but heres a pic. Their not quite as blue as the pic shows, more like a light purple.
1rf5h1.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Nice.. gotta love the light output of HID's.. from the looks of the pix, im guessing you went with 6000k's?

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Boricua SS said:
Nice.. gotta love the light output of HID's.. from the looks of the pix, im guessing you went with 6000k's?

I actually went with 12k, i got those in a couple of my wifes cars and i didnt want blue, i wanted purple, but not toooo much color (i was goin for a whiteish-purple color, if thatmakes sense). My brother has 6k on his TBSS and thats a lil too white compared to what i was goin for.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
I also have an Envoy and was thinking HIDs for my fogs. Can you please let me know were you got yours ?

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Ilikemy3s said:
I also have an Envoy and was thinking HIDs for my fogs. Can you please let me know were you got yours ?

DDM tuning, best deal for the price.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GotAir? said:
DDM tuning, best deal for the price.

:iagree:

So your head lights are just regular bulbs then? What kind are they? Hows the light output for those also? :undecided:

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
:iagree:

So your head lights are just regular bulbs then? What kind are they? Hows the light output for those also? :undecided:

No, i already had HID's in the headlights (AGAPE brand, i think?), but i wanted the heads to match the fogs so i got some ddm replacement hid bulbs in 12k to match the fog kit.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
12k:eek: :crackup:

those should be plenty blue for you.. i have VVME's lows and fogs and in 8k.. plenty blue for me... hows the light output of the 12k's? the higher the temp, the lower the light output.. interested in seeing a night shot when you have the chance..

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GotAir? said:
No, i already had HID's in the headlights (AGAPE brand, i think?), but i wanted the heads to match the fogs so i got some ddm replacement hid bulbs in 12k to match the fog kit.

Oh okay because I was going to say, if those are regular bulbs then damn they look good for regular ones lol but nice man :thumbsup: Yeah I need to get myself some HIDs for the fog lights also!! Are they pretty blinding when looking at them at night? as in do they seem to beam into your eyes also? Because I feel like the fog lights are tilted abit higher the the headlights

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Boricua SS said:
12k:eek: :crackup:

those should be plenty blue for you.. i have VVME's lows and fogs and in 8k.. plenty blue for me... hows the light output of the 12k's? the higher the temp, the lower the light output.. interested in seeing a night shot when you have the chance..

Im gonna try to get a night shot tonight after work, they say the higher temp the less output but their still waaay brighter than any conventional bulb. And as far as color goes the more expensive the hid kit, usually the richer the color output is. 3k is more yellow, then 5-6 k is basically bright white, 8-10k is usually blue, and 12ki and up is purple. Ive been around the block with many many different hid brands, temps, watts, etc etc etc before, this is prolly my 12-15th set in dfferent cars over the years, not including my other friends n family that ive installed em for, lol

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Oh okay because I was going to say, if those are regular bulbs then damn they look good for regular ones lol but nice man :thumbsup: Yeah I need to get myself some HIDs for the fog lights also!! Are they pretty blinding when looking at them at night? as in do they seem to beam into your eyes also? Because I feel like the fog lights are tilted abit higher the the headlights

Ive never had any problems with putting hids in regular housings, the people that complain about them getting blinded are complaining about the idiots that dont know how to correctly adjust their headlights after installing the hids. And as far as the fog lights, i cant speak for the envoys yet (i only installed them this afternoon) but for all my other cars that ive swapped hids in the fogs i havnt had any problems, usually fogs are more of a narrow & wide beam of light, so the light doesnt scatter too much. Ill try to post a pic of the light pattern against my garage door or something late night tonight when i get home

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
GotAir? said:
Ive never had any problems with putting hids in regular housings, the people that complain about them getting blinded are complaining about the idiots that dont know how to correctly adjust their headlights after installing the hids. And as far as the fog lights, i cant speak for the envoys yet (i only installed them this afternoon) but for all my other cars that ive swapped hids in the fogs i havnt had any problems, usually fogs are more of a narrow & wide beam of light, so the light doesnt scatter too much. Ill try to post a pic of the light pattern against my garage door or something late night tonight when i get home

totally agree with that statement... you can always tell the people that know what they are doing when it comes to HID installs...

i know its not a voy... but i have fog HID's as well.. zero complaints from oncomers... i say go for it man.. and enjoy the extra light output..

