Power Steering Problemo?

AquaLady

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
I just so happen to have my music turned low and heard a funny noise while turning the wheel. Lol don't make fun of my description of the sound but I can't think of no other way to describe it. Here goes...
If you're in bed, run your finger or scratch the bed. Here's another, if you have on a nylon jacket, rub your sleeves together. That's what the heck it sounds like.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
AquaLady said:
I just so happen to have my music turned low and heard a funny noise while turning the wheel. Lol don't make fun of my description of the sound but I can't think of no other way to describe it. Here goes...
If you're in bed, run your finger or scratch the bed. Here's another, if you have on a nylon jacket, rub your sleeves together. That's what the heck it sounds like.

Was it just when actually turning the wheel, or did the sound continue when you held the wheel in a particular position until you straightened it out? Did you hit the end of steering wheel travel doing a sharp turn?

AquaLady

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
It happens while turning the wheel all the way both ways. While driving and while in park. It stays straight while driving and doesn't stray off.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
AquaLady said:
It happens while turning the wheel all the way both ways. While driving and while in park. It stays straight while driving and doesn't stray off.

So if you turned the wheel say 1 turn to the left and held it there, the noise only happens when you're actually turning and not while just holding it there, correct?

I have a hint of noise like that myself when turning the wheel. I'm not sure if there is any points in the intermediate shaft which need greased.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
I also have this noise. Sounds like a couple pieces of vinyl rubbing together according to another post I read long ago - I haven't solved the issue, I believe the other poster who used the vinyl reference did though. As I recall, it's not a real issue, just an irritation.

Ahh yes, searching "steering noise vinyl" turned up the thread: http://gmtnation.com/f79/my-power-steering-pump-going-bad-5443/

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
I would suggest that you flush your PS fluid.
Remove what is in the system, and put in new PS fluid.
Worked for me.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Texan said:
I would suggest that you flush your PS fluid.
Remove what is in the system, and put in new PS fluid.
Worked for me.

Couldn't hurt. If this wasn't layoff season (I didn't take one, maybe I should have :rotfl:) I'd have this and like six other things done by now.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
An easy way to flush the power steering is to get yourself a turkey baster and use it suck out the old fluid from the reservoir. Put new fluid in. Turn the wheel all the way to the left and right several times. Then repeat the process 3 or for times until the fluid looks clean.

AquaLady

Original poster
Feb 12, 2014
Thanks for al your help and i'll try it when its a bit warmer because right now it's bleeding outside!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli