P0054 CEL??

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
It says o2 sensor heater issue, I changed the fuse and the sensor (both of them) are brand new. I don't know what else to Check honestly, any ideas to fix this code?

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
blackout51 said:
Yes I did, upstream and downstream

Well good word of advice do not use Bosch for o2 sensors on any car my last car did same thing. That's all that part store had so I said what the hell. Ugh waste of money. Not sure what brands good with these tbs and my Rainier but I seem to trust denso I think acdelco are good could be wrong do a search you'll find plenty

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
blackout51 said:
Yes I did, upstream and downstream

Roadie looked into it and found the Bosch doesn't always work. IIRC, the heater specs are off just enough to cause problems in some of our trucks. Go with the AC Delco brand.
Also, the down stream sensor very seldom goes bad.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That's the issue. It's more of a GM issue than a problem with the Bosch sensor, but here's the detail. The sensor side of the unit is fine. No issues with Bosch sensors. HOWEVER, the heated O2 sensor also includes an electric heating element to get it up to working temp (like a diesel glow plug) when you first start. The GM PCM programmers wanted to detect a problem with an open or shorted heater circuit, so they put a current sensing circuit in the PCM. The Delco unit's heater is closer to the center of the max/min limits for this parameter, so it almost never fails. The Bosch units were made with a normal current closer to one of the limits. With normal manufacturing variation, some of them work, and some of them are just over the limit and fail. Their function is fine, and they operate in closed loop mode exactly as intended. Just the heater current is a little bit off. The GM limits IMHO are tight on purpose to "encourage" people to use the Delco sensors and shun the Bosch. But that's my paranoid side thinking.

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
I had a 00 Lexus rx300 and had to use denso because Bosch would throw codes all day pretty sure same reason Roadie just explained with the heating element

Except those ran you around 170 dollars to not work correctly

blackout51

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
the roadie said:
That's the issue. It's more of a GM issue than a problem with the Bosch sensor, but here's the detail. The sensor side of the unit is fine. No issues with Bosch sensors. HOWEVER, the heated O2 sensor also includes an electric heating element to get it up to working temp (like a diesel glow plug) when you first start. The GM PCM programmers wanted to detect a problem with an open or shorted heater circuit, so they put a current sensing circuit in the PCM. The Delco unit's heater is closer to the center of the max/min limits for this parameter, so it almost never fails. The Bosch units were made with a normal current closer to one of the limits. With normal manufacturing variation, some of them work, and some of them are just over the limit and fail. Their function is fine, and they operate in closed loop mode exactly as intended. Just the heater current is a little bit off. The GM limits IMHO are tight on purpose to "encourage" people to use the Delco sensors and shun the Bosch. But that's my paranoid side thinking.

Well I guess I'll be getting a delco one tomorrow...thanks for all the help

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
According to Bosch who sells universal sensors for the Trailblazer.

"There is also a potential for damaging the computer and/or oxygen sensor if a multiwire universal sensor is connected incorrectly."

Assuming there are heater wattage mismatch issues on some of the sensors, an incorrect install would seem more likely IMHO . So the next time you buy a sensor I would go for the OEM replacement with attached connector. The AC Delco sensors can often be found cheaper than Bosch anyway or pretty darn close. So there is no excuse in buying Bosch and tempting fate.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online