Overpriced TV's here in MN

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
At the TV site I journaled my quest to find a second TV which I did and had delivered this week. I was forced to buy out of state because the prices for cars in Minnesota are over the top expensive. Even going one state away has a similar effect to the last time i visited mexico and traded my $ for pesos. Ohio and Michigan, some of the east coast, Texas, Florida and a few other states are extraordinarily cheap by comparison. Without the internet we'd never know how overpriced most everything vehicle related is here. Service is $120 an hour here and $60 other states. A $20,000 boat is $12,000 in other states and the list goes on and on. As a perfect example here is a 2006 envoy denali xl on sale for $26,418. After scouring the national market, this is simply an insulting price. Adding insult is everone of the overpriced tv's I looked at here locally were beat up, and rusty with worn out leather all the way doen to 30,000 miles. These were all $20,000 and over and many of the dealers have gone to the no haggle model so there is no discussion no matter the faults you point out. Lastly i'll add there are almost zero cars for sale buy owner any longer around here.

2006 GMC Envoy XL DENALI | Grey 2006 GMC Envoy Denali SUV in White Bear Lake MN | 2841654956 | Used Cars for Sale on Oodle Marketplace

IslandRunner

Dec 4, 2011
They get enough people walk out they will start to haggle, get some friends to go just to break him. it takes a little work but you can make it a buyers market if you try real hard and have alot a friends, easier to go out of state though huh!

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
IslandRunner said:
They get enough people walk out they will start to haggle, get some friends to go just to break him. it takes a little work but you can make it a buyers market if you try real hard and have alot a friends, easier to go out of state though huh!

I looked for about two months and so still get the notification emails every day. They just repost them for the same price over and over. Even ones that were really abused, still $20,000 even after you point out the bad bumper repair, rust everywhere, bald tires, leather looking like 150,000 miles old. Beyond that every one would have needed so much rehab you wouldn't want it. Take a look at this one. 32,000 miles and is literally the worst shape vehicle I have ever encountered with such low miles. You can't tell from the photos but it is bad to the point of needing doors replaced from rust and severe, severe rock chips to the point of mangling the metal. It looks like it was in a door ding contest and won the prize and it had a bunch of drivability issues. To its credit it was a corporate fleet vehicle and it really shows.

2008 Saab 9-7X 5.3i, $21,490 - Cars.com

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
Completely agree with JKust on vehicle prices in MN. New prices are just like Used prices way over priced.

We purchased a new car in May and sold my wifes.
New 11 Malibu LTZ 4cyl Fully loaded without the V6
Old 02 Grand Am GT2 Fully loaded with leather.

The GA GT we sold up here Private Party and got $6,500 for it. The leather pushed up the price because it is so hard to find but otherwise the price is not that inflated for the area.

We purchased the brand New 11 Malibu in Iowa and got it for $21,700 out the door with winter mats and mud flaps installed. Used the GA GT money for part of the payment.

For the same car up here the best I could get it for was $23,200 and the guy said "I'm loosing money on the winter mats and mudflap install at that price".

Love MN for the cold weather and the warm people but the price of living up here for some things is just crazy.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just makes it easier to work the deal over the internet and pay to fly somewhere and drive it back.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
walterc4553 said:
Completely agree with JKust on vehicle prices in MN. New prices are just like Used prices way over priced.

The cost of living in MN is about the 6th most expensive including the uber expensive Hawaii and people think we are just hicks in the sticks. When I bought my boat 4 years back, I tried to leverage the southern state new boat prices at the MN dealerships and after printing off the internet ads for the same boats but at 70% the cost, the dealers simply said those ads were not real. Of course our boats are mostly manufactured in SC and Florida and so shipping is built into the cost. In that case I ended up buying from an owner who got into boating and as is common, overestimated how much time he had to go boating. He never even broke it in and was already selling it.

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Just makes it easier to work the deal over the internet and pay to fly somewhere and drive it back.

Agreed except Airfare out of MN is crazy expensive and so shipping it was roughly the same as the ticket plus gas without the hassel. My 9-7x arrived in my driveway about 50 hours after I bought it.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Jkust said:
owner who got into boating and as is common, overestimated how much time he had to go boating. He never even broke it in and was already selling it.

The two happiest days in a boat owners life: The day he buys it and the day he sells it. :rotfl:

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
:iagree:
Wooluf1952 said:
The two happiest days in a boat owners life: The day he buys it and the day he sells it. :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIY Professional