not towing but carrying

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
My 03 tb lt hase the front to back factory roof bars but no load bars, what will fit in these or do i have to find factory ones?

I do want to get a baja rack later on. I emailed them if their racks cime with load bars but never got an email back.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Factory ones should be fairly easy to find, there's been plenty of 360/370s made and so they have their fair share in a junkyard. If nothing else, custom ones can be fabricated with the know-how and proper measurements.

May 5, 2013
Don't most of the guys who have roof baskets have to rig up some straight load bars? will stock bars hold a baja rack, i'm not sure it will

Mirror

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I dont know, baja racks wont email me back (neither will green filters)

May 5, 2013
The stock cross bars are curved so the don't offer a flat mounting surface for roof baskets I believe. Hopefully someone with a roof basket will chime in...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They will hold it but we switch to square tube bars and different mounting for strength. Stock setup w basket can't handle as much weight.

Reactions: SmokeyMcBlazer

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Once you get over 200lbs on top you start to compromise the safety of the ride. Just a thought. Don't want someone thinking it's an explorer when it tips. Stiffer springs and shocks too?

May 5, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
They will hold it but we switch to square tube bars and different mounting for strength. Stock setup w basket can't handle as much weight.
and there's your answer...

Reactions: Capote

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you are using a basket and light stuff...say under 100 lbs. You are fine with stock crossbars. I had mine that way for good while. The curve of stock bars doesn't matter with typical mounting clamps baskets come with.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I swapped my roof rails and crossbars for industrial unistrut.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I would predict they wouldn't, because the evil design team on the GMT360 platform made as many things as possible incompatible with every other platform GM made. And then the team's parents discovered them missing from the nursery and came and took them all back home, so they could never commit the same insanity to another platform.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
If the curvature of the cross bars is an issue for things sitting flat could they be installed upside-down? Just a random thought, I have no idea.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: flap00

flap00

Apr 8, 2013
Thanks. We made 4 rectanglar plates that would fit into the stock rail tracks, then drilled and threaded a hole into each of those plates. They can slide in the stock rail track to line up with each of the 4 plates welded to the bottom of each of the four legs of the rack. Those foot plates have a slightly larger hole drilled in them (unthreaded). Then a machine screw (w/ washer) goes through each top plate down into each lower one. So basically, the rack is one solid welded piece of anodized aluminum. It can be removed from the truck in about 3 to 5 minutes by unscrewing those 4 screws....and reinstalled in about the same amount of time. I haven't weighed it, but it's light enough to be carried with one hand. I've carried several hundred pounds on it.

I'll have to take some more photos.

flap00

Apr 8, 2013
Thanks, man. I didn't do the welding personally, but I did everything else, as far as creating the design and making it work. I'm very happy with the result, and I still have a few little things I'd like to do to it, such as lighting and some air dam experimentation.

Reactions: Mounce

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So awesome that you designed this man!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Can I get a pic of mounts and price....

Reactions: Mounce

flap00

Apr 8, 2013
Unfortunately, I had to pop it off today to get my TB into a friend's garage, to do some work on the truck. (Superrr cold here in NJ lately!!) So, it may be a few days before I can take some photos. I'll check with my buddy who does the welding to see what he'd charge to make one. Don't quote me yet, but I'm thinking it might be in the $800-1000 range. I can't go off of what he charged me, because we did a pretty much barter deal where I did some other work for him.

Reactions: Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.