P0442 and tick tick tick

Daniel_832029

Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Hey, I have read the junk out of your stuff on the old site, and ur responses are one of the reasons Ive joined, but was sent a message today that all of you are here now, and Im glad Ive found you (you wont be!) any ways, can I please ask you 2 or 3 ?'s First, I have an 04 TB I6 4x4 LS with 170,000 miles. Love this thing but shes giving me a headache with 2 things. 1 is the P0442 code. the other is the tick,tick,tick noise from the clutch fan. Easiest first. From what Ive read, the tick,tick,tick noise is normal. a mechanic told me my fan clutch was going bad and needed to replace it, so i did this past mon. wed afternoon, tick tick tick again???? Is that ok or not? . 2. I have the P0442 code, I had the dreaded manifold crack of death. I replaced the manifold with aftermarket that is thicker and better built(they said)than OEM. Well Im young and impatient and broke 3 bolts, but finished the job,well the truck had never been so quite! I was happy,happy,happy. Well a week and a half later, of coarse it got loud, so I took it to my mechanic from church and he drilled out and fixed everything, but when I got it back it still wasn't as quite as it was when i fixed it. I drove it for about 2 weeks and sis light came on. P0442. took truck back to mechanic and ask him to fix his brazing job around c converter(had it replaced too during manifold fix he did). he had to braze it cause his welder broke and there was a bad leak around the braze. well he brazed some more but still didnt completly have it sealed. drove it for 2 months with this not real loud, but still louder than it should be, so i broke down and took it to a muffler shop. he said P0442 could be exhaust leak(true or false) so he welded the pipes good, checked muffler, busted on top???? he showed it to me, replaced muffler, checked resignator(sp?) and had a chunk of something in it, said it was part of old c converter that had broke and prob what tore up muffler and is now resting in the resignater pipe. said wont hurt anything.(t or f) anyways, reset the computer on the truck yesterday when he got done and light came back on this morning after it ran for 10min. P0442. The truck still isn't as quite as it was that day i fixed it,sounds like its coming from the manifold. so should i try to retighten bolts to 18# in correct sequance or should I try another seafoam test before i do the manifold bolts, I did 1 last week but so much smoke was coming from the braze job and it was windy, I couldnt tell if it was leaking around manifold gasket. Sorry this was so long but your help is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance, Daniel

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Hate to break it to you, P0442 has nothing to do with the manifold...its the "EVAP System Small Leak Deteced" code. Ive had it for a while on my 02 and just havent bothered to get it fixed, I think this summer Ill do it because the light's getting annoying.

Daniel_832029

Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
ScarabEpic22 said:
Hate to break it to you, P0442 has nothing to do with the manifold...its the "EVAP System Small Leak Deteced" code. Ive had it for a while on my 02 and just havent bothered to get it fixed, I think this summer Ill do it because the light's getting annoying.

Thanks Scarab. Ya, I know its supposed to be emmisions, but have read in a few places it could be manifold. Just trying to figure it out. I went to Oreilys just now and bought a gas cap cause the old one wouldn't click anymore. Hopefully that will do it, I reset sis again and should know tomorrow if thats what it was, but could still use info on the manifold noise and tick,tick,tick.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Was the new clutch aftermarket or OEM? I know there were a few different versions also, along with some software updates on the PCM for the fan control.

Daniel_832029

Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Sparky said:
Was the new clutch aftermarket or OEM? I know there were a few different versions also, along with some software updates on the PCM for the fan control.

I was gonna ask that next. Its aftermarket. Don't have the box in front of me and don't remember what kind it was, but will let you know when I go back over to my garage. But what i was gonna ask is, I read on here in several places about a pcm relearn from the dealer, and I also read that it should relearn itself after 5 drive cycles? T or F? Please let me know what needs to be done, and if it is dealership bound, how much does that usually run for the relearn? I had the jet noise (knew it was com'n)for 2 days and seemed it was pulling the engine down(lack of power), but now it SEEMS back to normal (if there is such a thing)except early in the morn'n. After it warms, it quits( My dads 98 GMC Jimmy does the same thing). But its still loud too, but doesn't change after its warmed up. Thanks guys, keep it com'n!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not entirely sure. My truck still has the original clutch as far as I can tell, but the computer has had all the software patches for it according to the service history. On occasion it'll be a jet at first startup for a short while, but that isn't really abnormal if the clutch is in a particular position when shut down (the viscous goo can all run into the one chamber inside, making it lock full blast until it is started up and pushed back into the other chamber, or something like that). I really don't know what those PCM upgrades cost at the dealer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it would be money much better spent with a PCM4L tune. You'll get all those latest updates along with a better overall tune.

Daniel_832029

Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Sparky said:
Not entirely sure. My truck still has the original clutch as far as I can tell, but the computer has had all the software patches for it according to the service history. On occasion it'll be a jet at first startup for a short while, but that isn't really abnormal if the clutch is in a particular position when shut down (the viscous goo can all run into the one chamber inside, making it lock full blast until it is started up and pushed back into the other chamber, or something like that). I really don't know what those PCM upgrades cost at the dealer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it would be money much better spent with a PCM4L tune. You'll get all those latest updates along with a better overall tune.

I read about all that science in them fans...sheww..you'd think it would just be a fan, not operate the starship Enterprise. Ive given it all shes got. I would love to get that pcm ur talkn about, but i gotta wait till my tree out back produces some more green(not hold'n my breath). But i read, I thought, that I would have to get 1 of the 07 or above fans for the non clicking version. But don't know for sure, jus wait'n on the right person to read this and have pity on me and buy me a new TB or say "hey dummy, heres what you gotta do :poke:"

Daniel_832029

Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Well, Its not the gas cap :frown: . So on down the list I go. What would you all check next?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Have you checked the filler neck? I know some had issues with cracked necks. Other than that you need to check the hoses in the EVAP system or have someone who knows what they are doing to perform a leak test on the hoses.

I would check the neck first.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah take a peek under there and look. I replaced my cap because of an evap code and a cracked O ring on the cap, but that didn't fix it. Then it started leaking gas all over when filling the tank :crazy: The original neck on mine rusted right where it connected to the rubber hose (which was kinked btw and made it hard to fill). Got a used neck and hose from ebay, stuck it on there, and voila, no more leak, stink, or SES light. Wasn't expensive nor was it all that hard either. A couple nuts, a bolt, and a couple hose clamps, and that's it.

Kelly@PCMofNC

Mar 16, 2013
Sparky said:
I really don't know what those PCM upgrades cost at the dealer, but it wouldn't surprise me if it would be money much better spent with a PCM4L tune. You'll get all those latest updates along with a better overall tune.

Thanks for the reference, I appreciate it!

Yes, besides the mail order tuning that we offer - we also have access to the same software as GM Dealers do - so if there are any updates for your PCM we can apply them here for muchhhhhhhhhh cheaper than the dealership.

I would bet your EVAP issue is not related to the PCM needing an update though, there probably is a mechanical issue. The EVAP system is full of little rubber hoses everywhere, and with a lot of mileage and time - they crack. A tiny little crack can throw a light. Hopefully it's something simple that you can get to without dropping the tank though.

Daniel_832029

Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Thanks for all the thoughts. I haven'y had time to do anything this week, seeing as my 2 wonderful girls are out of school for spring break this week, and NEVER get into anything and don't have to be watched like a hawk. But I plan on getting on it when they go back to school. Will keep you guys posted. Thanks again!!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online