Osram Sylvania law suit

snowbear

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
It doesn't appear to be a class-action suit in which everyone can get in on the act, but maybe part of the deal will be a bunch of partial refunds. I've been part of those before from Sears and a couple of others.

I ended up with a $20 gift card. :rotfl:

Reactions: dmanns67

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
geoturtle said:
It doesn't appear to be a class-action suit in which everyone can get in on the act, but maybe part of the deal will be a bunch of partial refunds. I've been part of those before from Sears and a couple of others.

I ended up with a $20 gift card. :rotfl:
"The ruling will allow millions of class members to submit claims for partial refund of Sylvania’s SilverStar headlights, according to an order filed in New Jersey federal court."

Reactions: snowbear

snowbear

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Second paragraph - I have no idea how I missed that; I guess I need to catch up on some sleep!

Thanks for pointing it out.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Glad I didn't get SS then. I bought the next step up from the "low-end" model when I redid mine. Offers a little more light than my old ones did, didn't break the bank since I was strapped at the time.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I knew those bulbs were BS.

May 5, 2013
Just over paid for a set of these last weekend! FML lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I was quite disappointed in them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I knew it didn't make sense to make lights brighter by putting a blue tint on them. Might change the light characteristics and give the illusion of brighter lighting but it's all smoke and mirrors.

Here's the crux of the actual reason why they lost the lawsuit:
https://www.truthinadvertising.org/sylvania-headlights/

July 31st, 2014
In June 2014, a federal judge preliminarily approved a $30 million settlement to a class-action lawsuit filed against Osram Sylvania, Inc. The complaint, which was originally filed in 2011, alleged that, among other things, Sylvania misleadingly labeled its SilverStar® line of automotive head lamps – including the 9004 SilverStar® head lamp – as being significantly brighter and providing greater visibility than standard halogen headlights without adequately disclosing that the company was comparing the SilverStar headlights at 100% brightness and the halogen headlights at only 80% brightness. According to the settlement terms, class members are eligible to receive refunds of $10. In addition, Sylvania agreed to change the packaging to remove the alleged misrepresentations. (Chaudhri et. al v. Osram Sylvania, Inc. et. al, Case No. 11-cv-05504, D. NJ.).

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
SmokeyMcBlazer said:
Just over paid for a set of these last weekend! FML lol
I got a coupon from Advance for them just today. $5 off or something like that, lol not worth my time with fresh-ish bulbs already in. "40% brighter!" I wonder if that claim can still be printed?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online