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Sounds good!! Yeah I realized that the light for my fogs lights at least for me are not a even line or are they not suppose to? I was thinking of getting 4300K or 5000K for the fogs because I would love the extra light :yes:

edit: Here is a picture I just went and got of them...as you can see the right is a tad bit higher

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 11

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Sounds good!! Yeah I realized that the light for my fogs lights at least for me are not a even line or are they not suppose to? I was thinking of getting 4300K or 5000K for the fogs because I would love the extra light :yes:

edit: Here is a picture I just went and got of them...as you can see the right is a tad bit higher

Looks good, ill get a pic the next nice night, got tied up after work and didnt get home till late, and weather has been crappy since, ill try to get a couple night pics posted by the weekend.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Seems like 12K would be begging for attention from the fellas with the other kind of blue lights on their cars. Its a personal preference thing, but anything above 8K I think is just too much color and too much light drop off

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Seems like 12K would be begging for attention from the fellas with the other kind of blue lights on their cars. Its a personal preference thing, but anything above 8K I think is just too much color and too much light drop off

It depends where u get them from. The cheaper the kit the less "rich" of a color. I just got cheap ddm 12k on mine, ive had the same on my cavalier for a couple years now and never gotten pulled over, i got expensive McCulloch 12k on m wifes dakota and those are way more purple and never got pulled over either, and i even got cheap off brand 30k for the wifes s10 and have never gotten pulled over for any of them. And actually in a lot of kits, 10k has less color than 8k, 8k is more dark blue, compared to 10k is more light blue. I got friends that hpave gotten tickets for their 8k being too much color, and ive had 10k in my heads and fogs of my challenger for 2 1/2 years now and havnt gotten hassled either.

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
As far as light drop off goes, i see a lot of people complaining about the higher the k, the more light drop off, and they use that as an excuse for not getting certain lights. Theres is a slight drop off but i almost think the lower k are sometimes too bright. Maybe its just me but ive had everything from crazy yellow 3k all the way up to 30k in different cars over the years, and anything 6k and under almost seems like its tooo bright for any type of daily driving application unless ya aim them fairly low on the ground. Im not against em, but i like 6k and lower only in brights and off road lighting. The higher k lighting works good for me, still brighter than factory while not blinding people coming at me, and still has a badass color to make my car look better at the same time. :thumbsup:.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:

I just put 5000k in the lows and fogs and I'm super happy. I was going for output and not looks so I picked 5000k for extra lumens and not color. Their crazy bright but no ones flashing me.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
I just put 5000k in the lows and fogs and I'm super happy. I was going for output and not looks so I picked 5000k for extra lumens and not color. Their crazy bright but no ones flashing me.

I was talking to my buddy today and I think I am going to do 5000k for the fogs, I also am looking for output and I think the 5000k and 6000k look great to me so it fits my looks check list lol I do not like any color outside of the 4300k, 5k and 6k range. Too yellow or too blue IMO. I like the pure white with that tint of blue witch is what I have with the 6k but for fogs I am staying away from any blue at all so 5k would work great!

But my question also is that is your fogs lights like mine? Not a perfect line like that? One is a bit higher

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I was talking to my buddy today and I think I am going to do 5000k for the fogs, I also am looking for output and I think the 5000k and 6000k look great to me so it fits my looks check list lol I do not like any color outside of the 4300k, 5k and 6k range. Too yellow or too blue IMO. I like the pure white with that tint of blue witch is what I have with the 6k but for fogs I am staying away from any blue at all so 5k would work great!

But my question also is that is your fogs lights like mine? Not a perfect line like that? One is a bit higher

Im not sure how level my fogs are, its raining out tonight so ill check this weekend, im not 100% but arent they adjustable? Usually on most gm products that have fog lights there is at least an up-down adjustment, ill pop my headlight out this weekend and check to c if theres an adjuster screw on the top of the foglight

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
GotAir? said:
Im not sure how level my fogs are, its raining out tonight so ill check this weekend, im not 100% but arent they adjustable? Usually on most gm products that have fog lights there is at least an up-down adjustment, ill pop my headlight out this weekend and check to c if theres an adjuster screw on the top of the foglight

I read before that there isn't for the fogs. I know for sure the lows do because I did those already but if they have a adjuster for the fogs that would be good! Ill prob look tomorrow also and see if I see anything myself

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I actually just happened to take off one of my fog housings today, and I can confirm that there is infact an adjustment screw for up/down/ Looked like a star screw head, with a spring on the threaded part of the bolt then it bolts to a small plastic piece at the top. From under the car, you should be able to access it directly under the fog housing at the rear end.

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Finally got a couple pics, sorry it took so long, their only a couple crappy cell phone pics, but u get the idea, they still look slightly blue, but i think thats my phone, they got a lil more purple hue than the pics still show, but its fairly close. Mind you have NOT aligned anything yet, so their a lil crooked, lol.

jfkya8.jpg

1zsl1c.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
06-ascender said:
What did they run at DDM? Saw a kit for $40--bulbs, ballast, etc...is that what you ordered? Just curious.

Yupp and a relay harness for $15 I think. Will help for the long run! Shipping is a bit expensive but a great brand over all!

06-ascender

May 1, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Yupp and a relay harness for $15 I think. Will help for the long run! Shipping is a bit expensive but a great brand over all!

What's the relay harness for?? If that is common knowledge forgive me.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
06-ascender said:

the relay harness protects your stock headlight wiring harness.. a must have in my book... $15 bucks to save your wires... i recommend them to anyone doing HID's

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
the relay harness protects your stock headlight wiring harness.. a must have in my book... $15 bucks to save your wires... i recommend them to anyone doing HID's

:iagree: Saves a headache for the future! the factory one isn't strong enough to draw the power needed

GotAir?

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
06-ascender said:

If you wanna run the harness its up to you(no offense to the guys that swear by em). But i havn't and i've had HID's in every one of my cars ever since about 05, and never had a problem with any of em damaging my factory wires. Some hid's draw less power than factory halogen bulbs, so if the factory wiring handles halogens, then it should have no problem handling HID's. Just my two cents

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
That's true, but I've heard the initial voltage draw as they're warming up is much higher. Also not everyone runs 35w, some people choose to go higher. Fact it is not only protects your factory wiring, but also gives more consistent voltage to the ballast. I'd rather have it installed and be overkill, then not put one in and have a possibility of things going wrong.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
looking great! I've got 2 spare ballasts sitting at home doing nothing. Maybe it's time I put them to work with some HIDS in my fogs too! :thumbsup:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
fadyasha said:
looking great! I've got 2 spare ballasts sitting at home doing nothing. Maybe it's time I put them to work with some HIDS in my fogs too! :thumbsup:

Do it! HID's were the first thing I did to my truck, lows and fogs 3 days after I bought it. I've changed the sets through the years, changed fogs from yellow to white, changed to a different brand with higher powered ballasts. Fact of the matter is not only does it make your truck look amazing at night, but how much you can see is incredible. I have 5% tint all around the back, 20% tint on the front 2 windows, and 50% tint on the windshield. I drive at night with my windows up 99% of the time, and I can see the road perfectly clear.

Just tonight I was driving my saturn, stock windshield with no tint, windows rolled down and stock headlights and bulbs. Felt like I didn't even have headlights on. They make that much of a difference! The fogs paired with the lows is going to let you see everything from right in front of your truck to several yards out, and to me cars look weird when you have HID's and then halogens on at the same time on a different light. That's why every light on my whole front end is either HID's or LED's, although I havent changed my highs yet.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher