Planning on dipping tomorrow...

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey Everyone,

Im going to be dipping my rims black tomorrow...was thinking something like this...

View attachment 26949

my plan is to dip the whole rim and then razor out the chevy bowtie, has anyone done anything like this? Im worried that it will peel from the center after i cut out the bowtie...

I guess the worst case scenario is to leave the whole rim black and do a full murdered look and black out the emblems and badges too

what does everyone think?

-Rob

View attachment 26950

Attachments

• blackrims.jpg
    blackrims.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 26
  • blackrimstruck.jpg
    blackrimstruck.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 25

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Plasti dip is like any other paint product with the exception of how it comes off... if you don't want the bowties dipped, then simply mask them off.. but..... you have to take the tape off before the dip dries or else you'll start peeling part of the wheel too. ..

That's what I would do...

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
It also might be easier to spray the bow tie, then trace around it with a sharp xacto knife. The stuffs peels up easily enough. If you mess up, peel it off and respray. Only took two and a half cans to do all four of my tires.

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
will be spraying the whole rim and cutting the bowtie out with an xacto knife...should would out pretty well,

ill have pics up tomorrow of the process..

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Anxious to see the pics!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
You should black that bowtie in the front to have them all match!

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
One step ahead of you, did the rear today...the clear coat has to dry for 24 hours before I can wet sand and polish it, I'm going to do the front on Friday when I'm home.

View attachment 27215

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 17

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
Taping things off with the dip can be a pain in the ass, you were probably better off leaving the bowtie black. It took longer to tape and de-tape my wheels than it did to paint them. Plus I still want to touch up a few thin spots. Your truck looks good though.

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
Same here. Already have a nice tip for it, I just need to find the time to do it. Tired of looking at that rusty pos.

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
amweaver47 said:
Same here. Already have a nice tip for it, I just need to find the time to do it. Tired of looking at that rusty pos.

I need a tip, and have been searching for about an hour I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a straight rolled tip.

what size "in" is your tip?

...also in the fall I called a local shop and they wanted $100 just to weld a tip on!!! is this an average quote for one exhaust weld?

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
keepontruckin said:
I need a tip, and have been searching for about an hour I'm not looking for anything fancy, just a straight rolled tip.

what size "in" is your tip?

...also in the fall I called a local shop and they wanted $100 just to weld a tip on!!! is this an average quote for one exhaust weld?

If I remember correctly it is a 2.5" to 3.5" about a foot long. It's a satin black MBRP tip and was about $80 or so when I looked it up last.

$100 seems pretty expensive to weld a couple feet of exhaust and a tip on but I have never had any quotes done. My dad has an exhaust shop that does some of his work for dirt cheap so I will probably have him do mine.

Edit: Here we go http://mbrpautomotive.com/?page=products&part=T5113BLK

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I got the wet sanding done this morning, here are the pics...

its not perfect but its good enough for me, I don't want to end up sanding through the clear coat.

View attachment 27236

Attachments

• before and after.jpg
    before and after.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 14

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online