P0016 cpas code ?

shadohc

Original poster
Member
Feb 4, 2012
7
I am having a problem with a P0016 code and have done everything i can think of so far by replacing the cpas in the side of the head to changing oil and flushing it out the problem i am seeing is only on cold starts like the cam phaser is sticking because after i drive it hard for a little bit the check engine light goes out and stays pending in my code scanner any advice is greatly appreciated
 

Wyle

Member
Dec 4, 2011
200
Are you running the right grade oil? Mine calls for 5W30. Check yours ... and please fill out your vehicle info. Thicker oil has problems getting through the CPAS screens and cold oil would only make that worse.
 

shadohc

Original poster
Member
Feb 4, 2012
7
P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)

This is the code in my scanner the vehicle runes fine could this be the sensor on the front of the head or where is the crankshaft sensor
 

shadohc

Original poster
Member
Feb 4, 2012
7
UPDATE

I went to the stealer today and spent four hours there today and it only took them twenty minutes to tell me what I allready know that my cam actuator under the valve cover needs to be replaced. I want to let people know that it is important to change your oil and you wont have this problem. The reason it happened to me was from previous owner neglect this is basically a 1000 dollar oil change because when i changed the dirty oil this problem came with it
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
Sorry nobody else replied, and I'm on a business trip, but I think it's because almost all of us with that specific problem have just replaced the CPAS. I think I only read about 2-3 people EVER needing to go inside and change the guts out of the actuator the CPAS pushes on.

We're all hoping the dealer is right, and guarantees their diagnosis and repair.
 

shadohc

Original poster
Member
Feb 4, 2012
7
the roadie said:
Sorry nobody else replied, and I'm on a business trip, but I think it's because almost all of us with that specific problem have just replaced the CPAS. I think I only read about 2-3 people EVER needing to go inside and change the guts out of the actuator the CPAS pushes on.

We're all hoping the dealer is right, and guarantees their diagnosis and repair.

thanks i allready replaced the cpas in the side of the head
 

Wyle

Member
Dec 4, 2011
200
shadohc said:
thanks i allready replaced the cpas in the side of the head

... AND changed the oil, AND flushed it out. I was out of simple options at that point. I wasn't about to suggest replacing cam or crank sensors or rebuilding the phaser as a guess.

On the Buick my daughter used to drive, the plastic holder for the camshaft pick-up magnet cracked and the magnet shifted. Thanks to a forum like this, it was mentioned as a common problem. Trying to focus on a mirror to get a picture of it with just the sensor removed was tougher than pulling the cover and replacing the magnet.

I second Roadie's hope that the dealer got it fixed right.
 

shadohc

Original poster
Member
Feb 4, 2012
7
Wyle said:
... AND changed the oil, AND flushed it out. I was out of simple options at that point. I wasn't about to suggest replacing cam or crank sensors or rebuilding the phaser as a guess.

On the Buick my daughter used to drive, the plastic holder for the camshaft pick-up magnet cracked and the magnet shifted. Thanks to a forum like this, it was mentioned as a common problem. Trying to focus on a mirror to get a picture of it with just the sensor removed was tougher than pulling the cover and replacing the magnet.

I second Roadie's hope that the dealer got it fixed right.


The reason I got the code was beacuse of the new oil change and also have flushed it more than once and did not have the phaser replaced yet because I feel like it drives and idles fine i think right now it is a matter of getting it to unstick if you are talking abour the sensor on the front of the head i will try and replace that is only a 30.00 part but i thought i would be getting a P0014 if that part was defective
 

tchaney86

Member
Feb 25, 2015
1
Any one solve this problem?? Been trying to fix my trailblazer as well. Same code, P0016. All I can seem to find are dead threads all over the internet.
 

Mounce

Member
Mar 29, 2014
13,667
Tuscaloosa, AL
That means you should start your own and get fresh advice for your conditions.


-welcome to GMTN :tiphat:
Best forum around, especially for questions about trailblazers/envoys/and their cousins.
 

Texan

Member
Jan 14, 2014
622
Welcome to the nation. Can you provide some history of the efforts to solve
the problem. Could be a few different things. Use the search function at the
top of this thread for P0016 and you may find some information.
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,605
Ottawa, ON
Having seen the inside of the engine way too many times, Since you replaced the CPAS, I would suggest this:

1. Replace the camshaft sensor (top front)
2. Replace the crankshaft sensor. Will require a CASE relearn by the dealer
3. Replace the cam phaser

I had a persistent P1345 (similar to your code) and ended up replacing everything including the phaser.
 

Mooseman

Moderator
Dec 4, 2011
25,605
Ottawa, ON
My bad, I was going on the OP's post. I'd put replacing the CPAS as #2.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,444
Posts
639,446
Members
18,668
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online