PCM4LESS Tune Ordersheet HELP

Yacdogg

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I am ordering a tuned pcm soon (hopefully tomorrow or tuesday) anyways. not sure how to fill out order sheet. First off, I have the I6 and I have a cat-back exhaust. everything else stock, I do not tow at all (may once every year or two under 1500 lbs, probably under 1000 even). I plan on leaving everything else stock (I may get e-fan down the road sometime) I want to stay with 87 octane. would like mileage and performance gain. OK...

1. Shift firmness what should I choose ?
2. Speed Limiter (off for sure, correct ?)
3. Rev Limiter ?
4. Disable displacement on demand ?
5. Disired idle ?
6. Trouble codes (remove any ? [VATS, EGR, AIR, A/C, EVAP, Catalytic Convertors])

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I will try to walk you through this, as I am a satisfied PCM4Less customer. The real answers should be provided by alvin or "marshall" via pcm4less.com

I'm sure at this point you have name, address, vin, engine selections correct, I never put in a broadcast code because I sent them my PCM, gear ratio correct, etc (the first 3 pages of the order sheet) On page 3 make sure you correct for tire size difference (ex. im running 255/70/16) Shift firmness is your choice, firmness 3 is what I went with, it will chirp on full throttle 2nd gear shifts. It will put your head back. If you like that, then get it! Firmness 2 would be a logical choice to increase drivability and have a sporty feeling. Firmness 1 is just cleaner shifts from what i've been told, not much of a sporty feeling. Page 4 has your octane selection, I chose 93 since it's easy to find around here. A lot of people choose 91 since thats a more common "premium fuel" If gas prices are high enough for you, choose 87. On this 4.2L they can only advance timing so much, so unless you're trying to squeeze every HP out of the motor, the 87 would be fine. There have been times where someone else put 87 in my tank on a 93 tune, It really did not affect anything. I noticed some power loss at high RPM, but other than that no difference. I would recommend choosing the octane to what you think you will use most. On page 5 you have rev limiter (no reason to change this from stock) idle (factory idle is best for fuel efficiency, i guess if you didn't care about gas usage you could increase idle and it would warm up faster in the winter, I don't have that kind of spare cash). Then elevation (go here to find it from your home computer What is my elevation?). Towing has some different changes they make, mostly if NOT towing at all they will remove all torque managment. With some towing they may set torque management to decrease at 2500 rpm, or all the way up to 5k rpm. Basically I wish I said "no towing", but occasionally I do tow heavy things and am glad there is a little torque managment at lower RPM's. If you tow more than 10 times a year I would say the avg weight of what you tow in the box, if you tow less than 10 times a year I would leave the box at Zero or "No". Also- Dont worry about removing any codes, you want them all to be normal and work. Displacement on demand was only offered on the 5.3V8, and I would want that on since it helps MPG. On to Page 6 - Mass air flow is stock, If you have a CAI you should list what kind, there is an option for "other" if you care to describe your homebrew if you have one. I chose other and listed the ChromeIntakesCAI with a K&N filter. It is the same the K&N kit just without the heat shield. If you have no aftermarket air filter I would put "drop in" in the box (this means you have an aftermarket air filter designed to work with the factory air box and is the same size as OEM, just more free flowing) And actually purchase one, they do help if you buy a good one. Then you have catalytic converters, This is a tricky one since the common replacement for bad cats is the magnaflow one on rockauto. I don't think these count as "high flow" so I would put stock, or if you removed your catalytic converter I would put none. To my knowledge they don't make a bolt on high flow cat for our trucks so... onto catback. Catback is your exhaust from the catalytic converter back. If you have made modifications let them know. I believe they DO read your comments on the order sheet so feel free to tell them what you have, how you want it, and describe the results you want. They will do their best to interpret it, and provide the results you want. I can't speak for PCM4Less, but I would think if you ordered a tune, installed it, and didn't like something about it, they would be more than willing to adjust the tune for free. (obviously within a reasonable amount of time from the initial tune). Either way, it's only $50 for a re-tune so not that much would be lost. Just trust that PCM4Less will assure your happiness. I did and I am happy. :thumbsup:

