Pure Gem Detailing

ChriSS K

Original poster
Member
Jan 3, 2012
243
Hey guys! I've been around from the old forum for a while and now I glad to be here on this one. I just want to take a moment and offer my private detailing services to whoever might be interested. The type work I do goes from your simple wash and wax to minor paint correction to remove light swirl marks. I detail out of my personal garage located in the friendly hatboro area.
I only detail in the spring, summer and fall. I don't have the ability to detail in the winter time (sorry). I figure the detailing weather will be working is way in soon enough so I'll start posting.
I'm listed on facebook at www.facebook.com/puregemdetailing. Feel free to look it up and even click the "like"! I'm also like on a mustang forum "Philly Stangs". Here is the link for the vendor section where I'm listed http://phillystangs.com/forums/index.php?board=30.0. Between the two links there are pictures of my work. I will continue to update as we go. Feel free to email questions at puregemdetailing@comcast.net or simply PM me here! If anyone is having problems seeing pictures let me know and I will post here. Thanks
 

Mark20

Member
Dec 6, 2011
1,630
You're almost in my backyard. I'll keep you in mind as the weather warms up.
 

smitty5150

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,069
Good to see another detailer on the forum. Surprisingly local, too. Same deal as you, I do it from my garage and generally not during the winter months. How long have you been at it? What are your go to products?
 

ChriSS K

Original poster
Member
Jan 3, 2012
243
smitty5150 said:
Good to see another detailer on the forum. Surprisingly local, too. Same deal as you, I do it from my garage and generally not during the winter months. How long have you been at it? What are your go to products?

I just got into the world of buffers and high end polish/compounds about 2 years ago. I started out like most with the PC 7424XP and worked my way into the flex XC 3401. In terms of the stuff I use I pretty much only use menzerna for all my cut, polish and seal work. Im a big fan of Lake Country pads also. This is not my full time job so I pretty much just do this as a weekend thing.
 

smitty5150

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,069
Very cool. I've been at it for about 10 years as a hobbyist, but only 6 months as a "pro". I did work for local detailers throughout my time as a hobbyist. Used a lot of prowax when I worked for detail shops years ago. I've been sticking with Meguiars since I started my own gig, and will be keeping that brand on the shelf in addition to carrying chemical guys products as business grows.
 

ChriSS K

Original poster
Member
Jan 3, 2012
243
smitty5150 said:
Very cool. I've been at it for about 10 years as a hobbyist, but only 6 months as a "pro". I did work for local detailers throughout my time as a hobbyist. Used a lot of prowax when I worked for detail shops years ago. I've been sticking with Meguiars since I started my own gig, and will be keeping that brand on the shelf in addition to carrying chemical guys products as business grows.

I hear ya. I hear good things with the chemical guys. Do you use a DA or rotary? I figured the Flex was the safest combo and with the added power over the PC it makes a BIG difference. I detail sometimes for a dealer in lancaster and I was using the PC all day and at one point she really started cooking to the point where I couldn't even put pressure on it. With the flex its just night and day. I will still use my PC for LSP or small spots.
 

smitty5150

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,069
ChriSS K said:
I hear ya. I hear good things with the chemical guys. Do you use a DA or rotary? I figured the Flex was the safest combo and with the added power over the PC it makes a BIG difference. I detail sometimes for a dealer in lancaster and I was using the PC all day and at one point she really started cooking to the point where I couldn't even put pressure on it. With the flex its just night and day. I will still use my PC for LSP or small spots.

I use the pc 7424 and I keep a couple harbor freight rotaries on the shelf. They do a pretty good job and are cheap in case of replacement.
 
Dec 4, 2011
520
smitty5150 said:
I use the pc 7424 and I keep a couple harbor freight rotaries on the shelf. They do a pretty good job and are cheap in case of replacement.

It took me awhile but I think the PC 7424 is the polisher you use. Am I correct? I have a cheap two handed Simmoniz or something like that, but I am not really happy with it.

I have considered spending the extra money for the PORTER CABLE.
 

ChriSS K

Original poster
Member
Jan 3, 2012
243
RedEnvoyDenal said:
It took me awhile but I think the PC 7424 is the polisher you use. Am I correct? I have a cheap two handed Simmoniz or something like that, but I am not really happy with it.

I have considered spending the extra money for the PORTER CABLE.

You can't go wrong with a PC. I would suggest not going any bigger than a 5.5" pad though. The 6.5" is a bit much the PC to move with any kind of pressure.
 

smitty5150

Member
Nov 18, 2011
1,069
ChriSS K said:
You can't go wrong with a PC. I would suggest not going any bigger than a 5.5" pad though. The 6.5" is a bit much the PC to move with any kind of pressure.

Agreed. They are very versatile. Be wary of using straight up rotary buffers. Inexperience can lead to burnt paint.
 

ChriSS K

Original poster
Member
Jan 3, 2012
243
smitty5150 said:
Agreed. They are very versatile. Be wary of using straight up rotary buffers. Inexperience can lead to burnt paint.

The gap between a DA and rotary gets closed with the Flex though. While its still not a rotary its direct drive makes it come real close to rotary action. The flex is a true DA action buffer, but it comes at a price!!! If your just doing the daily driver the PC will exceed your expectations I'm sure.
 
Dec 4, 2011
520
ChriSS K said:
The gap between a DA and rotary gets closed with the Flex though. While its still not a rotary its direct drive makes it come real close to rotary action. The flex is a true DA action buffer, but it comes at a price!!! If your just doing the daily driver the PC will exceed your expectations I'm sure.

Please bear with me. What is DA? :confused: What is rotary? :confused: What is Flex? :confused:

Sorry I am over 21 (well over) and don't know all the shortcuts.
 

ChriSS K

Original poster
Member
Jan 3, 2012
243
RedEnvoyDenal said:
Please bear with me. What is DA? :confused: What is rotary? :confused: What is Flex? :confused:

Sorry I am over 21 (well over) and don't know all the shortcuts.

Here is a nice detail.
WHAT IS A DUAL ACTION POLISHER?
Years ago, the vast majority of paintwork polishing was carried out using rotary polishers with wool or foam “mops”. These polishers are still the mainstay of many body shops and professional detailers and when used correctly they can deliver spectacular results. However they have a risks attached to them and require practice to be able to get the best out of them. Owing to their nature, where the pad spins on a constant orbit, a rotary polisher can develop significant heat on the paintwork which can lead to paint burns in the hands of an inexperienced user.

By contrast, a dual action polisher is a much safer tool to simply pick up and use. By dual action, it means that the pad not only spins in a circle, but it also oscillates. This results in a random orbit movement of the pad – sometimes such polishes are referred to as “Random-Orbit” polishers (RO polishers) for this reason. The diagram below highlights the difference between the pad motion of a rotary and a dual action polisher:
The image didn't carry over, but try to imagine something spinning in just a circle and another that sill spins in a circle and orbits at the same time.



The random orbit nature of a dual action polisher means that it generates far less heat than a rotary polisher. It is a more gentle tool so correction work typically takes longer. However it is also safer to use and easier to learn which makes it the ideal beginners’ tool.

Some dual action tools such as the Cyclo use two smaller pads which follow the random orbit path above, rather than the single pad of the PC/UDM/G220. These machines are more restricted when it comes to pad size but are still very capable tools when it comes to paintwork correction and finish.
 

Mark20

Member
Dec 6, 2011
1,630
PC = Porter Cable.

Though I'm not into detailing I do know their dual action polisher is regarded as excellent and is a professional level tool.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,484
Posts
639,852
Members
18,717
Latest member
Leoliboy

Members Online