P0014

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
Hey gents,

The last few times starting my truck when cold After sitting for a little bit the idle goes crazy. High low high low almost stalling then clears up. Check engine light comes on with the P0014 code cam position exhaust side b I believe. I have done some research and it seems one of 2 things. The cam position sensor or the CPAS. Just wondering if there is a way to diagnose which one oppose to just replacing parts. There is oil in the truck and oil changes have been done regularly at 3000 miles

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can pull the CPS and clean it. Clear the codes and give it a try. Then, pull the CPAS. Look for oil in the connector, which would indicate it has failed. Then check the screens. You could try cleaning them but for the trouble of getting to it and relatively low cost, it's better to just replace it. ACDelco or Delphi only.

Reactions: mrrsm

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I had the code a few times, then changed the oil and it has not come back. i was in definite need of an oil change so tried that first and it saved me from buying any other parts

Reactions: djthumper

07_Envoy

Original poster
May 1, 2012
Thanks for the heads up guys. I bought the part have not put it in or changed the oil yet. But it only did it for 2 days and now is gone. I pulled the connector and the plug is dry. I don’t know if i just replace it because I have it or leave it out till it acts up again.

Machoman

Mar 10, 2014
Does anyone have a link to a video that show how to replace the plug? Mine always has oil on the connector.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you have oil in the connector, you need to replace the sensor, as oil is getting thru membrane

Machoman

Mar 10, 2014
I'm guessing that I have oil on the connector from a previous leak. I have replaced the sensor three time in the last year.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Then I would suggest making sure to clean out the sensor and plug with some parts cleaner, and once clean, putting a dab of diaelectric grease in there, and plugging it back in.

If the oil comes back, then I am not sure. What brand of sensor are you using?

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
+1 ---^---

If spraying out the indwelling OEM CPAS Connector with nothing but CRC QD Electronic Circuit Cleaning Solvent does not eliminate the problem…

CRCQDELECTRONICSOLVENT.jpg

Replacing the CPAS Connector in the Harness can be accomplished as follows:

(1) Visit RockAuto via this link and choose one of the two VVT CPAS available Connector/Harness Replacement Items:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...e+valve+timing+(vvt)+solenoid+connector,20157

CPASCONNECTOR.jpg

Then... Follow these “Best Practices” for proper Automotive Harness Wire Soldering:

(1) Disconnect the Battery

(2) Clean the Wiring areas to be Cut and Spliced with CRC “Electro-Motive” Spray Solvent

(3) Only work on One Wire at a Time.

(4) Slide Automotive Quality Corrosion Resistant (GLUE FILLED) Heat Shrink Insulator Tubes on the Body Side of the Harness Wires FIRST.

(5) Use an appropriate Soldering Iron/Gun and SILVER based Solder after wrapping the loose ends together.

(6) After correctly aligning the protective Heat Shrink Tubing, Use a Heat Gun to COMPLETELY Shrink down the Insulators until you can see the Glue Bubbling out of BOTH ends.

That should do the Trick… :>)

Reactions: Machoman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online