Yacdogg

Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Quick ? also, if I have it tuned for stock tire size 245/65-17 if I were to get 255/65-17 or 265/65-17 how much would it affect it ? also what tire size does everyone have (recommend) on there stock 17's ? Also, if a size is recommended if I have tuned for stock and get size later, how much would it affect it. I have 4WD by the way.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
4WD doesnt matter for speedometer corrections via tire size. Larger tires will change the speedometer very little when changing one size, maybe 1-2 MPH, depending on the individual tire you buy. If you get spacers, lifts, etc... it will change much more. If you need tires, and want to go up a size, research on this site to see what will fit and just have the tune done for that size. I would, if I planned on buying tires in the next 3 months.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
Just to add a little bit for future readers who come across this thread - Kelly from PCM4 answered a ton of questions from me over the span of 5 or 6 emails, and always did so the same day. That aspect of their customer service was stellar IMHO. My PCM is due to arrive in the next day or two, so it's too early for me to speak about any other aspect, but if you just contact them they are very good at communicating back to you.

newfie6719

Sep 27, 2012
my pcm should be here today or tomorow all stock so will let u know how it works out shift 1 firmness

marshall@pcm

Dec 6, 2011
Yacdogg said:
I am ordering a tuned pcm soon (hopefully tomorrow or tuesday) anyways. not sure how to fill out order sheet. First off, I have the I6 and I have a cat-back exhaust. everything else stock, I do not tow at all (may once every year or two under 1500 lbs, probably under 1000 even). I plan on leaving everything else stock (I may get e-fan down the road sometime) I want to stay with 87 octane. would like mileage and performance gain. OK...

1. Shift firmness what should I choose ?
2. Speed Limiter (off for sure, correct ?)
3. Rev Limiter ?
4. Disable displacement on demand ?
5. Disired idle ?
6. Trouble codes (remove any ? [VATS, EGR, AIR, A/C, EVAP, Catalytic Convertors])

1. Most people go with 2, but it's up to you really. If you like the way it shifts stock, leave it at 0, or maybe 1.
2. Might as well
3. Don't worry about it
4. N/A
5. N/A
6. N/A

gboos

Jul 22, 2012
Yacdogg said:
Quick ? also, if I have it tuned for stock tire size 245/65-17 if I were to get 255/65-17 or 265/65-17 how much would it affect it ? also what tire size does everyone have (recommend) on there stock 17's ? Also, if a size is recommended if I have tuned for stock and get size later, how much would it affect it. I have 4WD by the way.

Just go here and you will see the differences ..... Tire size calculator

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
newfie6719 said:
my pcm should be here today or tomorow all stock so will let u know how it works out shift 1 firmness

Mine cleared customs tonite at 6pm...seller from OS made some pretty impressive claims about the way it worked for him on his EXT TB - if that holds true for me this will pay for itself in a month - getting anxious :smile:

Oh, and I went with shift 2 - based on all my questions to Kelly I was leaning a bit more to 1 myself - but I'll try 2 and see, so I'll update here when I know.

newfie6719

Sep 27, 2012
got my pcm yesterday with shift 1 havn't done much testing but 1's not much above stock shift that i can feel but the shift do feel a lot better then stock.

WarGawd

Sep 2, 2012
Mine arrived today - I had been planning on getting the t-stat and CTS changed before installing the new PCM, so I can evalaute gas mileage changes due to each seperately. My mileage seems to be getting worse now as the weather cools off and it's running cool a bit more often. And with the new X27-168 steppers installed, I really am pretty sure it's a temp issue and not a stepper/gauge issue. I guess t-stat/CTS are next on my list...LOL does the day ever arrive when you actually get to feel caught up on all the maintenance and repairs??

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online