Plastic cover on inner tie rod

DIYguy

Original poster
Jun 8, 2024
FL
Hi all
Changing inner and outer tie rods and when I took the boot off I found this plastic cover that seems to be captive on the inner tie rod. It slides in and out about a quarter inch so I think it’s stuck on some dimension of the rack? So I can’t get the tool on the innerIMG_9424.jpeg

Is this plastic cover needed? Maybe I’m just being too gentle by not pushing it back in hard enough?

DIYguy

Original poster
Jun 8, 2024
FL
So I used Delphi (made in Turkey). Partly because I liked that the design had a six sided hex built into the tie rod instead of only 2 flat sides. This allowed me to simply use a crescent wrench to tighten it well instead of the tie rod tool since I could always find an angle for the wrench.

I used a clamp on tool and breaker bar with extension to remove the old one which worked great.

Here are a few other photos.IMG_9431.jpegIMG_9432.jpegIMG_9440.jpeg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just looking and thinking about that plastic cover, I think it's to protect the rubber bellows from rubbing on the tie rods as they move in and out.

Did you use red Loctite on them? My ACDelcos came with it.

Reactions: DIYguy

DIYguy

Original poster
Jun 8, 2024
FL
Yes I think you are correct it must be to prevent an edge from rubbing somewhere. It just threw me as I didn’t see them in any “how to” videos for the Trailblazer. (But I have a 2005 Isuzu Ascender so I’ve seen other small differences occasionally).

I used a “good dab” of blue/medium strength threadlocker on the inner tie rod threads. This one… https://www.harborfreight.com/threadlocker-no-42-10-ml-medium-strength-65192.html

Thanks for checking!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37guru

Members Online