OEM white gauges?

kardain

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I was trolling through the listings of a junkyard that I go to semi annually... The time is coming up and my Sunfire is in need of an minor interior refresh (from 95-99 dash to 03+ dash....).... Anyway ran across this fleet TB (Idaho EMS). I wouldn't have bothered to check it except for the picture listed....

Q50hm.jpg

Is it actually possible that some TB's had white face gauges factory? In case anyone asks, not sure what the price is, it isn't listed anywhere.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yep, mine came with the white gauge faces stock. I didn't even realize it was that rare until I went to my first few meets, and everyone was started asking me if those were US Speedo replacements or not. :confused:

Ahh the days of being a nooblet, I remember them fondly... :cool:

kardain

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Well if they are rare, I know what I'm getting the next time I head over (assuming the cluster is still in the vehicle)

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
The consensus was that they were only available for the first half of the 2005 m/y, as discussed on the OS some time ago.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Is that not the cluster that is used in the SS trucks?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
RayVoy said:
Is that not the cluster that is used in the SS trucks?

Nope, they have a different font, and only the tach face is white. Why they do it that way, beats me...

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Nope, they have a different font, and only the tach face is white. Why they do it that way, beats me...

No kidding, kinda bugs me sometimes. Its the only car Ive driven that has 2 different background colors for the dash, really weird.

But yep, only first half of MY 05 got white face gauges. I think part of the reason GM stopped was due to excess glare in high sunlight areas.

Bub

Nov 21, 2011
My 05 has the white guages as well, when I went to the dealership to have the cluster repaired (stepper motors) they actually gave me a choice if i wanted to get a black cluster, idk if that is because of glare complaints or what, I assume you could swap to a white set if the dealership you take it too arent jags about it

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
Dealer originally "sold" me an '05 2WD by mistake. It had the white face gauges. Drove it for a week and wasn't too fond of the look. Figured it was just something different and I'd get used to it. When I got the 4WD replacement, I was glad it had black gauges. I still like them better.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: Interesting. Never considered a glare factor, although my sunglasses are polarized, so I would never have noticed. :cool:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Were the 04 Rainier clusters replaced with black for 05 because of glare? That is on my mod list, but I don't think any glare will bother me too much.

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
DJones said:
Were the 04 Rainier clusters replaced with black for 05 because of glare? That is on my mod list, but I don't think any glare will bother me too much.

I never had issues with glare when I had the Rainier cluster in my TB

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
Bub said:
My 05 has the white guages as well, when I went to the dealership to have the cluster repaired (stepper motors) they actually gave me a choice if i wanted to get a black cluster, idk if that is because of glare complaints or what, I assume you could swap to a white set if the dealership you take it too arent jags about it

Yep, only a small population of 2005's got the white gauges, there is a bulletin that came out early during the 2005 model year where they would sway the white gauges for the black ones. Considering the glare issue and the issues with stepper motors, I bet most were swapped out.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I see this and I want one. Anyone know a site for custom gauge faces or even something were we can create our own? I had one for my Mitsubishi where it was a template and I was able to print it out and use it. It actually looked ok when it was done on photo paper and printed at a photo place.

Yeah, I revived a 2 year old thread.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
You can get face plates off of Ebay that light up, they're called reverse glow gauges. Try searching your year model. example, for my car I'd search "2004 trailblazer reverse glow gauge"

Edit: you might also wanna add 4.2/5.3 for which motor you have due to the rpm tach will have a different range between motors.

Another edit, actually search for it as "glow gauge" I searched for reverse glow and got nothing but got some for glow gauge. Hope this helps.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
mcsteven said:
I see this and I want one. Anyone know a site for custom gauge faces or even something were we can create our own? I had one for my Mitsubishi where it was a template and I was able to print it out and use it. It actually looked ok when it was done on photo paper and printed at a photo place.

Yeah, I revived a 2 year old thread.
http://www.usspeedo.com/
thats where i got mine.

Attachments

• US SPEEDO 001.jpg
    US SPEEDO 001.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 18

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
IIRC and after checking web site, the Daytona Gauges.
they list a set for 2002-2005, and a set for 2006-2009. (Trailblazer)
i added the envoy bezel because of the chrome trim, the trailblazer does not have those. at least in mine

dvibbert

May 3, 2014
I have the white face gauges in my 05 TB. Thinking about putting black face in. Still undecided, if somebody is interested in the white face gauges let me know

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
dvibbert said:
I have the white face gauges in my 05 TB. Thinking about putting black face in. Still undecided, if somebody is interested in the white face gauges let me know
Pretty sure you could start a bidding war on this forum between almost all the members here because that face is so rare. Anyways, let us know of cost. I'll be in if the price is right. :yes:

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

dvibbert

May 3, 2014
I don't really have a price in mind. I am open to offers. I may just sell the face assembly alone, the whole cluster has the DCIM (?). it lets you know low fuel door open and other options. I just don't have the steering wheel controls so. MAke me an offer and if no offers, I may put it in the for sale section

paulcmartin

May 13, 2013
Why did you have to show me the US Speedo page?? now I found these hahaaha.

Sorry, forgot to attach picture

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Aarkon and dmanns67

racetech421

Jan 16, 2015
I have the white faces on my 05 also. always wondered if they were factory, and I use to work for a GM dealer and didnt really know lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online