Plastic adhesive recommendations?

christo829

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
So, there I was, getting ready to change one of my low beam bulbs. Prying clips, when one decides
to stick, then pop loose suddenly. When it did, all the other ones I had loosened came free except
the driver's side insert piece that goes across the headlight. :hissyfit:

On the one hand, it didn't just break off, so I'm happy about that, but it did put cracks at the top
and bottom where it flexed, right where the cross piece leaves the main portion of the grille.

My question (and I put it out in case the information might help others) is, what type of adhesive would
you recommend to repair/reinforce the plastic?

Yes, replacing the cross piece is an option if I can find a color match, but I couldn't find much regarding
adhesives for repairing appearance related items, and thought it might be worth getting some opinions.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers-

Chris

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
3m auto adhesive stick tape? Buy it at advanced and all other local vehicle stores.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
That will work. If you are feeling ambitious, try some plastic epoxy. Pretty sure the grill will take to that nicely. I don't remember if it is polypropylene like the bumpers....if that is the case you can use the bumper repair kit the the auto parts stores usually stock.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
:iagree:

Either one of those will work fine. The one for the bumpers though is designed to have a little more give to it than a regular vehicle epoxy (which hardens to a metal like finish).

They're both sandable and paintable when cured.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online