Preventative Maintenance

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Hi guys, Im going to be replacing my clutch fan in my 02 envoy i6, with 205000kms on it, due to the fact i get a loud fan noise on start up. during the process I will also be replacing the water pump and upper and lower rad hose's not b/c they need to be changed but i might as well do them while i have everything apart. Is there anything else i should be replacing at the same time while i have everything apart?
Thanks for the help

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
I would suggest the thermostat and temp sensor if you're gonna have the coolant drained. They are known for going bad. Mostly the thermostat, but both would be a good bet to replace. How are your other fluids? T-case, differentials, trans, plugs etc... ?

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
fishguy1123 said:
I would suggest the thermostat and temp sensor if you're gonna have the coolant drained.......
:iagree:

Probably should flush the cooling system before starting anything else, and then replace coolant with new DexCool too.

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks forthe help guys, I replaced my thermostat about 1 year ago so I should be good, I'll change out the temp sensor and flush the coolant. All my other fluids in the casings I've changed out already.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
98tsiawd said:
Thanks forthe help guys, I replaced my thermostat about 1 year ago so I should be good, I'll change out the temp sensor and flush the coolant. All my other fluids in the casings I've changed out already.

FWIW. When you changed the thermostat you pretty much changed your coolant.

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Im going to place an order through rockauto, does it matter which clutch fan i get? they seem to have a wide variety and price range.
thanks for the help

also i will be ordering a new window motor and regulator assembly from rock auto, does it matter which one? there are lots of options and the price range.
Thanks again.

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
98tsiawd said:
Hi guys, Im going to be replacing my clutch fan in my 02 envoy i6, with 205000kms on it, due to the fact i get a loud fan noise on start up. during the process I will also be replacing the water pump and upper and lower rad hose's not b/c they need to be changed but i might as well do them while i have everything apart. Is there anything else i should be replacing at the same time while i have everything apart?
Thanks for the help

I wouldn't touch the fan clutch due to noise on startup. I believe this is normal operation.

I also would not replace any hoses, but I would perform a close inspection on all rubber parts under the hood.

The owners manual recommends coolant change at 150,000 miles, or 5 years, so it is probably time to change your coolant.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
98tsiawd said:
Im going to place an order through rockauto, does it matter which clutch fan i get? they seem to have a wide variety and price range.
thanks for the help

also i will be ordering a new window motor and regulator assembly from rock auto, does it matter which one? there are lots of options and the price range.
Thanks again.

Have you tried using Google Product Search? I notice Amazon.com in the search results a lot for being the cheapest. They carry a ton of AC Delco stuff cheaper than Rock Auto or any of the other auto parts stores. And because the AC Delco stuff is cheaper you don't need to buy iffy aftermarket parts.

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
hey guys,
sorry for bring back an old thread, i did the work i originally stated last april and now I have a small antifreeze leak coming from the water pump gasket, so this weekend I'll be installing a new water pump, gasket, new belt tensioner and idler pulley. would someone be able to tell me what the torque specs are for the water pump bolts, belt tensioner bolt and idler pulley bolt?? also is it it normal to experience a water pump leak at the gasket almost a year later? or could there be another problem that caused my leak?
I appreciate the help

Thanks

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I only have 2004. Others are similar. Many folks don't even OWN a torque wrench. They are to be pitied, but their trucks don't suddenly quit working if they manage to not torque the bolt head off. But water pump bolts DO get torqued off a lot, to many owner's extreme anguish. Anybody want to OCR these?

4-2EngineSpecs-1.jpg

4-2EngineSpecs-2.jpg

4-2EngineSpecs-3.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online