P0017 - Equinox 2.4L

jhemphill

Original poster
Jul 16, 2022
Chicago
Okay, I am giving in to what has been a week-long issue and several parts swapping along the way. I apologize for not finding this already discussed if it has been. The car had both a P0011 and P0117 codes. I found out the hard way, this car does not like using anything but AC Delco sensors, so I have new ones installed in both the Intake and Exhaust solenoids (P0011 coded cleared after the AC Delco sensor was installed), I also replaced the Camshaft Position sensor with a new AC Delco. I recently replace the timing chain as well.

I am still coming up with a recurring P0017 code and I am just beyond aggravation at getting this solved. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do next?

I have a crankshaft sensor on order (should be here later today).

The timing appears correct as all of the indicators line up on the chain and sprockets.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

This Related and On Topic Thread may prove useful... in Particular... the Link mentioned in Post #22:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Here is some more contemporary information from a 2.4L Ecotec Repair performed by Eric "O" at South Main Auto after trying to use his GM OEM Tech 2 and confirming that THE ONLY TOOL WORTH USING FOR A DEFINITIVE DIAGNOSIS for this Type of Investigation is...

An Oscilloscope

He uses his PICO-Scope 4 Channel Unit to Probe the PCM Connections and observe the On Screen Signals for The Crankshaft, The Intake Camshaft and The Exhaust Camshaft and determining whether or not they "ALIGN" with each other when they are supposed to do so. He finishes the Job using a PICO-Scope WP-500 In-Cylinder Pressure Transducer to confirm that the Stretched Timing Chain and Used Hardware are the Culprits.

Take note of the attached Screen Print showing Eric "O" explaining the problem of the P0016 AND the P0017 Codes being addressed in a Comprehensive TSB. Then follow along in THIS Video and observe the actions he took during his Diagnosis of what may involve a SLIPPING Reluctor Ring on the Camshaft courtesy a Non-Keyed "Interference Fit":

ERICOH SHOWSTHE P0017 TSB.jpg

When such FUBAR conditions occur, it causes an irreconcilable issue between the (CKP) Crankshaft Sensor (A/C Sine Wave) and the (CPS) Intake and Exhaust Camshafts (Hall Effect Square Waves) NOT BEING IN TIME enough to allow the Correct EFI Fuel Spray TIMED with the Spark Plug Ignition Firings within their Correct Ignition TIMING ...BTDC (Before Top Dead Center).

I know... It IS a complicated Mechanical Problem and if it proves to be a Slipped Camshaft Reluctor Ring ... Then it WILL wind up being an even More Expensive Repair:

For More information and Instructions on "How To Use an Inexpensive Oscilloscope" ...Please investigate THIS Link:

And if it does become necessary for any GM 2.4L Cam Chain & Phaser R&R Work.... Check out THESE Instructional Videos before diving into this Job, .just so you can SEE EXACTLY What you are letting yourself IN For:

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online