Paint Rims Before New Tires or After

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Title Says it all. Should I or Should I not Paint Rims Before New Tires or After.

Discuss

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
What do you mean paint, Like do it in your garage If thats the case do it after tires. If your getting a professional powder coat do it anytime keep your receipts so you can claim damage on the tire shop if something were to happen. Good amount of guys on TBSSowners got there PC jacked up from bad tire shop employees.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Definately after the new tread is put on. They will most likely scratch when mounting.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Just a Rattle Can job. I was thinking on doing it after new rubber is mounted due to the paint chipping... Now I deffinitly will.

Suggestions on what kind of Rattle can Paint? Going black. Paint and Primer then clear or just paint then clear?

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
you could do just paint and clear. would suggest if using primer, find some self etching primer.
also when mounting tires, balance w/ weights on inside only. :twocents:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ahh...going for the spare tire look. If thats what you want, then definitely do it after. As said, have them only use the stick-on inside weight and none on the wheel face.

FYI- there is a kit for about 15 bucks that is supposed to tint your wheels for a black chrome kinda look. Comes with a clear coat. Might be something different.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
Cable810 said:
Just a Rattle Can job. I was thinking on doing it after new rubber is mounted due to the paint chipping... Now I deffinitly will.

Suggestions on what kind of Rattle can Paint? Going black. Paint and Primer then clear or just paint then clear?

Scuff, degrease, degrease, degrease, prime, paint.

Be careful - some degreasers might hurt the rubber. The best paint in the world won't last if you have terrible prep. The self-etching primer is a good idea. If you can get the wheels blasted prior to painting, you'll get better adhesion. Sand blast, don't bead blast. The bead blasted surface is smoother, which is less desirable for a painted finish.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Ahh...going for the spare tire look. If thats what you want, then definitely do it after. As said, have them only use the stick-on inside weight and none on the wheel face.

FYI- there is a kit for about 15 bucks that is supposed to tint your wheels for a black chrome kinda look. Comes with a clear coat. Might be something different.
I think the kit is for Chrome wheels not aluminium... or our our stock rims alloy? Dupli Color Shadow. Thats what your talking about?

strat81 said:
Scuff, degrease, degrease, degrease, prime, paint.

Be careful - some degreasers might hurt the rubber. The best paint in the world won't last if you have terrible prep. The self-etching primer is a good idea. If you can get the wheels blasted prior to painting, you'll get better adhesion. Sand blast, don't bead blast. The bead blasted surface is smoother, which is less desirable for a painted finish.

Wire brush the wheels, Goof Off the wheels a few times wash them a few times then Goof Off then wash again..... I don't, well I do have acess to a sand blaster just don't know how to use it and if it even works. Plus with the tires being on the rims I don't wanna damage the tires.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It may be. I just saw it when I was picking up some oil.

corky

Jan 23, 2012
Portland OR
Cable810 said:
I think the kit is for Chrome wheels not aluminium... or our our stock rims alloy? Dupli Color Shadow. Thats what your talking about?

Wire brush the wheels, Goof Off the wheels a few times wash them a few times then Goof Off then wash again..... I don't, well I do have acess to a sand blaster just don't know how to use it and if it even works. Plus with the tires being on the rims I don't wanna damage the tires.

Sandblasting won't hurt the tires as long as you're not using a big industrial model. We use rubber all the time to protect areas that we don't want blasted allthoug the key is try not to blast the tires and stay inside the rims. You can see your blast pattern and go accordingly

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online