painting side skirts

CodeWhite

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
What kind of spray can I use to get a match with the white vehicle paint on the black side skirts?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
CodeWhite said:
What kind of spray can I use to get a match with the white vehicle paint on the black side skirts?

If you open your glove box, you will see a data plate attached inside. On the data plate, it will list your paint code.

Once you have your paint code, head over to www.automotivetouchup.com. They will mix your paint based on the code you provide. You can get your paint in spray cans as well. They also sell adhesion promoter (recommend if painting plastic), primer, amd clear coat.

I have used their paint in the past and color matching is spot on. I was skeptical since my paint is metallic, but after color matching my mirror covers recently, it is a perfect match.

Your looking at $19.99 for a spray can and 5-8 business days for delivery since they mix the paint after it is ordered. You will definitely get a better color match than anything you could pickup at Autozone or Advanced Auto, especially if you have metallic paint IMO.

CodeWhite

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
dmanns67 said:
If you open your glove box, you will see a data plate attached inside. On the data plate, it will list your paint code.

Once you have your paint code, head over to Touch Up Paint and Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup. They will mix your paint based on the code you provide. You can get your paint in spray cans as well. They also sell adhesion promoter (recommend if painting plastic), primer, amd clear coat.

I have used their paint in the past and color matching is spot on. I was skeptical since my paint is metallic, but after color matching my mirror covers recently, it is a perfect match.

Your looking at $19.99 for a spray can and 5-8 business days for delivery since they mix the paint after it is ordered. You will definitely get a better color match than anything you could pickup at Autozone or Advanced Auto, especially if you have metallic paint IMO.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
dmanns67 said:

Once you have your paint code, head over to Touch Up Paint and Accessories | AutomotiveTouchup. They will mix your paint based on the code you provide. You can get your paint in spray cans as well. They also sell adhesion promoter (recommend if painting plastic), primer, amd clear coat.

:iagree::tiphat:
He is the member that steered me towards that site, awesome products~

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
Just do this!
y6umysa8.jpg

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
CodeWhite said:

I used the duplicolor rattle cans from autozone and the color is a little off. I think it's more from the texture and inferior clearcoat than the color itself. It's still a MAJOR improvement over the stock gray plastic and I'm extremely happy with how well it has held up.

Attachments

• IMG_20130521_190001_920.jpg
    IMG_20130521_190001_920.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 29

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
AtlWrk said:
I used the duplicolor rattle cans from autozone and the color is a little off. I think it's more from the texture and inferior clearcoat than the color itself. It's still a MAJOR improvement over the stock gray plastic and I'm extremely happy with how well it has held up.

Did you happen to sand them smooth first and also use a sandable primer prior to spraying your base coat?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Did you happen to sand them smooth first and also use a sandable primer prior to spraying your base coat?

I did sand them but not perfectly smooth. I used the duplicolor adhesion promoter prior to the basecoats.

I did this almost 4 years ago but I don't remember it being more than 2 cans for base. I should've done more clear coat but I have had absolutely no issue whatsoever with the paint chipping or flaking.

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
dmanns67 said:

Once you have your paint code, head over to www.automotivetouchup.com. They will mix your paint based on the code you provide. You can get your paint in spray cans as well. They also sell adhesion promoter (recommend if painting plastic), primer, amd clear coat.

Ok guys I feel like an idiot. I look at the data plate and I can find any numbers that match the sites...Dr color chip,automotivetouchup, ect...

Am I just blind ?

Someone tagged my envoy last night with a freakin cart at the grocery store. Scratches and red scuffs from the plastic bumpers I'm guessing. They go from the back panel all the way to the passenger front door.

Any ideas ?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Inert_Static said:
Ok guys I feel like an idiot. I look at the data plate and I can find any numbers that match the sites...Dr color chip,automotivetouchup, ect...

Am I just blind ?

Someone tagged my envoy last night with a freakin cart at the grocery store. Scratches and red scuffs from the plastic bumpers I'm guessing. They go from the back panel all the way to the passenger front door.

Any ideas ?

What are the color codes on your sticker? You should have 2 of them

GMPaintCodeSticker_zpsbc9516e3.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Inert_Static said:
U213M and. 48H

That's what I don't get... It's wired

You didn't put your truck's color in your vehicle profile, but I'm gonna guess yours is a dark grey color with the metallic flakes? :yes:

Have a look at the 2nd item on this list. I also highly recommend AutomotiveTouchup :twocents:

2008 GMC Envoy Colors of Touch Up Paint

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Inert_Static said:
Awesome. Thank you guys.

Would you use the primer on scuffs as well ?

Definitely wanna use some type of primer or adhesion promoter. Their paint isn't formulated for plastic, so you may or may not develop some flaking or peeling without it.

Inert_Static

Jun 22, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Definitely wanna use some type of primer or adhesion promoter. Their paint isn't formulated for plastic, so you may or may not develop some flaking or peeling without it.

I mean the scuffs on the clear coat on my body panels. Would I lay a little primer on that ?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If it's just the clear coat that's lightly scratched, then you can probably just buff that out. There are youtube videos that show you how.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Someone just posted a thread about scratch removal. My recommendations are the same for you as what I posted there.

scratch-repair
http://gmtnation.com/showthread.php?t=8676

Also if there is red paint on top of your paint that's actually a good thing given the situation. That means paint transfer which will just buff off with a polisher. Hopefully there aren't deeper scratches underneath. Only put primer if it's scratched down to the metal. Only put basecoat if it's scratched down to the primer. Only put clear if it's scratched almost or all the way down to the basecoat. If it's just a scratch in the clear then compound it out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online