Pcmforless Avantages

Arock

Dec 8, 2011
asautt said:
Just picked up an 09 TB. Primarily a daily driver for my wife. She was rather insistant that she get a vehicle capable of towing my boat (GTW +/- 3000). Although she didn't come out and say it, I think her ultimate plan is for me to inherit the TB when I retire, sell my Dakota, and give her free rein on a new car. :wink:

Anyhow, can you get a tune that is good for both daily driver milage and towing? It seems like shift points and other tune items would be quite different for those two uses. :undecided:

What effect , if any, would a tune have on Traction Control and Stabilitrac?

Alan

From my experience you will notice a huge difference with both, in a good way. Daily driving = crisp throttle response, shifts where it’s supposed to. If you keep your foot out of the throttle it will get better MPG. Towing = I can’t imagine using my TB w/the 4.2L to tow without it. I make a run to Lake McConaughy at least twice a year (approx. 500mi round trip) pulling a 3000lb trailer. No BS, after the first two trips in my TB, I was about to ditch the TB and buy a new truck. It made a WORLD of difference. As far as the Traction Control I have not noticed any problems.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Ok what does the PCM tune do for the 5.3liter v8? It doesn't suffer from many of the afflictions as the 4.2 does right out of the gate. The shifts are where I want them, etc. I have two 07's with the 5.3 and used to have an 04 with the 5.3 as well. The only thing I can point to is where it seems to be managing the torque a second or two after you initially punch it.

snowyredenvoy

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Does it matter if you do the tune before or after, If I was going to get a Flowmaster 50 series? I am convinced lol

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
The main reason I got the tune was to correct my speedo. The small improvement in mpg was just a bonus

This is the only thing stopping me from getting a tune, if it was possible to update the speedo on an 02, I would be more than happy to get a tune for it.

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
give them a call or talk to marshall here they will help you all the way tru!:thumbsup:

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
plaen said:
This is the only thing stopping me from getting a tune, if it was possible to update the speedo on an 02, I would be more than happy to get a tune for it.

I dont think they can adjust the speedo on the early trucks. I think its 05+ that they can adjust

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Me007gold said:
I dont think they can adjust the speedo on the early trucks. I think its 05+ that they can adjust

I thought it was the 06+ that they can adjust the speedo. :confused:

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
I thought it was the 06+ that they can adjust the speedo. :confused:

Yep, only 06+, for me that's the deal breaker. Although, I am considering spending some of my off-road budget on one for my 07.

marshall@pcm

Dec 6, 2011
Jkust said:
Ok what does the PCM tune do for the 5.3liter v8? It doesn't suffer from many of the afflictions as the 4.2 does right out of the gate. The shifts are where I want them, etc. I have two 07's with the 5.3 and used to have an 04 with the 5.3 as well. The only thing I can point to is where it seems to be managing the torque a second or two after you initially punch it.

We probably pick up 5 hp more on the 5.3s versus the 4.2s... 15-20 versus 10-15.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
marshall@pcm said:
We probably pick up 5 hp more on the 5.3s versus the 4.2s... 15-20 versus 10-15.

20 hp from the tune, that's a huge number. How about torque increase numbers on the 5.3? HP is nice but Torque is why I have all v8's.

Can you also tune Multi Port Injected Chevy/Mercruiser/Volvo boat engines? (3.0L, 4.3, 5.0, 5.7, 6.2) Boat guys would literally kill for 20hp increases which equates to a max of 2mph more at wot. Obviously the dynamics of marine engines are a lot different but wanted to ask.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
marshall@pcm said:
Nah, I'm not sure what computer system the boats have... but I don't think it's GM stuff. :sadcry:

Yep GM block and Mercruiser or Volvo everything else.

bigredtank

Nov 21, 2011
level 3 shifts with servo and all that other tranny stuff done. spin on dry pavement sometimes. wet pavement..... spins BAD! especially at shifts. almost hit a tree the other day when it was drizzling outside. scary =( but yes pcmforless is a sweet bang for your buck for sure!

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
eh so i'm late on the reply here but yeh Throttle response and gear shifting (no more slipping gears when shifting!)

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Initially, the increased low end torque and better shifting were most noticeable. For some reason, over time, and especially after the battery was disconnected after installing audio equipment, the low end increase is not as noticeable as the top end increases. It screams like a bat at of hell when I floor it to pass others on the highway.

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
And if you are still not convinced with all this replies and testimonies i dont know! But we are all happy with our tunes 100% so go ahead and get er done!!!

