Plasti Dipped Wheels

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
cartman57 said:
Correct, after the 4th coat start removing the tape at an angle away from where it's masked off. It didn't peel any away.

Gotcha...thanks!

I'm going to do the grille on my Mazda6, and there will be a long tape line for how I want it done.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
If you have the same rims I do, no amount of plasti dip with take the fugly away lol. I think the only thing to fix our fugly would be a shotgun :biggrin:

But I'm tempted to try it anyways :shhh:

YOUNG said:
Might as well try it and see what u can come up with :yes:

These bad boys right? I just HATE the shape of them!! :mad: love that there color matched to the truck but other then that...NO lol

IMG_0344.jpg

If i do these, I will prob tape off the lip of the rims orrrrr I am thinking of taping off the lip and those thin 3 spokes so that those are not black but everything is black...idk lol

cartman57

Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
These bad boys right? I just HATE the shape of them!! :mad: love that there color matched to the truck but other then that...NO lol

IMG_0344.jpg

If i do these, I will prob tape off the lip of the rims orrrrr I am thinking of taping off the lip and those thin 3 spokes so that those are not black but everything is black...idk lol

Just doing the larger section might look good, try one and see how it looks.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Wow those look amazing man!! :yes::thumbsup: Nice choice on taping off the lip of the rims!! Gives it a great contrast and looks great man! Nothing like a cheap mod that makes the truck look that much better!

Took the words right outta my mouth, those do look Great Truck is awesome :cool:

Code Red

Dec 11, 2011
Looking good guys, just need some tire shine ;-)

Code Red

Dec 11, 2011
YOUNG said:
my wheels looked bad for a while untill i sprayed tire shine on the wheels and the tires. made it look 100x better.

pics or it didn't happen

btw here are mine after I did them (yes I need some tire shine lol)

IMG_9939.jpg

IMG_9949.jpg

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
TexazReece said:
:undecided: I would like to try this but don't know if I can do this to my high polishes factory wheels.

its a non invasive compound It will leave no residue its essentially canned rubber, far from acidic and far from a paint. I would consider the SS high polished, I messed up and had to peel an entire rim....nothing......Those are clear coated right?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
TexazReece said:
Yes Sir they are

A lil dirty and wet took pic when it was light rain

Pshhh good to go then!.......dip it

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
All this talk about tire shine, but has anyone actually put some on since plasti-dipping their rims??

Interested to see if it affects the plasti-dip any. :undecided:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Seen it recently on dodge ram forum , Megs Hot Fire ate it

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Eff...lol

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Thats the only one I have heard of problems with even the NXT supposedly is safe..Maybe he was an idiot :bonk:I know that 99.9% of wheel cleaners will enjoy strippig your rims. I use megs gold wash if I really want to get them clean other than that water is prefect lol

jballentine

Dec 24, 2011
I did mine today, some parts had pits and curb rash but it covered it up really well. I should have taken a few closer up pics of before and after. I am really happy with the outcome. Now my oldest is thinking of wanting to do it to his car rims.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332402877.394587.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332402877.394587.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 54
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332402887.891185.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332402887.891185.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 4

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Looking good all... have a question thou...

How well is the plastidip going to hold up to a tire tool. For example, Young looks like he needs tires (badly), and with the techs we all see at firestone, dobbs, wal-mart, etc... Will the plastidip hold up to them taking off the old, and putting on the new tires?

I like my polished wheels on my Silver truck.. So not something I plan on doing..

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
I honestly don't think so. I don't think they'd even hold up should you accidentally hit them with a coarse brush if you're brushing your tires or something like that. lol I did the emblems on my Mazda6 last night, stuff feels REALLY soft. I know it's rubber and all, but still...lol

I guess the appeal is still, how cheap and easy the stuff is to use. If this happens, simply peel it all off and do it again. That might get old after the 3rd or 4th time though.

Code Red

Dec 11, 2011
YOUNG said:
i dont see any way possible that it would hold up to a tire tool, it peels off very very easily in my opinion.
if you spray the hose to hard itll come off.. :lipsrsealed:

I've heard plasti dipped wheels hold up fine to pressure sprayers

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Mine are bonded tough before I took my pictures yesterday I used the foam brush and the pressure washer in those drive up car washes still good.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Code Red said:
I've heard plasti dipped wheels hold up fine to pressure sprayers

Those same pressure sprayers at the drive up booths, blew the factory paint right off my grille..

So to everyone else, how would it not blow/chip/peel off in spots hitting it with a pressure washer or brushes as stated earlier? If those sprayers are powerful enough to blow my factory paint off, I think they can go through Plasti Dip just as easily.. sure, one can justify by applying multiple coats, but let's be realistic here... and as stated earlier, its so cheap, when/if it does happen, just respray and be set :thumbsup:

Code Red

Dec 11, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Those same pressure sprayers at the drive up booths, blew the factory paint right off my grille..

So to everyone else, how would it not blow/chip/peel off in spots hitting it with a pressure washer or brushes as stated earlier? If those sprayers are powerful enough to blow my factory paint off, I think they can go through Plasti Dip just as easily.. sure, one can justify by applying multiple coats, but let's be realistic here... and as stated earlier, its so cheap, when/if it does happen, just respray and be set :thumbsup:

the factory paint on my Silverado SS wheel center caps blew off with a pressure sprayer lol

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Boricua SS said:

I'd get real irritated having to be careful around my plasti-dipped parts like that for as long as I had them sprayed. lol

I already have a bad feeling about my emblems. If they don't hold up, I'm going to spray them with that Duplicolor Shadow (black chrome paint).

Code Red

Dec 11, 2011
JosueLT said:
I'd get real irritated having to be careful around my plasti-dipped parts like that for as long as I had them sprayed. lol

I already have a bad feeling about my emblems. If they don't hold up, I'm going to spray them with that Duplicolor Shadow (black chrome paint).

I'll eventually have my hood repainted with actual paint as well as the wheels

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Yea, it's a great product to do some experimenting with for sure. Then step up to something more permanent if you like what you see.

Code Red

Dec 11, 2011
JosueLT said:
Yea, it's a great product to do some experimenting with for sure. Then step up to something more permanent if you like what you see.

bingo

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
JosueLT said:
Unless you would rather buy obx headers :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online