Purchasing a Tech2

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Looking at purchasing one of these handy dandy and old units (LOL).

I see them on eBay for Chinese clones for 300-350, and I find them ocasionally on Facebook. And name brand GM/Bosch units for 1400.

I found one on Facebook local to me, the guy is asking 400, and it IS a Chinese clone. Being that I can get them from eBay for 300, would a offer of 250 be to low?

What difference am I going to see inbetween the Chinese clones, and the name brand?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
There are only Two Chinese Companies that produce these General Motors Knock Off "GYMKO" Tech 2 Units. Other than seeing the name GM on the upper front Label and Vetronix on the Back Label... their physical appearances and functioning apparatus should be indistinguishable from each other.

This attached video shows an "Un-Boxing" of a Typical Chinese Clone of the GM Tech 2 that does NOT come with the Blow Molded Black Bosch Vetronix Plastic Carry Case. If the FB Seller wants $400.00 and he's Local to you, he should be willing to let you drop by and be able to produce ALL of the Components shown in this Video during a Local Pick Up.

Make him PROVE that his "GYMKO" Scanner Boots Up and has a Clear and Clean BLUE Screen when hooked up to his vehicle. There are No Acceptable Excuses for NOT being able to Test that Used Unit yourself.

Also, he needs to allow you to confirm that ALL of the Bubble Keys on the Scanner Keypad work. All Tech 2s comes with an automated Boot Up Self-Diagnosis Series of Tests that will allow you to immediately thrash the unit out in hand and prove that everything REALLY WORKS...B4-U-BUY-IT.

I would not pay him a Nickel over $300.00 for the Whole Shebang if he cannot produce ALL of the Gear that this Dude empties out of his Cardboard Box or if the unit is in any way Damaged, Cracked or REALLY Beat Up All To Hell and Gone:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I got mine for $400 a couple of years ago, but it's a real deal GM / Vetronix. Found it on my local Craigslist, and the guy who owned it was a retiring GM tech, who gave me a quick & dirty lesson with the thing. Got everything except the storage case and the TIS2000 laptop. You could tell it had seen use; some of the labeling had been worn off the keys, etc., and the guy had put a piece of corrugated cardboard between the PCMCIA card and the unit housing (contacts wear & loosen up on the things). Still works flawlessly; I just used mine a week or so ago.

I just looked, and none listed right now near me (sorry). But I had an idea... since GM techs now use the MDI tool (it's backward compatible)... you might be able to find a tech at a local GM dealer who still has their Tech2 and would be willing to sell it (hopefully with the CANdi module, the adapters, etc.)

Admittedly, it's a long shot, given that the MDI tool came out around 2013 or so. But if you were to sidle up to a service advisor and give him a note w/ your contact info at a couple of dealerships, they might (?) pass on the info to the techs (especially the old hands who had them). Maybe a couple of dozen donuts or something could provide some 'lubrication' to get a dialogue started -? Although that might start getting expensive, after the first dealership.

If you do this, I wouldn't volunteer a price you'd be 'willing to pay'... just say you'd like to buy one if anyone is selling. Maybe you get one for cheaper than $400 (possible, since they're almost 10yrs obsolete now).

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online