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
This is something that I am really thinking about doing. Sounds like it is all benefits and no negativeshttp://gmtnation.com/images/smilies/woot.gif

snowyredenvoy

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
You think there is a thread on TV about a Homemade Intake? What do I have to look out for when making one? Thanks

07Blazerman

Dec 4, 2011
Just got my reflash from ups. All I have to say is..........Here is where a smile would be but for some reason its not working again.

snowyredenvoy

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Good Intake Homemade thread thank you!

revamp

Dec 22, 2011
Mansfield, TX
I just got my shipping notification of my PCM from them, will be here the 28th. I took advantage of the loaner program since my truck is a daily driver. After the process of the security learn on the loaner (which was stupid easy) I was up and running. I am anxious to get my new PCM in the truck and see what happens.

I selected the #2 shft option. I read the #3 was just too much or more appropriate for those who really want the race vibe performance. I just wanted a healthy improvement.

I also have a MarkMC lift, spacers, and bigger tires, so I only expect to get closely back to where I was on MPGs.

I will let you all know when I get my PCM installed!

Oh, and just to throw it out there, very impressed with the laid back but punctual order process. They also answered all of my questions throughout an all day email correspondence. Great people!

revamp

Dec 22, 2011
Mansfield, TX
Just changed into some warm clothes so I can put in the new PCM tonight. Updates to come.

On a side note, I was always frustrated with how to videos and pictures taken when it was dark outside... But I really get it now, as it's dark out, after a long day at work, here I am about to do work on the truck.

Love it!

revamp

Dec 22, 2011
Mansfield, TX
Just put it in. Didnt even need to do a security relearn. Started right up. At first drive it seemed to open up a little faster, I couldn't tell if the shifting was any different, but when I get to the freeway and my almost hour commute tomorrow I will see what I get. I am almost ready to fill up again and will get 89 (instead of 87) which I had it tuned for.

I will give more of an update after tomorrow.

Cheers!

revamp

Dec 22, 2011
Mansfield, TX
My commute to work today was about 45-minutes, very little traffic, and almost all highway.

Off the line, standard acceleration, it definitely opens up faster, meaning with little effort it accelerates at the rate I would expect out of a newer vehicle, instead of the sluggish start it used to give me. I remember having to lay into the pedal a bit to accomplish the same outcome - a noticeable difference. The same with cruising speeds. I just felt like I didn't have to do as much to accomplish the same outcome on hills, and especially passing.

The shifting. I selected Option #2. This is noticeable. Where before, if felt like the truck was taking a breath before it reacted to my action while accelerating, now it just changes! Funny thing is, it feels "normal" now, or as it should have been. I can imagine #3 would be slightly more responsive, maybe more appropriate for those folks wanting a more sporty response. The #2 seems to give me a very contemporary response, the feel of more performance, which I like.

Now, I have bigger tires, 265/70R17, and after I had them put on, with the lift and new shocks, I could tell the truck was working harder to get up and go. With the PCMforless tune it responds better and feels better.

I have not driven with it long enough to notice an MPG change. I will say, that still running 87 octane, the LCD read-out on the dash registered about 1.5 MPG better. Every few days I reset the AVG MPG reading for general info for me, regardless of how accurate it may be. I was running about 16.1 pretty steady for a while, and after my drive to work it settled around 17.7. Not bad! When I refill with 89 octane and burn through that tank I will work on getting a more accurate judge on the change.

Until then, I will say I am pleased with the MOD and encourage this to anyone who can afford to do it. If you use your truck as a daily driver, go for the Loaner program. This allows you to keep driving during the swap process.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Guenther

Dec 7, 2011
I sent my PCM off yesterday and selected 1 for shift firmness but wondering if I should have chosen 2. I want to make sure it shifts nice and smooth without being harsh or jerky. I'm interested in hearing what people like revamp have to say about the firmness you chose and how you like it. I've e-mailed Kelly a few times while they have been out of the office between Christmas and now and she has been responsive, pleasant and knowledgeable. That is a winning combination for customer service! I can't wait to get my PCM back.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I got the 2 firmness and I think I should have gone with 3. It's a little firmer than stock but not overly so. I don't know why they even list the 2 since nobody goes for it. You can still get the 2 by emailing them.

Guenther

Dec 7, 2011
You could select 0 if you wanted on the web form. I thought about doing this first and went with 1 because I read a few reviews were people thought 2 was to jerky under daily driving conditions. I'm also going to call Kelly on Tuesday and ask about towing. I tow a couple snowmobiles every once in a while but they and trailer weigh less than 1500lbs. Kelly suggested I go with no towing since I don't do it all the time but I read on the OS that a couple people felt shift firmness 2 was very sloppy between 1st and 2nd gears with stock servo (my Voy is all stock) and all torque management removed. I want to find out if by default they take out 50% TM when you select no towing or all of the TM.

drwfaulk

Jan 5, 2012
so has anyone tried the Supermodulation Ported Throttle Body with the tune:undecided:

07Blazerman

Dec 4, 2011
revamp said:
They say you'll shoot your eye out with that thing!

The what? Who makes this thing? Benefits?

James on 355Nation.com, aka Supermodulation, he also makes the Supersparkz.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86