Problem with corner lights

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
So I ordered a set of 18 SMD LED's from DFWWIZ and as far as I can remember I have always seen the lights on. When I went to swap the bulbs today I couldn't get the corner lights to turn on no matter what I did. Car on, car running, park, drive, neutral, lights on, fogs on, etc etc. I have a feeling it's a blown fuse, but I can't find anything about corner or perimeter lights under the fuse box covers. I also tried turning Perimeter lights off and back on in my DIC. What fuse should I check to see if it's blown?

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
fr34kout said:
So I ordered a set of 18 SMD LED's from DFWWIZ and as far as I can remember I have always seen the lights on. When I went to swap the bulbs today I couldn't get the corner lights to turn on no matter what I did. Car on, car running, park, drive, neutral, lights on, fogs on, etc etc. I have a feeling it's a blown fuse, but I can't find anything about corner or perimeter lights under the fuse box covers. I also tried turning Perimeter lights off and back on in my DIC. What fuse should I check to see if it's blown?

Did you try flipping the light 180 degrees and plug it in again? Then just turn the head lights on and then signal and see if they work then

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
ItsOnVoy said:
Did you try flipping the light 180 degrees and plug it in again? Then just turn the head lights on and then signal and see if they work then

:iagree:

that would be my first guess/suggestion... LED's are polarity specific... might just have the bulbs in backwards

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Oh no of course I tried that, but the thing was I couldn't even get the stock bulbs to turn on before I tried swapping it out to make sure they were on before I tried to put in the LED to see if I had it in the right way or not. I still have both stock bulbs in and I can't get those to turn on lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The way you had them in, they would work fine with turn signals, but not with the parking lights. Flipping them around will have them working with the parking lights and turn signals when the parking lights are on, but you won't have turn signal functionality when the parking lights aren't on (during the day) but you can't really see them during the daytime anyway.

Edit: Well if your stock bulbs don't light up either... Do your front and rear parking lights still function normally?

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Just went and checked, both rear parking lights work fine, 3/4 front parking lights work fine (driver side 194 appears to be blown), but the corner lights till aren't turning on

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Are you talking about the ones that aren't in the headlight? They are on fuse 37 in the rear block but if I'm reading the schematic correctly it looks like they only come on when the turn sigs are on. I don't have an Envoy here to verify that.

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
You're a damn genius, went and checked and the left one turns on when the left turn signal is on, right when right turn signal is on, and both are off when the hazards are on. I might wanna try and wire them up to be on with the parking lights or head lights. If my HID's are on a relay, can I just splice in my own power wire to the bulbs and run them to the switched power wire on the relay and tap it there?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
fr34kout said:
You're a damn genius, went and checked and the left one turns on when the left turn signal is on, right when right turn signal is on, and both are off when the hazards are on. I might wanna try and wire them up to be on with the parking lights or head lights. If my HID's are on a relay, can I just splice in my own power wire to the bulbs and run them to the switched power wire on the relay and tap it there?

Nah I'm just fluid with the diagrams lol....I don't see why that wouldn't work. You'd want to put 12v from the relay to the orange wire on the left one and the (positive) black wire for the right. The schematic shows 2 black leads to the right side so you'd have to verify the correct one. If you do cut those wires to add in the new leads you might want to tape them up super good since if one shorts out it will take out fuse 37 which will kill all the park lights.

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Lmao I was actually flipping through my Chiltons and right when I was getting to the diagram I read your post and saw the diagram myself after reading what you said and went yup there's the problem lol. I might actually just do the pull and twist while leaving the stock wire intact so it will still work like normal but when I switch them on (thought about it, going to run it to the fogs) with the fogs they'll be on consistently. Going to wire it up tomorrow lol, thanks for the help bro

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
fr34kout said:
You're a damn genius, went and checked and the left one turns on when the left turn signal is on, right when right turn signal is on,

Glad you got it figured out, and don't mean to sound like a jerk, but this does make some sense as they are "Corner Lights", as in light up stuff around the corner while you are turning.

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Haha yea it makes a lot more sense when you actually think about it, but yesterday I was under car scratching my head trying to figure out why the bulbs weren't lighting up lol. Let's just say I thought they worked the way I'm going to rewire them to, so I didn't even think about them only turning on when the turn signals haha. I'll fix that right up :thumbsup:

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Wired it up today and got it working how I wanted to, or so I thought. Had my friend check the bulb function after I was done, fogs on = both corner lights on, sweet. Then I tried turn signals and they weren't turning on. I was like ah screw it. Later on I figured out hey I didn't have the car on or in drive, tried that and what do you know not only does it still function as a regular corner light when the fogs aren't on, but turning my fogs on makes they both turn on and stay on.

Then tonight I had a friend drive it around the parking lot, and what do I find out? Fogs off and turn signal on turns on my fogs LMAO. So I'm scratching my head going hmm how am I going to fix this, wire up a relay? Then after a few beers I realized all I need is a diode lmao. Heading to radioshack in the morning to get it done the right way (again) lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online