Oil pressure sender replacement

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Pretty sure my oil pressure sender is leaking again after a backyard mechanic installed an aftermarket replacement about 6 months ago. I'm gonna give it a DIY shot this go-around. Bought the AC Delco part and the 27mm deep socket. Assume best way to get at it is under the truck and reach up where I would grip the oil filter. I have 10" ramps which gets me under easily. Any advice on the removal and replacement process or any tips on what to watch out for. Thanks.

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Did the change out. Tight but easy. Not convinced now it was the source of my slow oil loss which has been slow but steady. Small droplets on oil drain plug which is tight and new with gasket in place. Looks like a small accumulation on the bottom of the 4WD assembly part (don't know part name) that connects to passenger side half shaft. It's adjacent the upper oil pan area and looks expensive :smile: Think I've read threads discussing it's replacement before. Not much play in the half shaft. I'm at 193K on my way past 200K I hope. Any thoughts on what to look for appreciated.

PProph

Dec 7, 2011
are you sure it's oil you're leaking? sounds like your seal on the front dif which isn't terribly hard to change. have you checked your fluid level on your front dif lately? mine was leaking slowly and it accumulated around the oil pan bottom. if it is the driver side seal it's not that expensive or super difficult to do. just so long as you can get your fill plug out :mad::hissyfit:

does it look anything like any of these pics?:

http://gmtnation.com/f79/another-front-diff-fluid-leak-thread-pics-9075/

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
PProph
It looks exactly like your pics. What was the source of the leak? Have not checked diff fluid level in a long time (40K miles). Thanks for the assist!

PProph

Dec 7, 2011
I know that this was one of my problems, that seal was shot and we changed it out, check your front dif level from the fill plug. There are other seals but that one on the driver's side axle is the most common one to replace. There are a number of threads on it, I would search because you can find pretty good how to's on it. The seal that goes back to the propeller shaft will also go and I haven't been under since changing that first seal so I'm not sure if I still have a problem or not.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online