pigtail or connecter repair

dla442

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
I have an 05 TB and am looking for advice on repairing a pigtail. The wire connector goes into the liftgate lock mechanism and is a four wire. The dealer and suppliers only sell this part #13584433 with no wires. I would have to take out the original wires and place them into the new plug. How do these come out without destroying them? Can new wire ends be purchased and soldered back on they they would be a new fit into the new plug? The whole problem is the tab that secures it to the lock snapped off and in time it will vibrate out and cause problems. Looking for advice on the wire end if they can be purchsed or if the old ends can be removed from the damaged plug and inserted into the new plug without damaging them.

thank you

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
dla442 said:
I have an 05 TB and am looking for advice on repairing a pigtail. The wire connector goes into the liftgate lock mechanism and is a four wire. The dealer and suppliers only sell this part #13584433 with no wires. I would have to take out the original wires and place them into the new plug. How do these come out without destroying them? Can new wire ends be purchased and soldered back on they they would be a new fit into the new plug? The whole problem is the tab that secures it to the lock snapped off and in time it will vibrate out and cause problems. Looking for advice on the wire end if they can be purchsed or if the old ends can be removed from the damaged plug and inserted into the new plug without damaging them.

thank you

An easier fix might be a u-wrench-it type junkyard. Cut the old one off, splice the new one in. No muss, no fuss.

Sorry I cannot answer your specific question though, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to do that :smile:

dla442

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
DDonnie said:
An easier fix might be a u-wrench-it type junkyard. Cut the old one off, splice the new one in. No muss, no fuss.

Sorry I cannot answer your specific question though, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to do that :smile:

I thought of that but nobody has what i am looking for at the salvage yards and I'm a bit of a stickler for doing the proper fix..i see terminal removers online so getting an idea but looking for if anybody has done this

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
dla442 said:

thank you

A lot of the plugs have a little tab on each connector that locks it into place in the plug. I've used a pin to bend the retaining tab a bit to release it, then bend it back out before inserting in the replacement plug.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I can't find much on the part number you listed but alldatadiy.com has it called out as 15354716.

Unfortunately these are "pull-to-seat" terminals meaning they come out the front of the connector, not the back. You could essentially make your own pigtail by cutting off the connector a few inches down, removing the terminal/wire tails, install them in the new connector and solder it back to the harness.

I believe PT2606 is the pigtail you're looking for but these tend to be obnoxiously overpriced.

Personally, I'd find some other way to secure the connector and call it a day.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
AtlWrk said:
Personally, I'd find some other way to secure the connector and call it a day.

Not sure how this connector is laid out, but I bet you could get a zip tie around enough of it to keep it in place.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online