PCM tune case relearn question..

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Mat got me the PCM tune, and we installed it today. He did the security relearn and everything went okay. Now we haven't done the case relearn yet, but we noticed that our SES light is not on when it is supposed to be on due to the lack of the case relearn. Why would this be?

It says on the paper that we got from PCMforless...

The check engine light is disabled on the loaner PCM so that it will not illuminate.

But we did not get a loaner, we got the core, so the light shouldn't have been disabled. If the light was not disabled, we should have the SES light on, but we don't. Why would this be? And should we still get the case relearn done?

Hope this makes sense?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
It may take a few drive cycles for the light to come on. I don't think it's instant. According to the PCM For Less website you need a case done.

Available Tuning Programs

Yeah we did the security relearn, we had to or the truck wouldn't have started lol. We will take it in for the case, it is only going to cost us $35 at our Mechanics shop compared to the $85 at the stealership.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
Yeah we did the security relearn, we had to or the truck wouldn't have started lol. We will take it in for the case, it is only going to cost us $35 at our Mechanics shop compared to the $85 at the stealership.

Call PCM For Less and see if they will send you a Dashhawk loaner. If your nice they might let you borrow it for a song since you are already their customer.:biggrin:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Call PCM For Less and see if they will send you a Dashhawk loaner. If your nice they might let you borrow it for a song since you are already their customer.:biggrin:

Wont work on an 03.

DashHawks can only do the CASE on CAN-based PCM/ECMs. Aka 06+.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:

What does that do?:undecided:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Wont work on an 03.

DashHawks can only do the CASE on CAN-based PCM/ECMs. Aka 06+.

Bummer. Forgot about that. Thanks for clearing that up though.

Voymom said:
What does that do?:undecided:

Never mind Voymom. It's a scan tool device made by MSD with lcd readout. But it won't work.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
My first tune was from Westers in Alberta. This was well before PCM4Less came on the scene. I vaguely recall Westers didn't promote the urgent need to get a CASE relearn done. I know I drove several months before finding a shop with the equipment to do it. Plus no CEL. Also no noticeable before/after performance difference.

My understanding of CASE relearn it is a correction between actual top dead center and what's detected by the engine's electronics. It's important for emission purposes. The engine's electronics detects misfires by looking at cyclic variations in rotation when a misfire occurs and needs an accurate top dead center as reference. Misfires causes unburnt fuel which have a gross affect on emissions. Any case this is my understanding and may be 10 ways from Sunday wrong!

After it's done a value is stored in the PCM related to your vehicle. That's why having your own PCM tuned it's returned with that same value stored and you won't need a new CASE relearn. Any other PCM not from your vehicle will have a difference value related to the vehicle it came from.

BTW this isn't intended to discourage getting it done. $35 is fair. It takes less than 5 mins. The shop where I went didn't want to charge anything but I gave him $20. It took longer to find the right programming screen on his scannner than to actually do the procedure.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, my SES light came on immediately upon starting the truck up when i installed mine... did the relearn.. all was fine... just dont beat on it until you get it done...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I went months before doing the case relearn.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Boricua SS said:
just dont beat on it until you get it done...

Oops :biggrin:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Voymom said:

:rotfl:

im sure its ok.. just through my readings through the years, majority opinion was to get the relearn done asap... i took mine the same day i installed my new computers.. others a few weeks, others a few months... i just didnt want my light on the dash on lol..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.